Little Ebb & Flow Idea

gr0w

hey guys,
building and ebb and flow multi site system and was looking at buying a Brain Bucket Controller with float switches and such. but they are like $250 and I think I can make a much simpler design.

I came up with little idea and drew it out for a visual.

the idea is that,

- Nutrient water sits in the reservoir being aerated with some air stones,
- Timer kicks on that is set to a specific time set to when all buckets are full,
it then empties the water from the reservoir into the Control Bucket, while filling the multiple sites.
- Once the buckets are filled, the timer will shut off allowing the buckets to stay filled for a set time
**There is an overflow max drain in case the water keeps flowing (if it does it drains right back into the reservoir)* (this is set to the max height of the Site buckets)**
- After the buckets have been filled for a set period of time, the second timer will kick on to drain the Control Bucket and the multiple sites. The pump will drain right back into the reservoir where it will sit till the process repeats.

here is the concept drawing.
e_f_idea.png

I know my Microsoft paint skills are pretty amazing.

this all makes perfect sense in my head, but before I go and buy materials and stuff, I wanted to run it by a few others to make sure I'm not going crazy thinking this will work.

any and all input is much appreciated.

Thanks guys

Re: Little EBB & FLOW Idea

Some people use float switches like on a toilet or sump pump, sorry that's all I got.

I would need one that cuts power to the pump or would it just keep pumping water after the float stops the flow?

I'm also looking at trying to do something like this without buying an expensive controller. my idea includes using pumps that will shutoff automatically when there is no water to pump. one pump in the rez and one in the control. just use timers to activate them. I like your overflow idea, but you can never have the rez higher than the overflow in that case.

I use one timer for the water; it turns it on for five minutes, then off for three hours and repeats. No overwatering that way and lots of oxygen for the roots. I do ebb and flow with net pots filled with hydroton;

Back
Top Bottom