LKABudMan Back In Deep Water: 4 Purple Haze Clones In RDWC

Hello from beautiful Lake Anna Virginia. I started growing in September 2021 after studying and gathering for a couple of months. For my first grow I grew four plants in DWC. For my second I am growing three plants in soil, currently finishing the third week of 12/12. My wife and son both help out with the plants. While I like a lot about growing in soil we all really missed DWC. I like mixing the nutrients and checking the pH/ppms. I guess I'm still a math nerd at heart ;) And I LOVE how quickly the plants grow in DWC. I have time lapse camera for both tents and have watched the plants in both DWC and soil. While I understand the need for a wet/dry cycle in soil I can see that as they dry out they slow down. As soon as they are watered they spring into action. With DWC they are always ready to go.

For my third grow I will be growing four clones in DWC/RDWC. The plan is to take four clones from Jenny, a Purple Haze grown in soil. I'll veg those clones in DWC in 5g buckets in my 32x32x60 veg tent. Then when the flower tent is ready I'll move them to my new 13g RDWC system in the 48x48x80 flower tent.

I'm still trying to figure out how the timing works with clones. I took the clones when I flipped the mother to flower. The mother will flower for 10-12 weeks. If the clones take two weeks in the cloner, that leaves 8-10 weeks for veg. Can I veg four clones for 10 weeks in a 32x32x60 tent? I guess we will see. I've been afraid of outgrowing the smaller veg tent with 10 weeks of growth in DWC. What if I can leave them an extra week in the cloner? How can I slow them down a little? Ive never thought about how to slow down growth. For right now I have them started under a weak light and weak nutes. I am almost four weeks since flip now, though, so it's time to start ramping them up. Thanks for tuning in and away we go...

What am I growing? 4 x Purple Haze clones
- 30% Indica 70% Sativa
- THC up to 20%
- High energy long lasting buzz
- Plant size: Average
- Flowers: 9 Weeks
- Taste/Smell: Berry | Blueberry | Earthy | Fruity | Spicy | Sweet
- Effects: Creative | Euphoric | Happy | Relaxed | Uplifted

Where am I growing? I have a veg tent and a flower tent in my basement
Veg Tent:
- 32x32x60
- 100w LED
- 4" Mars Hydro variable speed extraction fan, on low
- Passive intake
- 6" Oscillating fan on canopy
- 4 x 5g buckets in DWC
Flower Tent:
- 48x48x80
- 400W LED
- 6" AC Infinity exhaust fan w/ Controller69
- 4" AC Infinity booster fan for air intake (Filtered)
- Two 6" Oscillating fans on canopy + 12" floor fan + Oscillating tower fan
- 4 Site 13g RDWC system + 13g reservoir
Basement:
- Temps: 66-72f Radiant heater if needed
- Humidity: 40-55% small humidifier and large dehumidifier if needed

What am I growing in? DWC/RDWC
Medium: 8" Netpots with clay balls
Water: Carbon-filtered well water @ 100ppm/7.8pH
Nutrients: Advanced Nutrients M+G+B + Hydroguard + z7 + Purpinator
I am not sure what nutrients I will be using for this grow. Right now I have them in 250ppm (.5EC) of AN M+G+B left over from my last grow. I may stick with it for this grow since it will be somewhat familiar. However, I am open to any sponsors if they are interested? What do you think @Prescription Blend, @Remo Nutrients, or @Terpinator; anyone want to sponsor my RDWC grow?
PPM: 250
pH: 6.0-6.1 - A bit high but this is where AN likes to buffer and it works well, I will adjust down if it gets much higher

Any other equipment?
- Milwaukee bluelab combo pH & TDS meter
- LUX meter + Photone app
- Wyze V3 Cameras
- Govee thermometer/hygrometers

And of course I would LOVE a light sponsor. Right now I am using the lights that came with my tent packages. They are working out OK but I would really like 650+ watts in the flower tent. Anyone want to show what their light can do in my 4x4 RDWC grow?
@Elevated Lighting Company
@GrowStar
@MedicGrow
@Mars Hydro
@Maxsisun
@NextLight
@ParfactWorks
@Perfect Sun LED
@Sylstar
@ViparSpectra

I've been with 420mag since I started growing. It was my first grow and I had nobody to go to for answers. Joining this forum and starting a grow journal was the best decision I made when I started growing. I feel lucky to have found this family of growers. Thank you all for everything you do for this site and for each other. I'm afraid I am missing a few people but I'm also afraid I have invited too many. All are welcome! Tell a friend!

@7Dust2
@Bill284
@Buds Buddy
@Carcass
@cjsbabygirl313
@Cola Monster
@Cplchris
@CultivationArt
@DonkeyDick
@DV8
@East Coast Marley420
@EastcoastArn
@Emilya
@FelipeBlu
@garybo
@Grand Daddy Black
@HappyHazmat88
@Jon
@Jungle Joseph
@Krissi1982
@Laynexsiren
@Lisa2265
@mk2SMOKEY
@Morda Grown
@Nine Toed Hippie
@paintedbudman
@parnelli
@Paul Squiggle
@PGA Caddie
@PlanetJ
@RedskinnedRhino
@ReeLeaf
@Rewis19
@Rexer
@Smokey0418
@SmokeLake
@sneekymofo
@stinker
@StoneOtter
@Tokin Roll
@Trala
@Verbalist
@West Hippie
@Zephyrs

Cuttings / Cloning

I have a little experience in cloning. On my first grow I snapped off a branch on accident. I ended up with three clones out of that just sitting in my kitchen windowsill. My brother has one of those clones in flower and my dad has the other two.

A couple of months ago I did a test run. I put 6 of the 'tops' from topping my second grow in the cloner along with a re-vegged branch from my first grow. 5 of the 6 rooted including the reveg. My brother took 3 and I kept one of them in the cloner to see how long it would live in there. Turns out it lived about one more week, until I lost power for four days :( My brother has the other 3 in flower along with the first clone. All of them are doing great.

Equipment:
Cloner: 24 site DWC cloner with dome. Filled with 3.5g Clonex solution @ 500ppm adjusted to 5.8pH. Set on small heat mat with ambient temperatures around 68f & 35RH. Small air pump with air manifold on bottom of cloner.
Light: Spill-over lights from aerogargen 16h days
Other: Clonex cloning gel (the thick purple stuff), Clonex solution, and pH down.

1/22/22 (Day 1) When flipping my second grow to flower I removed any bud sites growing from the bottom of a branch (suckers) and lower bud sites that will not reach the canopy. When taking these off I put them directly into a bowl of water to keep any air from getting in the cut. When I was done I had 15-20 cuttings from each of the three plants.

I kept the best 8 cuttings from each plant. Then for each cutting:

- Strip the leaves on the bottom 2/3 of the cutting leaving 1-2 nodes at top
- Cut all leaves on top in 1/2
- Cut the stem again right below the lowest node at a 60 degree angle
- Dip in Clonex gel making sure to coat all cut nodes
- Insert into DWC cloner with collar
- Cloner placed next to aerogarden on heat mat

2/2/22 (Day 11) Checked the cloner and roots are popping up everywhere. Flipped the cloner so that the light would hit the other side.

2/4/22 (Day 13) Most cuttings are rooted and all are looking good. I should have potted them now but I am trying to hold off to make the timing work. I should have at least removed the dome at this point but did not.

2/11/22 (Day 20) Checked the cloner and found a few molded clones. A few also had some rot on the top. All of the roots looked good but I should have removed the dome as soon as they rooted. Removed dome.
2/13/22 (Day 22) Potted 16 clones, 12 in soil in 4" pots and 4 in DWC.

I was expecting to get about 1/2 of the clones to successfully root. Instead all of them rooted. Had I potted them earlier or taken the dome off earlier I think I would have had 100% success. As it is, I potted twelve (12) in 4" pots in soil to give away, and four (4) in the DWC buckets. Three had some mold and the others just got thrown away because they were small and I had enough clones. For my first real cloning attempt I was very happy with the results and learned a couple of lessons.

Lessons Learned

1. The dome may not be needed at all in the DWC cloner. It is DEFINITELY not needed after the clones root. And if you ever see water droplets on the leaves in the cloner take off the dome until they are dry. Do NOT leave water droplets on the leaves for an extended period of time or they will rot/mold.

2. Do not rely on the aerogarden spill-over light. It is uneven and only 16 hours. The clones looked close to flowering after 20 days and rooted very unevenly. Next time make sure they get 18-20 hours of more even (but still weak) light.

3. Clones will generally be ready in 14 days. 21 days is pushing it.

Planting in DWC

Since the new RDWC system takes 8" netpots, I modified four 6" netpot bucket lids to hold 8" netpots. I will remove the netpots from the bucket lids and put them in the RDWC system when I move to flower.

2/12 (Day -1) Prepare the DWC tent
- Hung particle board on back of tent for mounting equipment
- Mounted fans, thermometer, air pump and cords - Nothing left on floor
- Mixed 250ppm nutrient solution + hydrogard. Added pH down to 5.8.
- Added lines and airstones to the buckets
- Filled the buckets with 3g solution each (with lids)
- Rinsed clay balls in water 3-4 times to remove dust
- Soaking clay balls in 5.8pH water for 24 hours

2/13 (Day 0) - Pot the clones
- All buckets had risen to 6.4pH (this is normal for my water). Added pH down to 5.8. 260PPM.
- Remove clone from cloner and remove collar
- Drape main taproot through netpot hole in 3 (one too short)
- Fill basket with clay balls while holding clone in netpot. My son did a great job of holding the clone while I filled the hydroton around it.
- Insert netpot into DWC bucket
- Pour 1-2 cups of bucket solution over hydroton
At the end of the day we had 16 clones in a 32x32 tent, four in 5g buckets. Quite crowded. At this point I kept the light far away, around 5k LUX. I want them to acclimate to their new environment with little/no stress. Exhaust fan is on low to keep the heat and humidity in the tent.

2/14 (Day 1) Checked the clones and there is no noticable growth. One root looks like it is rotting. Two of the clones have black sprouts on top from too much moisture in the cloner. At this time I plan on popping some replacement seeds within the next week but decide to leave these alone and see what happens. I add 3ml hydroguard + 2ml z7 to the bucket with the brown root.

2/15 (Day 2) Started measuring root length. Noticed that I could see a little bit through the sides of the netpot so I covered all of the buckets with a paper plate.

2/18 (Day 5) Measured root growth on all clones! These girls are still trying. Started measuring plant height. At this point all of the roots look brown and my son remembers that this happened last time. The clay balls were still not rinsed enough and the dust is coating the roots. It does not seem to bother the plants but I rinse it off anyways. A few sprays with DI water rinses off the clay dust and the roots look great! No root rot. Still not sure if the black tops will grow or self top.

Hello from beautiful Lake Anna Virginia. I started growing in September 2021 after studying and gathering for a couple of months. For my first grow I grew four plants in DWC. For my second I am growing three plants in soil, currently finishing the third week of 12/12. My wife and son both help out with the plants. While I like a lot about growing in soil we all really missed DWC. I like mixing the nutrients and checking the pH/ppms. I guess I'm still a math nerd at heart ;) And I LOVE how quickly the plants grow in DWC. I have time lapse camera for both tents. While I understand the need for a wet/dry cycle in soil I can see that as they dry out they slow down. As soon as they are watered they spring into action. With DWC they are always ready to go.

For my third grow I will be growing four clones in DWC/RDWC. The plan is to take four clones from Jenny, a Purple Haze grown in soil. I'll veg those clones in DWC in 5g buckets in my 32x32x60 veg tent. Then when the flower tent is ready I'll move them to my new 13g RDWC system in the 48x48x80 flower tent.

I'm still trying to figure out how the timing works with clones. I took the clones when I flipped the mother to flower. The mother will flower for 10-12 weeks. If the clones take two weeks in the cloner, that leaves 8-10 weeks for veg. Can I veg four clones for 10 weeks in a 32x32x60 tent? I guess we will see. I've been afraid of outgrowing the smaller veg tent with 10 weeks of growth in DWC. What if I can leave them an extra week in the cloner? How can I slow them down a little? Ive never thought about how to slow down growth. For right now I have them started under a weak light and weak nutes. I am almost four weeks since flip now, though, so it's time to start ramping them up. Thanks for tuning in and away we go...

- 30% Indica 70% Sativa
- THC up to 20%

Veg Tent:
- 32x32x60
- 100w LED
- Passive intake
- 4 x 5g buckets in DWC
Flower Tent:
- 48x48x80
- 400W LED
Basement:

I am not sure what nutrients I will be using for this grow. Right now I have them in 250ppm (.5EC) of AN M+G+B left over from my last grow. I may stick with it for this grow since it will be somewhat familiar. However, I am open to any sponsors if they are interested? What do you think @Prescription Blend, @Remo Nutrients, or @Terpinator; anyone want to sponsor my RDWC grow?
pH: 6.0-6.1 - A bit high but this is where AN likes to buffer and it works well, I will adjust down if it gets much higher

Any other equipment?
- Wyze V3 Cameras

And of course I would LOVE a light sponsor. Right now I am using the lights that came with my tent packages. They are working out OK but I would really like 650+ watts in the flower tent. Anyone want to show what their light can do in my 4x4 RDWC grow?
@GrowStar
@MedicGrow
@Mars Hydro
@Maxsisun
@NextLight
@ParfactWorks
@Perfect Sun LED
@Sylstar
@ViparSpectra

I've been with 420mag since I started growing. It was my first grow and I had nobody to go to for answers. Joining this forum and starting a grow journal was the best decision I made when I started growing. I feel lucky to have found this family of growers. Thank you all for everything you do for this site and for each other. I'm afraid I am missing a few people but I'm also afraid I have invited too many. All are welcome! Tell a friend!

@7Dust2
@Bill284
@Buds Buddy
@Carcass
@cjsbabygirl313
@Cola Monster
@Cplchris
@CultivationArt
@DonkeyDick
@DV8
@East Coast Marley420
@EastcoastArn
@Emilya
@FelipeBlu
@garybo
@Grand Daddy Black
@HappyHazmat88
@Jon
@Jungle Joseph
@Krissi1982
@Laynexsiren
@Lisa2265
@mk2SMOKEY
@Morda Grown
@Nine Toed Hippie
@paintedbudman
@parnelli
@Paul Squiggle
@PGA Caddie
@PlanetJ
@RedskinnedRhino
@ReeLeaf
@Rewis19
@Rexer
@Smokey0418
@SmokeLake
@sneekymofo
@stinker
@StoneOtter
@Tokin Roll
@Trala
@Verbalist
@West Hippie
@Zephyrs
Just apply the K.I.S.S method of growing cannabis. It will be all gravy from there buddy! :blunt:

Fantastic write up!!! Super excited for you and this grow! We all know it's gonna be a flourishing crop of lovely ladies!

Date: 2/19/22
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Light height and reading - 100w LED @ 100% 14 Inches away - 12k LUX
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in 5g buckets (DWC)
Nutrients - Advanced Nutrients pH Perfect M+G+B, Hydroguard, z7
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
pH - 6.1
PPM - 260
Grow space - 32x32x60 grow tent
Extraction - 4" Mars Hydro variable speed fan, on low
6" Small oscillating fan
Weekly Temperatures

And that brings us to today. All of the clones are actively growing. It looks like even the two with black tops are growing. I am beginning to think that all of the clones will make it. They get another week before I start popping seeds at least. I am finishing the third week of flower with the mothers so I am hoping the tent will be ready in 8 weeks. I think I can do 8 weeks in veg. I will need to grow them a bit taller than my previous plants but I have been looking forward to that anyways.

So it is time to get busy. I moved the light to 14" (12k LUX). I will be monitoring the pH & PPM daily and adjusting as needed. Right now I am not planning on weekly bucket changes. My bucket temps stay around 67-68f and I will be topping off with Hydrogard+z7 weekly. I am hoping to get throught veg with perhaps 1 or 2 bucket changes. We will see what the plants think about that!

I have been piecing this together all day and did not expect this to take until 9:30pm to finish. I really wanted to get this posted today, though. Thank you for reading all of this if you made it this far. I hope you enjoy following along on this grow and I am always open for suggestions or comments.

Happy Growing.

Did you accidentally invite me?

Coz I don’t usually get formally invited. I usually have to sneak over the back fence.
Very happy to have you here @Trala maybe you can keep me from getting too serious :)

Just apply the K.I.S.S method of growing cannabis. It will be all gravy from there buddy! :blunt:
KISS can be as easy as you want it to be. Is it simpler to grow in LOS, soil, coco, or DWC? I love that I can measure what is happening in DWC.

Thanks for the tag @LKABudMan!:ganjamon: Best of luck with your current grow!

Dam bro you got operation there. Beer maker room . Where the frig. Lmao. Ice machine and pool table.lmao.
I need come up there with u.
I used to homebrew so I have a lot of old equipment. I use it all for growing now. Pool table? Ice machine? I have a mini ping-pong table upstairs :)

KISS can be as easy as you want it to be. Is it simpler to grow in LOS, soil, coco, or DWC? I love that I can measure what is happening in DWC.
Awesome, I Personally prefer A LOS. Because I know everything that's in my soil. Just like YOU know what chemical nutes your mixing. Each to their own! :peace:

Fantastic write up!!! Super excited for you and this grow! We all know it's gonna be a flourishing crop of lovely ladies!
Thanks for stopping in @Krissi1982 The purple haze in flower now smells so good I can't wait to get a tent full of them:yummy:

Hello from beautiful Lake Anna Virginia. I started growing in September 2021 after studying and gathering for a couple of months. For my first grow I grew four plants in DWC. For my second I am growing three plants in soil, currently finishing the third week of 12/12. My wife and son both help out with the plants. While I like a lot about growing in soil we all really missed DWC. I like mixing the nutrients and checking the pH/ppms. I guess I'm still a math nerd at heart ;) And I LOVE how quickly the plants grow in DWC. I have time lapse camera for both tents and have watched the plants in both DWC and soil. While I understand the need for a wet/dry cycle in soil I can see that as they dry out they slow down. As soon as they are watered they spring into action. With DWC they are always ready to go.

- 30% Indica 70% Sativa
- THC up to 20%

Veg Tent:
- 32x32x60
- 100w LED
- Passive intake
- 4 x 5g buckets in DWC
Flower Tent:
- 48x48x80
- 400W LED
Basement:

Any other equipment?
- Wyze V3 Cameras

@GrowStar
@MedicGrow
@Mars Hydro
@Maxsisun
@NextLight
@ParfactWorks
@Perfect Sun LED
@Sylstar
@ViparSpectra

@7Dust2
@Bill284
@Buds Buddy
@Carcass
@cjsbabygirl313
@Cola Monster
@Cplchris
@CultivationArt
@DonkeyDick
@DV8
@East Coast Marley420
@EastcoastArn
@Emilya
@FelipeBlu
@garybo
@Grand Daddy Black
@HappyHazmat88
@Jon
@Jungle Joseph
@Krissi1982
@Laynexsiren
@Lisa2265
@mk2SMOKEY
@Morda Grown
@Nine Toed Hippie
@paintedbudman
@parnelli
@Paul Squiggle
@PGA Caddie
@PlanetJ
@RedskinnedRhino
@ReeLeaf
@Rewis19
@Rexer
@Smokey0418
@SmokeLake
@sneekymofo
@stinker
@StoneOtter
@Tokin Roll
@Trala
@Verbalist
@West Hippie
@Zephyrs
I'm really not sure why I got tagged though:hmmmm:! It's Definitely not cause of my good looks and application to America's next Hottest Grower!! LoL:rofl:

- 30% Indica 70% Sativa
- THC up to 20%

Veg Tent:
- 32x32x60
- 100w LED
- Passive intake
- 4 x 5g buckets in DWC
Flower Tent:
- 48x48x80
- 400W LED
Basement:

Any other equipment?
- Wyze V3 Cameras

@GrowStar
@MedicGrow
@Mars Hydro
@Maxsisun
@NextLight
@ParfactWorks
@Perfect Sun LED
@Sylstar
@ViparSpectra

@7Dust2
@Bill284
@Buds Buddy
@Carcass
@cjsbabygirl313
@Cola Monster
@Cplchris
@CultivationArt
@DonkeyDick
@DV8
@East Coast Marley420
@EastcoastArn
@Emilya
@FelipeBlu
@garybo
@Grand Daddy Black
@HappyHazmat88
@Jon
@Jungle Joseph
@Krissi1982
@Laynexsiren
@Lisa2265
@mk2SMOKEY
@Morda Grown
@Nine Toed Hippie
@paintedbudman
@parnelli
@Paul Squiggle
@PGA Caddie
@PlanetJ
@RedskinnedRhino
@ReeLeaf
@Rewis19
@Rexer
@Smokey0418
@SmokeLake
@sneekymofo
@stinker
@StoneOtter
@Tokin Roll
@Trala
@Verbalist
@West Hippie
@Zephyrs
Thanks for the tag and you bet your frosty nugz I'ma sit in. :headbanger: great start to the journal my friend... Can't wait to see those purples.

Back
Top Bottom