Listen2marley's Indoor Multi Strain Grow - 400W HPS & 105W CFL

listen2marley

so this is my first time posting a grow journal and also my first indoor grow ever. Im on a very low budget so lets see how this goes. im using a 150W HPS with 4 CFLs ( 1-40W 2-20W and 1-15W). for soil im using a local companies organic soil mix. I also have each plant sitting ontop of a root pack from the same company. Right now this is all going on in my 7ftX3.5ftX8.5ft closet. And right now thats about it. for venting I have a 20inch fan blowing with the door cracked open a small amount. Im using general organics grow box for nutrients along with this company in Cali's nutrients made from llama poo. Right now the 2 strains I have growing are spanish seeds auto purple and sensi seeds AK auto. They broke through the soil august 12 outside and were moved right into the closet yesterday. I unfortunatly dont have any equiptment to test pH of humidity or anything like that but I figure they didnt always have all that stuff and people still grew just fine so im hoping for the best. Like I said this is my first indoor grow so Id love any tips and advice anyone has to offer as long as it doesnt include buying more equiptment because like I said im flat broke and have to work with what I got. Id like to add a super silver haze auto and a critical auto in the next week or so. Does anyone think it will be an issue growing 4 autos with what I have for lights? I might be able to add a few more 15W cfls but would prefer not to unless its absolutley necisary. So thats about it. Ill add some pictures either tomorrow or the next day although theres not much to see at the moment besides my ghetto set up. Questions concerns comments anyone? Just let me know on here or feel free to pm me. Thanks all happy growing.

Re: listen2marleys first indoor grow! 150W hps and cfl's all autos all the time!

you could always do what i did and give them natural daylight on the good days , ( if you can ) im lucky i live in the sticks , even a good window will help with your bills and will benefit your plants , wait to seedlings get up a bit though, the bit of cash you do save would buy you a ph pen they are not that expensive , ph is really really important just as important as lights water and air

good luck

Re: listen2marleys first indoor grow! 150W hps and cfl's all autos all the time!

Subbed.

Post us a picture please!
I like to see one or two pictures a day, even of seedlings :)

If you are curious/concerned about PH,
the local company who sold you the soil should be able to tell you soil ph.
You might also being them a FRESH water sample and ask them to do a quick PH test.
My local hydro store, pool store and fish store also do free ph and chlorine tests.

If you are using tap water, I would fill a bucket of water the day before you plan to water.
Letting water sit in open air for a day helps chlorine evaporate.

Autoflower in soil seems to be the most reliable way to a successful first grow. :goodjob::thumb:

3.5x3.5' is enough space for four autoflower girls.
You probably can't flower more than 4 with your lights,
but you could start more girls in 6 weeks with the same lights :)
They don't need as much light when young!

Did you purchase FEMINIZED autoflower seeds?

I agree with Radogast 100%.I don't have ph tester,didn't use it never in my life.My plants are green,strong and healthy.I don't need to test my tap water because i drink it every day and it's 100% drinkable.So i don't have problem with water,ph of any poting soil is usualy 7.I am usualy buying cheap poting soil and i don't use veg ferts if it's autoflower.Reason is simple,it start to flower in 20-30days depend of strain.Every shity soil have enough food for seedling and small plant in veg stage.I agree that ph is important so check your ph and you will know everything before it's too late.I know that plant who grow under ideal condition(light,soil,airflow,co2,ph...)gives more yield and looks better.I don't grow under ideal condition because it's outdoor.But i am still growing and still smoking my plants.Like Radogast said upload photos and it will be a lot easier to give tips or admire your plants.:love:subbed:love:

so quick update. decided to take paddys advice and am letting them grow outside for awhile untill either it gets to cold or I feel indoor will benefit them. I do have some sad new though after putting them outside it rained and the auto purple bent :( Its not broken at all just bent over and super flimsy Im worried it wont make it. would love everyones opinion on if they think itll survive or not and if theres anything at all I can do to help it heal. I also have some bag seeds going. I was told some were grandaddy purp which i didnt believe but out of the blue 2 of them are starting to turn a little bit purple. Can any plant turn purple from its conditions? or is it a genetic trait? well anyways you asked for it so i got some pictures. the bag seeds started in april some of which are much smaller than they should be because I didnt transplant them in time.
auto purp
image13113.jpg
image13114.jpg

what it looks like after I propped it up with dirt and twigs.
image13182.jpg

these are bag seeds... the 2nd and 3rd and 5th photos down if you look close you can see the purple I was talking about. the 6th one is a plant that grew really wierd. Its stopped now but if you look at some of the leafs they look like the nike symbol.
image13184.jpg

image13185.jpg

image13186.jpg
image13187.jpg
image13188.jpg
image13189.jpg
image13190.jpg
image13191.jpg

this is acually 2 plants one is pulled down to a lst because it was blocking the sun from the one behind it.
image13192.jpg
image13193.jpg

Everything looks great except that seedling that is bent.Try to put little stick in the soil next to seedling and tie it.Rain is not only problem with small plants,wind is also enemy if it's blow too strong.If you want grow that plant indoor you need to know one thing.You can't keep it outdoor & then take it indoor.You should combine sun with indoor lights because plant will have big stress,spectrum of sun and any light is not same.I suggest to keep it outdoor at day and move it in the box for few hours before night begins.It will be less stressed when you decide to keep it in the box.How much light do you giving them?:peace:

wasnt talking about the stem. I know its pretty hard to see but if you look at the edges of the leafs and the buds there turning purple more and more every day. hopefully by my next update it will be much easier to see...
So i just got a 400W hps today and I still have 4 cfls equaling 100W so i have 500W total how many plants can I grow at the same time with the lights I have? they will be all autos and maybe 1 photo if that makes any difference? Let me know everyones opinion 5 would be ideal but dont want to try growing 5 and the lights not be enough and waste good seeds.. happy growing!

So I am sad to relay the news my Auto Purple didnt make it. I tryed CPR but she didnt make it :( . also Im not sure if it was nature that killed it or me. It was going to rain yesterday so I brought her inside and put her under the 150W hps and this morn I went to check on her and she was dead as a door nail. Not sure if I had the light to close or if it was just her time because the leafs were yellowing the past 2 days youll see in the picture. On the other hand the AK auto seems to be doing great although I feel its growing a tiny bit slow but its only my second auto so I guess I wouldnt really know lol. Could use everyones opinion on what strain I should replace the auto purple with. Going to post what I have for seeds and would really appreciate if everyone gave me there opinion on 1 auto and 1 photo that they think will be the easiest to grow indoors for a first time indoor grower. Iv been checking the temp and humidity for my grow room and the temp has been staying between 78-80degrees and the humidity between 54-57. Are these ok numbers? Ok well heres what I got in my seed stash

1 cherry amnesia fem- private breeders

1 pandora auto- paradise seeds

1 jack la mota fem/regular?- medical seeds

1 top 44 X bubblegum fem
1 auto blueberry fem- spanish seeds

1 auto amnesia X pink diesel auto fem- seedsman seeds

2 white widow fem- sensi seed

1 critical + auto fem- dinafem seeds

10 super silver haze auto fem
5 new york city diesel regular- mj seeds nl

1 the purps fem-bc bud depot

So I deff am going to be germinating 1 auto and 1 photo either tonight or tomorrow but want to use the 2 easiest
strains to grow indoors since its my first time and I am sure I will make mistakes but really dont want them to die like my auto purple did so would greatly appreciate the feed back. just got a 400w hps bulb along with my 4cfls equaling 100w how many plants would any one suggest I max out at with what I have for lights? Ok now time for the photos

day 8 for the auto AK
image13340.jpg

heres the auto purple at day 8 (2 days ago) opinions on if it looked like it was going to die or if I finished it off having my lights to close or something?
image13341.jpg

day 10 (today) for the auto AK. any one else think its growing a little slow? Or am i just wishing it was bigger lol
image13342.jpg
image13343.jpg

well thats it for now. Like always let me know if you have any questions and I always am looking for any advice and tips so please let me know if theres anything im doing wrong or could be doing better. Thats all for now folks. But before I go Id like to ask everyone for a moment of silence for our fallen purple comrad ::taps::

Seedlings grow a bit slower in large pots than small pots. I recommend patience.

The autopurple from two days ago looks like she was going to die. It was probably something that happened underground.

In general, White Widow it's considered easy to grow. With baby seedlings the difference between easy and hard is not much difference. Your temps and humidity are fine. I'd suggest you grow your cheapest, easy to replace seeds until you get a few plants 5 nodes high.

I agree with Radogast,you need patience but when it start to grow it will make BOOOOOOM.Don't rush anything because you can overfert,burn,stun,fu.k plant.It's auto so you don't have time to recovering.AK look nice and green.
Seedlings grow a bit slower in large pots than small pots. I recommend patience.

The autopurple from two days ago looks like she was going to die. It was probably something that happened underground.

In general, White Widow it's considered easy to grow. With baby seedlings the difference between easy and hard is not much difference. Your temps and humidity are fine. I'd suggest you grow your cheapest, easy to replace seeds until you get a few plants 5 nodes high.

This is way i learned something with autos.
IMG_016629.JPG
This is picture of my previous Auto Mazar.37 days
20140817_175059.jpg
This is picture of Auto Mazar that i grow right now.40 days old.My problem with first AM was shity weather because i grow on balcony.More sunny days had this AM that i'm growing.I scroged my first plant and i will never do it again.Leave auto plants to grow naturally unless you grow some super autoflower strain.They grow much taller and if you don't have place in box you can do lst or scrog.No topping or fimming with autos because it's not worth it.Hope i helped you somehow.My mind works faster when i smoke this strain:woohoo:

absolutley any info and tips at all are helpful so thank you... with a 400w hps how many inches away from the plant should I keep it? I deff think I had it to close and thats part of the reason my purple went from still hanging on alive to dead as a doornail in less than 24hours... anyone ever grow the auto amnesia X pink diesel? Iv always loved diesel strains but have never heard of this strain untill I got it as a freebie from midweek song (great website btw I highly recommend them got my last order in 4 days to the US great customer service and always give you a free shirt plus a 3bee which is 3 different strains for free). If I dont do the pink diesel Im going to do the super silver haze which im not sure if its a super auto or not. Says it finishes in around 75 days and grows over 1meter with an average of 200G per plant. Opinions? Unfortunatly Im not sure of the breeder mj seeds nl doesnt list breeders so I really didnt get alot of info on the strain besides what they list. Thanks for all the help you guys are giving me, appreciate ya taking the time to help out a newbie.

Hey listen2marley. Subscribing. Plants are looking good! Just one little suggestion....please don't take your indoor plants outside. Many pests & other bad stuff can hitchhike into your indoor grow area. I'm so paranoid of this that I take off my shoes before entering my indoor room.

its great to have you bright light! Only issue with that is Im not sure if my AK will finish in time before the weather gets too bad. Any suggestions? And do you have any reccomendations on which auto and which photo I should pick to start next? Also Im wondering how many inches Away from the plant I should have my hps? I just got a 400W bulb, is a higher wattage always better in most cases?

Maybe give her a good safe pesticide dip before bringing her inside if you end up needing to? I know nothing about autos. My 1st was the one I just harvested. Nothing to write home about. Photo strains & buying seeds are like a sub-hobby for me so if you let me know what you like, maybe I can suggest a couple that I've grown.

I use LED & go ~12-18" with power set around 60% in veg. & ~15-22" at full power in bloom. I'm not knowledgeable on HPS but have seen a few posts here on proper distances. Yes, I've heard a 400 provides very good light but your grow area might be too wide (7.5') for one 400 light, but IDK. Will defer to the HID growers on this.

I run two 600w HPS in a 4x8' room. But I do the first 3 or 4 nodes under 215w fluorescent.
I keep fluorescent at 8-10". For 400w HPS I would suggest 3 feet until third or fourth node.
They don't need that much light until they have a lot of leaves.

And patience they don't need any fertilizer for weeks. Water every 2 days in small pots.
Don't make the whole pot drain in larger pots, just water the rootball as you imagine it to be.

thanks for the info everyone. So the AK looks nice and healthy still say its going kinda slow compared to my last auto. Germinated a super silver haze auto for 48hours then planted it taproot down and in less than a day it broke through the soil (which was yesterday) so im thinking its going to be a fast grower since the ak took over 48hours to break soil. Also out of no where the past few days my bag seed plants have their lower leafs turning yellow. any suggestions? One of them looks super weird the leafs are really shiny and are wicked thin and mostly 3 leafs I dont know its just an odd looking plant itll be the last 3 pictures I post let me know what ya think. Also the 2 bag seeds that were turning purple have got much more purple so you can acually see it good in the picture. well thats all for now let me know what ya think and if I can be doing anything better.
AK day 12
image13524.jpg
image13525.jpg

AK day 15
image13526.jpg
image13527.jpg

2 bag seed plants that are turning purple
image13528.jpg
image13529.jpg

and finally the shiny weird plant I was talking about
image13530.jpg
image13531.jpg