LKABudMan Back In Deep Water: 4 Purple Haze Clones In RDWC

I think youve created a new catagory : Tech setup P0rn.

When wifi and apps (ie smartphones) started evolving early on this setup, your setup, is what I had in mind, at least the basic concept, a little more rudimentary of course, and HPS was still dominating the grow space.

To see someone actually engaged with it is amazing to me, even in 2022.

Bravo sir, its B E A utiful.

When wifi and apps (ie smartphones) started evolving early on this setup, your setup, is what I had in mind, at least the basic concept, a little more rudimentary of course, and HPS was still dominating the grow space.

If anything pushes me to get a smartphone, it will be the ability to control systems from afar. My last job (retired now) was at a National Park with no cell service so the phone was a paperweight and when I got home, the laptop was easier to hit the buttons with my fat fingers.

Thanks @DV8 I know there's more advanced automation out there, with Raspberry Pi and all that. This was an easy way to do it without doing any programming. Very plug and play.

If anything pushes me to get a smartphone, it will be the ability to control systems from afar. My last job (retired now) was at a National Park with no cell service so the phone was a paperweight and when I got home, the laptop was easier to hit the buttons with than my fat fingers.
Yea @gwhunran I guess I did overlook the most important part; the smartphone. It really is one of those things that once you get one it's hard to imagine life without it ;) I have a home screen on my phone dedicated to just the apps I use for growing.

Hey Budman! :ciao:

I had to catch up from way back when they were still smooshed into the flowering tent.

It has been such an enjoyable read, never really a dull moment! Outstanding documentation. The plants, the set-up, the execution and, yes (I agree @Trala), the swivel chairs: ALL GREAT!

I know it takes quite a bit of effort to keep a journal like this flowing. I commend your dedication.

Looking forward! :Rasta:

Hey back at ya @Grand Daddy Black :ciao: and thanks for the kind words. I've been having fun with the journals. It really helps me organize my thoughts around the grow. It also helps me step back and reexamine everything with fresh eyes. I've caught several of my own mistakes while posting updates to my journals ;)

Date: 4/7/22 - Day 54 veg, day 12 in RDWC, day 9 of 12/12
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 100% 16 Inches away - 50k LUX
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Nutrients - Mega Crop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in 5g buckets (DWC)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Weekly Temperatures

The temperature is almost perfect for these girls right now. Highs near 80f and lows in the mid 60f and an average VPD of 1.2. The tent exhaust fan doesn't even need to run much during the day. I have seen it ramping up at night to keep the humidity down.

The RDWC system is still keeping steady. The PPMs are creeping up a little but I'm still feeding at the 5.5g/G level with just enough pH down to counter the carbonates in my water.

I'm still trying to keep the canopy as level as possible and fill in the grid. Its mostly the middle trying to grow up. I'm going to raise the second net another 6" and start letting the tops grow through. I'ts time to see how much they're going to stretch ;) I can put another net in later if I need the support.

I couldn't imagine being able to do this without access the tent from three sides. This @VIVOSUN tent allows all three of us to work on the canopy at the same time. It's getting a little cramped on the left side with the res and the sink, but we can still work our way back there ;)

If you look really closely you can see is stigma or two in this picture. I'm not officially calling it flower yet. Maybe they're just waiting for Friday. I know I am ;)

Happy Growing.

Date: 4/9/22 - Day 56 veg, day 14 in RDWC, day 11 of 12/12
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 100% 16 Inches away - 50k LUX

I'm still loving the RDWC system. They're drinking 2+ gallons/day though and I'm getting tired of mixing nutes every couple of days. I know, I went from taking care of 4 buckets to one system and it's still too much work? Well I definitely like to keep it as easy as possible. So I'm going to start mixing nutes 15-20 gallons at a time in my old 20g brewing mash tun.

I have a couple of stones in here to keep it stirred up. It's like a 2nd 20g reservoir and allows me to fill the RDWC system directly from the kettle. It should also mean that I only need to mix nutes once/week :)

The canopy is starting to get uneven in spots. I keep telling myself that when I see flowers, I'll even everything up and clean up a little.

I'm giving it anther day or two to officially call it flower, but it sure is getting pretty in there.

Have a fantastic weekend!

Date: 4/12/22 - Day 2 of flower
Weekly Temperatures

Temperatures outside are warming up, and now that the other plants have been harvested I can let it worm up a little in the basement. Not too much, as I don't want the res getting too warm.

I've been neglectful of these girls the past several days. I've been preoccupied with harvesting and drying my second grow and haven't had much time for these girls. Fortunately the RDWC system lets me go a couple of days without any intervention. And now that I have some pre-mixed nutes it takes about 5 minutes to fill it up.

I am calling yesterday the first day of flower. I like that the first day of flower for this grow is the day following the harvest of the last grow :)

When I looked in the tent yesterday the middle was 6" higher than the rest. Marking this as the beginning of flower, I'd like for all of the buds to be at the same level. I also need to do a good defoliation to get rid of everything below the canopy. I started tying a few buds down and clipping a few branches yesterday. I'll keep tying and defoliating over the next couple of days. By the end of this week I hope to have the buds I want to take into flower at the same level, and all other buds will be gone.

can get a mixing station that will mix remote. it should just tie in.

a tech friend wanted to build and market a complete remote system. he travels a lot and is away for a wk to 10 days at a stretch. once he started looking in to it he realized everything was already out there up to and including complete turn key solutions.

he still has to be there every 3-4 days though. he says he can let it go up to a wk when in early veg.

That's gonna' be a lotta' weed, Budman! :ganjamon:
Yea @Grand Daddy Black it sure is. Of course I just harvested another lb+ from my second grow so I'm set for a year or more. My friends/family are going to be extra happy to see me coming around ;) Time to start spreading the wealth!
can get a mixing station that will mix remote. it should just tie in.

a tech friend wanted to build and market a complete remote system. he travels a lot and is away for a wk to 10 days at a stretch. once he started looking in to it he realized everything was already out there up to and including complete turn key solutions.

he still has to be there every 3-4 days though. he says he can let it go up to a wk when in early veg.
Yes, I can see automating this system in the way you describe @bluter And I can see where that would be real helpful for someone that's away a lot. I work from home, though, so I'm really just being lazy. Heck, I have it where I only need to mix nutes once a week and can add them to the res by flipping a switch. Any more automation and it will be my system growing, not me :)

Back
Top Bottom