LJFM White Widow Grow

LJFM

Hi all,

Well here's the background. I tried, unsuccessfully to do a closet grow a few years back. Recently I was thinking about how I could try again and hopefully see it through to the end. I decided an old bass amp I had would make a nice little cabinet for a stealth grow.

A buddy of mine had a bunch of new plants going and had a few extra clones at about 3 or 4 weeks from root for backup but he was ready to just kill them. So I decided I would save one particularly bushy looking little gal that is supposedly white widow. I say supposedly because the guy I got it from cloned it from a plant that he had received from some OTHER guy so exact genetics aren't known for sure. (Although from what the mother tasted and smoked like it certainly seemed like WW).

Anyways I took it home in a solo cup and transplanted to a box with about a gallon of an organic blend soil with a plethora of goodies in it - the name escapes me. Watered it and had it running with lights (2 23w CFL all I have right now but I would love suggestion on what 2 CFL's I should use for flowering) all night and it perked up nicely.

I'm using lst though she was a bit tall when it started I think it will turn out fine. I've got room for her to i'd say double at least in height in the rest of the box so I decided today to put her on 12/12 to hopefully keep her as short and bushy as possible.

Let's see, the temp is around 70 degrees Fahrenheit while the lights are running. I'm surprised at how cool it is considering I don't have fans running in it yet. I make sure to let it breathe once in a while so it's not stale in there and it seems to be vented fine.

Oh! I used some GH FloraNova Grow for the second water but now that I've got her flowering I'll be switching to a different mix, more info on that to come.

Now, she does have some yellowing at the tips, not sure if it's nute burn or something else but overall she seems alright.

This is a second attempt but I am still a total noob and happily accept tips and tricks :thumb:

I'm a little gonezo on my buddy's last crop of Superman so I'm sure I've missed some info, I'll check back often to answer any questions lol. On to the pics...:grinjoint:

View inside the amp:
k11.jpeg

A top Down View:
k21.jpeg

This is what would be the top if she wasn't tied. She would be a little over a foot tall untied:
k3.jpeg

And this is a profile to show how tall she is:
k4.jpeg

Well that's what I've got going on! Thanks for looking and thanks in advance for any feedback!

Well here she is, 2 weeks into flower. I cut some of the strings since the general shape I was going for is there now. Trimmed a few branches underneath for air flow and to hopefully support fuller top growth. I watered with a Mixture including GH Bloom, molasses, and Bud Candy nutes which she seemed to like so I'll continue to use it every other water, with a watering every 3 or 4 days.There are bud sites all over and my beautiful little bush is starting to look like a real lady. I do have some burn marks on leaves that's just from them getting up too close to the lights while I wasn't paying attention. Comments, questions, concerns, let me know!

And now on to the pics

130.jpeg

213.jpeg

This is what would be the highest branch not tied down
412.jpeg

Random branch seems to be doing well
312.jpeg

:peace:

Awesome, Dude!

I just saw you on another blog! The reason your tips are turning brown could be heat stress. It's also a sign of overfert, but from what you say, you only fert them every two waterings (which translates to about once a week, which is perfect).

I can't believe you only water only once every 3 - 4 days! I water mine almost every day. Granted my pots are smaller, but still ....

Once the pots start feeling light, you should add more water. When the girls are young, you want to be careful with overwatering. When they're older, expecially in flower, it's hard to overwater them. That may be the reason the tips are turning brown.

Whatever the reason, it's pretty minimal and is nothing to worry about.

I grew a WW in my last grow and it turned out very nice. She gets her name because all the trichome crystals make her look like a Chinese widow (Chinese wear white to funerals, not black like Westerners.)

If this is your first grow, bro, you're doing fine. By the way, did you get some new CFL's? You mentioned you were looking for some.

If you visit my blog, you will see an extreme example of topping designed to keep the girls to a manageable size. I'm growing a sativa strain. These strains are notorious for their height.

@ggrant This is my second attempt but this one is further along than the last one got. Pretty much all the browning is around the lights so I'm assuming that it's heat stress. Like I said earlier i've now got 2 23w and a 42w cfl's and they are all 2700k for flowering. I'll try watering a little more frequently and see how she responds to that. Thanks for commenting, I've been looking for some confirmation that I'm not screwing things up too bad.:thanks:

I can't wait to see her dripping with trichs!! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it:ganjamon:

Cool!

Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

I was just looking through your blog again and I notice that you said you were using no fans. Athough the temperature may seem reasonable, with any air circulation, the leaves on top get no relief from the radiation of the lamps. My lamps are way hotter than yours, but the fact that my grow space is larger and has better circulation keeps the top leaves from burning. I would try to put a small fan of some kind in there. Maybe you can get one of those tiny table top ones or jury-rig an old PC fan to do the trick.

I'm almost certain that's why the top leave are getting burned.

If this isn't feasible, you'll still be OK. Just air out the cabinet as many times as you can. I have a door to my grow space and I periodically open and close the door quickly to create a cheap pumping effect to get the air circulating.

Hey guys. Yeah I still don't have any fans running in it but every night when the light pops on I open the whole case up and have a box fan near it so there's a bit of circulation. But I do go to bed while the lights are still running so there is a good amount of time with lights on and minimal circulation. I do have a few pc fans lying around but a psu wouldn't fit in my box and it would look weird to have it sitting on my amp( Don't know if I mentioned this before or not but this is a stealth grow - best if my roomies don't know about it)

I looked around for some sort of tiny fan that can plug into a regular outlet at Wally world but everythings shuffled for Christmas so I gave up looking. I'll check around the internet too, see if I can find anything reasonable.

I'd like to post pics since I just did some light pruning but she's still sleeping for an hour or so and I have to wake up early to cover the Christmas Eve shift at work all day bleh..

Thanks again for the help!

They look healthy.

Okay couldn't resist waiting and seeing how she was doing. Who needs sleep anyways lol, i'm on vacation for a week after tomorrow(today) so no big deal.

ggrant, the lights go on at 2 am (just switched it to 1 actually) when the 'mates are sleeping. Nobody has reason to come in my room and there's not much light that leaks so it hasn't been spotted. And during the day it just looks like my amp which has been there forever with clothes on top of it and one of my guitars next to it.

Just a couple shots.

In the box. Left light is one of the 23w's, 42 w on the right and that little brown bit at the bottom left is where the other 23w is, hitting the side nicely. The cola all the way to the right and closest to the light is the main top.
214.jpeg

And here's a close up of that "top" cola
133.jpeg

Keep posting pics, LJ. People never get tired to seeing these beauties!

How long do you intend to flower? I think WW is ready in about 10 weeks. I had one in my last grow which I flowered for 12 weeks. The reason it took so long is that I had five plants that almost reached the top of my grow space.

They were so big that the light only shone on one side of the plant. Every few days, I would rotate the plants so that light could reach the other side. The bummer, though, was that the side facing the bulb was so close that part of the colas got fried, I don't mean, "dry and toasty, but still serviceable," but dried leaves that turned to powder when you touched them.

Bummer man, I repositioned my side light last night and ended up losing a leaf but no bud sites got hurt. I was actually going to trim that leaf soon anyway as I plan on doing a pretty big trim in the next few weeks because it is already quite bushy and there are a lot of new small branches with bud sites on the bottom. Don't know if I should trim them and focus on higher potency top colas or just try and grow as much physical bud as possible...

As for flower length I don't have anything set. I'm aiming for the more cerebral high (which the mother plant was really good for) but the body buzz is helpful for my back and knees so I'll probably harvest at 75% cloudy 25% amber. My birthday is in March, it would be awesome if I could have some to smoke for it. I think it's possible, probably won't have time to cure but I could probably quick dry a branch or something.

Ah, getting ahead of myself though, we'll see what happens.

I need to water tonight so I'll try and take some pics and post in a bit. Need to smoke another bowl first though, working today really threw me off kilter ;)

Alright pic update time. Oh and Merry Christmas everyone!:peace: This baby is the best gift I could have ever asked for :)

Day 17 Flower

Here's a side branch from the main shoot that's taken off as it's own cola. As you can see, it got some major burn when it was starting off but it's recovering nicely now
134.jpeg

A couple of pretty branches
215.jpeg

Here's a shot at some of the undergrowth I was talking about.
313.jpeg

And another, thoughts or experience on pruning stuff like that?
413.jpeg

Tasty
511.jpeg

612.jpeg

My baby, you can see the undergrowth pretty good here too
713.jpeg

The canopy line's not the best but it was pretty big when I started LST so I did the best I could without hurting her too much.

Much love everyone:love:
:yahoo::yummy:

Back
Top Bottom