LKABudMan Back In Deep Water: 4 Purple Haze Clones In RDWC

Date: 6/14/22 - Day 65 of flower (W10D2)
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 100% 18 Inches away - 45k LUX
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan (on ceiling)
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Mega Crop, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator, Big Bud, Bud Candy
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.1pH)
Pests - Spider Mites (Sprayed with SNS 217-C + Lady Bugs)

The dehumidifier stopped working again last night:rolleyes:. I did find the drain plug was loose so that may have been the issue. Either way, I'll go down and empty it tonight manually just to make sure it stays on.

Last night I drained 15g from the res and put in 15g of well water. Then I filled it with an additional 4g of well water + 1ml pH down. That bought it from 1200/5.6 to 720/6.0. As a bonus, with my 600ft deep well the new res came down to 66f. When I checked this morning it was 750/6.1/69f so I added another ml of pH down to bring it to 6.0.
[feed]

I also found a leaf with some additional mite damage last night and scoped it, and sure enough one of the little bastards was moving around on there. So I released my ladybug army on them. I still have a couple hundred of them, so I let about 100 go last night. They're taking their job seriously ;)

I also got some good tric pictures last night. I took a mix from top and bottom buds from all of the plants. Some look riper than others, but they all look like they're in the window.

Then when I went down this morning it looks like the purple spread a bit last night. I think the harvest window is here.

So my plan now is to harvest this Saturday 6/18 on Day# 69 of flower. That means I really should've drained the entire res last night:oops: Tonight I'll drain the res and fill it with plain pHed water. Then on Thursday I'll turn off the lights for good. 36 hours later it's chop time:yahoo:

6/14 (Tue) - Final flush for 48 hours
6/16 (Thu) - Lights out for good (36 hours before chop)
6/17 (Fri) - Prepare bud washing station and drying closet
6/18 (Sat) - Harvest Day!
6/19-6/28 - Drying time (up to 10 days)

@Bill284 I haven't harvested yet without your OK and really value your opinion... What do you think? Do you see anything telling me to wait?

The next post will probably be from the harvest this weekend. Have a great week everyone!
Good morning LKA Budman, sorry I'm late getting back to you.
Easy rule of thumb is never harvest white pistils.
When she is finished flowering and building for you their white pistols turn red and crinkle in.
If you can see white she is still in flower mode.
Their nutrient uptake will grind to a haul at the end aswell.
Are they all the exact same age.
Some link really close, some look 2 weeks from harvest, unless your throwing fox tails, then your strictly tric's.
Clear/cloudy energetic feeling.
Cloudy/amber relaxed feeling.
So your close,nin the window so to speak.
Harvesting Saturday is OK as I said they are close enough.
Not quite finished but close enough for your scheduled chop.
If Saturday is best for you fine, personally I'd wait if I wanted max size and quantity.
A week will give let the swell finish and pistils crinkle in.
But there are 2cbuds that have clearly full white pistils?
BTW that garden is Amazing.

Stay safe
Bill

Thanks @Bill284 yes they are all the same age. I definitely have some foxtailing, especially in the middle of the tent. Everything else has turned and crinkled in, even the lower buds. In the past week even some of the foxtails started turning color.

This has been a difficult grow to check the pistils, since they turned orange on week 3/4 when I had to put in the second net. Since then, most of the growth has been foxtails. At this point, I'm basing their level of readyness on the fact they are eating and drinking less, the smell has changed and intensified, and the calyx are starting to swell. The trics look like they are ready as well.

I feel I could probably go another week, but with the spider mites still in there I think I'll feel better harvesting this weekend. That also gives me more than a week to deep clean the tent before the next clones are ready to go into the tent.

Thanks for your feedback Bill and I'm glad to her things are turning around for you. Middle of June and you finally have decent sunshine up there! The greenhouse looks great, can't wait to see if full of green! Have a great Humpday.

I kinda agree with go ahead harvest as well. No point just letting plant die at end of it's cycle.. never seen one go that far to die. Would it. It's a weed . Like weed ina yard hell will it die or winter will kill it

I kinda agree with go ahead harvest as well. No point just letting plant die at end of it's cycle.. never seen one go that far to die. Would it. It's a weed . Like weed ina yard hell will it die or winter will kill it
Thizz. But they still do anything to survive and thrive.
I say harvest by the trichomes ;)

V

Thanks @Bill284 yes they are all the same age. I definitely have some foxtailing, especially in the middle of the tent. Everything else has turned and crinkled in, even the lower buds. In the past week even some of the foxtails started turning color.

This has been a difficult grow to check the pistils, since they turned orange on week 3/4 when I had to put in the second net. Since then, most of the growth has been foxtails. At this point, I'm basing their level of readyness on the fact they are eating and drinking less, the smell has changed and intensified, and the calyx are starting to swell. The trics look like they are ready as well.

I feel I could probably go another week, but with the spider mites still in there I think I'll feel better harvesting this weekend. That also gives me more than a week to deep clean the tent before the next clones are ready to go into the tent.

Thanks for your feedback Bill and I'm glad to her things are turning around for you. Middle of June and you finally have decent sunshine up there! The greenhouse looks great, can't wait to see if full of green! Have a great Humpday.
Thanks LKA, :ciao: greenhouse is complete in a sence.
Fully functional, but I want to run electricity, hook up a discharge fan and lights.
Maby a laundry tub with water if I have room.
Shelves and odds and ends but mostly finished.
Your ladies must smell fantastic now.
I love opening the tent and getting hit with a wall of flowers smelling like heaven.
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Thanks LKA, :ciao: greenhouse is complete in a sence.
Fully functional, but I want to run electricity, hook up a discharge fan and lights.
Maby a laundry tub with water if I have room.
Shelves and odds and ends but mostly finished.
Your ladies must smell fantastic now.
I love opening the tent and getting hit with a wall of flowers smelling like heaven.
Hope your having a great day my friend.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill
@Bill284 That sounds like a lot of work left to do. Of course the more you set up now, the easier it will be to grow out there. Running water sure is nice ;)

My basement smells fantastic right now, let alone the tent. Still the berry smell she's had all along, now with a bit of skunk thrown in. YUM:yummy:

Hope you're having some nice weather up there. Have a great one.

:yahoo: Nearly there. Nice work mate and the pictures are great. Love those ladybirds (yeah I'm from the UK) getting to work.
Thanks @VetSmoke85 yea they really pulled through for me in these last couple weeks. I didn't want to spray again this late. Those little eating machines are my heros!

@Trala I'd love to see what your buds look like right now. You posted the tric pics but without pictures of the buds it's hard to put them in context. Hope this helps.
Thank you so much!

I’m going to get some pics today.

Omg I hate this part of the grow so much!

I think they might be ready.

P.s. your grow is mint!

*** Harvest Day ***
Date: 6/18/22 - Day 69 of flower (W10D6)
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - 36 Hours of darkness
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan (on ceiling)
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Mega Crop, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator, Big Bud, Bud Candy
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.1pH)
Pests - Spider Mites (Sprayed with SNS 217-C + Lady Bugs)
Weekly temperatures

The pump on my dehumidifier stopped working last week, which means I have had to empty it manually. Even emptying twice daily it filled up and shut down a couple of times. Overall, it stayed on long enough to keep these ladies out of trouble through harvest.

So I ended up keeping these girls in the RDWC system for 84 days without changing. When I finally removed the plants and drained the system, it was pretty dirty. Next time I'll drain it at least once, at flower week 3.

Every time I harvest, I think about how hard/long/tedious this would be by myself. I understand why people call it trim jail. Fortunately, with my wife and son helping out, we were able to get all the plants harvested, rough trimmed, washed and hung in one day. By myself it would have taken a week easily.

As it was, we made a nice Saturday out of it. We ordered sushi for lunch and had a pleasant day listening to tunes and trimming bud. By the end of the day, though, we were all exhausted. We left most of the cleanup for the next day.

Thanks to all of you that hung around on this grow. It's been quite the ride, and I'll admit I doubted several times whether I'd get to harvest. Well, here we are, and hang on for a LOT of pictures ;)

The plants were in the dark the last 36 hours, from Thursday night until we chopped on Saturday. Here are the final tric shots after the 36 hours of darkness, right before chop.

I want to give a shout out to @Sierra Natural Science - I found the spider mites about 3 weeks ago and thought I was cooked. Luckily, I had the SNS 217-C and used it as soon as I found the little buggers, drenching the ladies four times in the next weeks or two. It got rid of 95%+ of the mites, allowing the ladybugs to take care of the rest through harvest. We found very few signs of any mites on the plants, and no webs. I highly recommend the SNS 217-C, especially if you need something to help with mites in flower.

The ladybugs were everywhere. We released some outside, some upstairs on my wife's plants, and there's still plenty crawling and flying around the basement. We pulled them out of our hair and off our hands/arms/necks all day. I sure an glad they don't bite or anything.

The other good news, no seeds! Last grow I had a few seeds and was worried some of the pollen would be in the tent. There were some super swollen calyx, especially in the larfy bud, but no signs of any seeds. YAY!

I usually chop the plant at the base and hang upside down above the table to trim the branches. Since these ladies were so tangled in the net that wasn't possible. We still ended up processing one plant at a time, which gave us a few breaks between.

• First we chopped all the branches off above the first net, untangled them from the second net, and laid them out on the trimming table.

• Then we wet trimmed all of the branches. We left most of the sugar leaves on and a couple of fan leaves as well. All of the large fans were removed. We also made sure there was airflow between the buds and the stem, by pulling the bud away from the stem and pinching out the little fan leaves between the stem and the bud. This leaves a little air pocket around the bud, allowing airflow while drying. We ended up with four 1 gallon zip locks stuffed with trim, which we'll make bubble hash out of soon.

• After trimming all of the branched we weighed to give me an approximation of the finished weight. I use two different formulas (below), and for the last grow the final weight came in right between the two numbers.

• After weighing, we took 15-20 minutes to get as much of the finger hash off as possible. These were some VERY sticky ladies, and by the time we were done with a plant we could not even put down the trimming scissors. We ended up with a huge ball of finger hash ;)

• Next each bud was washed in baking soda/lemon juice and rinsed twice. I put airstones in my buckets to get plenty of agitation in the water. While the buckets after an indoor DWC grow are not nearly as dirty as after a soil grow, I did want to get rid of as many bugs as possible. Also, I believe that washing the buds help with the dry and cure.

• After washing, each bud is hung on a hanger with a binder clip. I try to stagger the buds on the hanger to keep them from touching each other as much as possible. Again, I want as much airflow around each bud as possible.

• The hangers stay in the basement for the first 4 hours or so, then we bring them upstairs to the drying closet.

Here's the harvest tally. All told, we ended up with almost 11 pounds wet, nearly 5 kilos. There's some larf in there, but even that seemed pretty dense. I'm estimating a little over 2 pounds dry, about 1 kilo. I think the difference in weight for the plants was the difference in how they were spread out. Jolt and Jazz were spread out further and therefore had more weight. I was surprised to see Jolt, who we had to cut off 1/2 of, end up being the heaviest.

I'm hoping the drying will take 7-10 days. I used this closet to dry my last harvest and it worked really well, keeping the drying buds around 60f and 60% RH for 10 days. There's an A/C duct in the closet and I used a humidifier set to 60% to keep the humidity up after the first day or two. Of course, that was April and this is June, so the closet's going to be a little warmer this time. I could try to push the upstairs A/C a little cooler, but it's 20 years old and on it's last leg. I'm actually lucky that that closet seems to be a few degrees cooler than the rest of the upstairs, staying around 65f. I'll probably have to put the humidifier in there today, but I think this closet is going to do OK. I'll check back in a week or two with a final weight and wrapup for this grow. Hope all the dads out there had a great Father's Day weekend and have a great week everyone.

Great looking haul once again Budman! :thumb:

So youre going for dry trim huh? Couple lbs to trim when fully dried going to be such a jail.

Enjoy the summer and harvest!
- V

Thanks @Verbalist We wet trimmed most of the larger fans. When we buck the buds from the stems after drying we'll knock off any larger leaves covering the buds. I don't really worry about the sugar leaves, though. Most will stay on the buds through the cure in the Grove bags. A lot of this will be used for edibles. If I'm using a bud to smoke, I'll clean it up a bit before smoking. I do like a bit of sugar leaf in the grind, though :)

We've had perfect weather here the last couple of days. It's a nice break from the heat and humidity that we usually get here in all summer. Of course, it's all good when you're smoking a fattie in the pool:blunt::surf:

Hope you're enjoying your summer as well.

Monster harvest, Budman! Congrats.

I know you're glad you had help! :Rasta:

Back
Top Bottom