Little Help? Ventilation Fan Size: Noise Level

MSL777

Hey fellow growers I need a little help on fan section. I'm starting a indoor grow in a 3x3x6 grow tent with a 600W Full Spectrum LED. I want to put a carbon filter and inline fan in the tent but I'm concerned on size. Here's where my heads at; I'm looking at getting a 4inch or a 6 inch inline fan and carbon filter. Both have plenty of power to change out the air in the tent as its only 54 cubic feet. My concern is that if I buy a 4 inch fan will I need to turn it up to a higher setting once the plants go into full flower mood to get rid of the heavy smells, making the fan ultimately louder. Or, If I buy a 6 inch fan I can set it at the lower speed all the time because the large size is moving more air? I hope I explained that right. I only want to buy one and I don't want it to be loud. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and happy growing.

The purpose of the fan is to remove heat from the tent. The filter is there so the exhausted air does not smell. Depending on your incoming and ambient air temperatures the amount of air to be exhausted will change. The ratings they place on fans and filters are not the combined unit. You lose 1/3 to 1/2 your fans rated air volume with a filter. The smaller the filter size the greater the loss. The smaller the duct size the more airflow you lose and the louder it will get. With only one 600w equivalent led a little 4 in package would keep up in a conditioned space, i.e. the tent in an empty bedroom. You'll likely end up wanting more light than that. I'd say grab yourself an inexpensive 6 in package from the rainforest and call it a day. You could run a 6 in filter on a 4 in fan with 6 in duct and that would also keep noise down while decreasing the cost of equipment and helping it perform well.

Thank you Turbo. That is great info. Is it worth it to just get a relatively inexpensive 6 in package from the rainforest?Are they reliable? I've seen packages with the fan, filter, clamps and duct work for 125$. The ones at the hydro stores around me are 185$ for just the fan and filter. The lesser package would be better that way I can get another light and stay in budget. Thoughts?

I personally run the vivosun brand filters, the carbon is supposedly slightly lesser quality but I'm on my 3rd grow and for the price I treat them as disposable. There are guys here running the same brand fan and no major complaints you should be just fine with them.

That's the exact set up I was looking at. VIVOSUN 4" Inline Duct Fan w/ Controller& Air Carbon Filter& 8FT Ducting Combo. So when I get a second light I will get a 6in filter and 6in ducts to help it perform better. Man, thank you for all you help.

A 4" is all I run in my 30 x 30 x 60 tent with 2 300 watt leds. The controller wasn't maxed out either. Temps stayed real close to ambient. I ran the duct work from the carbon scrubber to the fan that was outside the tent sitting on top of it for vibration isolation. There isn't much room inside these small tents.

Everything is in and i brought one girl in from outside to test out the new setup. (Unknown Strain) I had to supercrop her a bit for size. Im 16 inches from the light. Ive been vegging her since june in a 3 gallon pot with FFOF OUTDOOR . Im kinda new to the indoor game. Any suggestions to make her better are appreciated. 73 degrees 54% humidity 3 gallon pot FFOF with a once a week feeding of 20-20-20 plant food.
I have a lot to change on the next run, this is mainly to see what the light and setup can do.

IMG_0579.jpg
IMG_0578.jpg

Back
Top Bottom