Literally grew too tall

ajr1030

Long story short, one plant has grown above the absolute Max height of my light. The rest of the plant is getting the light it should but the main Cola has gone above the lights by about 4 inches. I tried to hold it down with some cord but I end up blocking light to other plants.
Considering it’s just the main cola is this even a reason for concern? Meaning will the main cola grow bud because the rest of the plant getting light will encourage growth in the main or does it absolutely require direct light?

As always any answers or solutions are greatly appreciated

Try to keep light and airflow reaching the bulk of your first and biggest flowers equally. If you're going to supercrop a bud that's already got some weight to it, make sure you've got your trellis or SCroG net or whatever ready to support the bud once you weaken the stem.

How far along is the plant? What are the trichomes looking like on that bud?

As always any answers or solutions are greatly appreciated
I would also suggest to supercrop it. It is simple, last year I resorted to it because I let my plants height get away from me and I need to grow within stealth height limits, some stems I supercropped 18" below their tips. This year when I supercropped I ended up abandoning using my fingers, and instead just used a pair of pliers with some tape around the jaws, no problems.

Sounds like you have this going on. This was like my 3rd grow ever. I put a SCROG Net up high so I could tuck branches under it to keep them off the lights.
GEDC5554.JPG

Considering it’s just the main cola is this even a reason for concern? Meaning will the main cola grow bud because the rest of the plant getting light will encourage growth in the main or does it absolutely require direct light?
You asked if it will grow bud since the rest of the plant is going to be within the optimum distance from the light. It probably will but certainly not as much as it could. If the tip of the main stem is not getting enough light, which it will not since it will be above the light, then it will not get large nor produce good amounts of trichomes and terpines that everyone wants.

Lot of options; bend and tie it down, twist the stem to soften it and bend it over, cut the stem and let two or three of the nodes produce some newer apically dominant stems and probably several other options. Plan ahead for the stretch 'cause once that starts this particular plant could get tall enough again and be back into or above the lights.

I have let a plant or two grow up into the lights or past them to see what happens. It seems that it results in smaller buds if they are not within the right height range below the lights.

Super Crop it and get creative with tying the stem.

I usually wire tie the bent over top cola back to its main stem to keep it from straightening back up. Inna week or so all the flowers on that main stem will turn toward the light and have even more room to get fatter.

I've tied them to the lamp fixtures, to the tent poles just about everything I could wrap a wire around I've done it.

The trick to super cropping is the bend.

Where and how to bend.

Where - bend the main stem about 12" or so under the lamps.

How - Pinch the stem hard between your fingers at the location you want to bend.

This softens the stem so you wont snap it in half. Then just go easy and bend where you pinched.

It's handy to have a wire tie within reach in case you snap it too hard. Then with the wire tie just tie the bent over top back to the main stem. She wont even skip a beat.

GL take some pics.

I love it when my plants get so big they dont fit under the lamps. Its usually a sign of a good harvest.

Super Crop it and get creative with tying the stem.
I love it when my plants get so big they dont fit under the lamps. Its usually a sign of a good harvest.
True that! I had over 30 yoyos holding up supercropped stems on my last grow. I got 6lbs 11.5ozs out of three plants. That harvest filled 19 gallon jars of cured flower.

True that! I had over 30 yoyos holding up supercropped stems on my last grow. I got 6lbs 11.5ozs out of three plants. That harvest filled 19 gallon jars of cured flower.
Wow, I'd love to see a pic of that.

Thats an impressive haul. I used yoyo's for a while then started using heavier duty garden wire - tie the super cropped top back to the main stem. The heavier duty wires hold the bend in place until the plant fixes the bend. Which is over night.

I usually don't over bend but when I do.... I stay at a holiday inn for the night. :D:passitleft:

Dang that’s awesome! Can you put a picture of what your talking about with the yo-yos? I just got 8 quarts off my 4 auto plants, I’d lose my mind with 19 gallon jars full!

Looks like their have been a few or more peeps here who have experience...

Well lets just say under estimated total stretch of the plant once in flowering with dominate genetics or did I veg to long ?

None the less super cropping is the only method at this stage, bend the stem :green_heart:

I used string on this one !

Some times pinching the stem with out snapping it, can be applied as well.

I must admit doing this for the first time can be nerve racking but if gentle & care is taken you can pull it off :yummy:

Dang that’s awesome! Can you put a picture of what your talking about with the yo-yos? I just got 8 quarts off my 4 auto plants, I’d lose my mind with 19 gallon jars full!
Yo-yos are specifically intended to hold up heavy or supercropped branches. They are a springloaded device with a plastic hook or hooks for putting on the stem and the other end has the spool of monofilament line and is attached to structure above the plants. In the first pic you can see some of the lines reflecting light but there are many more that don’t show up in the photo. They’re inexpensive and so valuable.
@Stunger

47AB8160-4167-407A-832D-FF418E7EDD9F.png

C7FEB5E1-DA71-4781-B20F-FDC0087E0CE5.jpeg

Looks good @Rider509

How did your RKS (road kill skunk) from BOEL turn out??

I'ma big BOEL fan - Coots mix here. He's responsible for saving a lot of the genetics from the BOEL days.

The One - is from seeds they got out of a surfboard Mike Hynson stuffed with weed sent back from Kandahar.

Looks good @Rider509

How did your RKS (road kill skunk) from BOEL turn out??

I'ma big BOEL fan - Coots mix here. He's responsible for saving a lot of the genetics from the BOEL days.

The One - is from seeds they got out of a surfboard Mike Hynson stuffed with weed sent back from Kandahar.
I’ve only ever grown the Cambodian-Thai x ‘79 BOEL Skunk from Golden Coast Genetics. It’s been a hands down favorite of my friends that smoke. From the history I’ve read the Brotherhood of Eternal Love grew that Afgan indica on the island for many years. The Cambodian-Thai was known on the islands as JohnnyD after the guy that crossed the two. I can’t give you a personal report because I stopped smoking 30 years ago! I just enjoy the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom