LKABudMan Back In Deep Water: 4 Purple Haze Clones In RDWC

Wow, Budman! You've left me speechless over here. Those plants are just...just...

See what I mean? Speechless! :)
Thanks a lot @Grand Daddy Black
I had fallen several pages behind (as usual) and spent this morning catching up and gaping at the pics!

I was crushed when you found the mites. Those things can be such a PITA! I consider myself an authority on them because I've battled them so often.

At one point I grew so frustrated with them that I took a plant outside, laid it on it's side and blasted the undersides of the leaves with my water hose. Don't do that! I know that I probably knocked off a bunch of bugs and eggs, but the plant was never able to recover it's structure from the beating it took. :laughtwo:
I bet she looked a mess after that. My brother got spider mites 6 weeks into flower, freaked out, and spread diatomaceous earth all over everything. He ended up having to take them outside and hose them off afterward. Then he used a little dust-buster to vacuum the buds daily until harvest.
I have so many mite-killing, homemade sprays and store-bought products that I had to find a shelf in my storage area for them only!

I have not been bothered lately thanks to early and often use of SNS 209 in the drench feeds. That stuff really works!

The 217 C is also some good stuff.
I was really lucky to have the SNS on hand, and it's done a great job. I've already started my other plants on the SNS 209, and I'm trying to find out if it can be used in hydro going forward.
And the ladybugs are great bugs. I'd love to see a video of you herding them at the end for "relocation." :rofl:

I had some once but they ghosted on me. I later learned that I should have put a small saucer in the tent containing a moist sponge and some raisins to encourage them to stay and make themselves at home.
I should have thought of ladybugs sooner. I like releasing a dozen or two every night, that way I know they won't all be gone in two days. And at least so far, they are still going strong the next morning.
Awesome! That's the word I was looking for earlier.

BTW, if I had that combination of amber and cloudy you've got going, I would not hesitate to take those down any day I felt like doing it!

Great work, brother! :bravo:
I was just getting used to reading the pistils to tell when they're ready, then I get this grow. The pistils have been orange and crinkled in for a while now. I've had some foxtailing, but even most of that is finished now. I was surprised to see that many amber trics when I took the pictures. However, I'm still looking for the other signs she is done (smell and water reduction) and I'm not there yet. Of course, I also don't want to over cook them and end up with couch lock.

Anyone else want to venture an opinion? @Bill284, what do you think?

Thanks @Timhomegrow This is only my third harvest so I'm not sure how much amber I 'prefer'. I'm definitely hoping for more cloudy and less amber. However, here are several signs I look for before considering the trics:
  • They should start drinking and eating less. As long as they're still drinking and eating they're still putting on weight.
  • The smell should ramp up to 11. They're smelling stronger in the last week, but when they're ready I can smell them as soon as I go in the house. Last harvest, I could smell them walking up the front sidewalk ;)
  • The calyx should swell up and all white hairs should turn orange and crinkle in, almost like the calyx is trying to swallow the hairs. This is a bit more difficult to determine on this grow with most hairs already orange except for the foxtailing. The calyx, though, are not yet swollen.
  • As they swell up, the buds usually start sagging with the weight. I look for this sag as another sign they're putting on the weight I am looking for.
I like to look at the trics and consider them, but there are others reason trics can turn amber and it doesn't necessarily mean they're ready. I'm really waiting for the signs above to tell me I'm in the harvest window. Then, I can consider the trics. Finally, when I think they're ready I'll ask @Bill284 to take a look and he'll usually tell me to wait a week or two ;) He's always right too. Maybe this time I can wait until they're ready for a change :)
Thanks for this.

I really struggle to get the window right.

And your glitter shots are on fleek ✔️ ✔️ ✔️

I was just getting used to reading the pistils to tell when they're ready, then I get this grow. The pistils have been orange and crinkled in for a while now. I've had some foxtailing, but even most of that is finished now. I was surprised to see that many amber trics when I took the pictures. However, I'm still looking for the other signs she is done (smell and water reduction) and I'm not there yet. Of course, I also don't want to over cook them and end up with couch lock.
Those are good cues to use Budman. :Rasta:

Thanks for this.

I really struggle to get the window right.

And your glitter shots are on fleek ✔️ ✔️ ✔️
Thanks @Trala knowing when to harvest has always been my weak spot too. Always trying to go too soon because I read the trics wrong. Now I wait for some other signs before even thinking about harvesting.

F*ckin beautiful....sorry not sorry for the language ...call it as I see it.... Your doing great bud man.
Thanks @HappyHazmat88 this RDWC system is so hands off that week 9 kind of crept up on me. Now I'm ready to harvest these ladies, deep clean the tent, and on to the next grow!

Thanks a lot @Grand Daddy Black

I bet she looked a mess after that. My brother got spider mites 6 weeks into flower, freaked out, and spread diatomaceous earth all over everything. He ended up having to take them outside and hose them off afterward. Then he used a little dust-buster to vacuum the buds daily until harvest.

I was really lucky to have the SNS on hand, and it's done a great job. I've already started my other plants on the SNS 209, and I'm trying to find out if it can be used in hydro going forward.

I should have thought of ladybugs sooner. I like releasing a dozen or two every night, that way I know they won't all be gone in two days. And at least so far, they are still going strong the next morning.

Anyone else want to venture an opinion? @Bill284, what do you think?
From what I read about trics is if you don’t want couch lock, you’d want trics to be all cloudy. I haven’t done much research in the non couch though as I favor the couch. Those northern lights I had, that are now sold out on seeds… is pretty couchy but that was my intent.

When are you going to start up again pretty soon? I’m thinking late September personally.

From what I read about trics is if you don’t want couch lock, you’d want trics to be all cloudy. I haven’t done much research in the non couch though as I favor the couch. Those northern lights I had, that are now sold out on seeds… is pretty couchy but that was my intent.

When are you going to start up again pretty soon? I’m thinking late September personally.
I've read that too, but I take that as a guide. I've found colored trics on a plant that is 6 weeks if I'm looking at the sugar leaves. I know a lot of people say that the more light exposure you have the more amber trics you'll have, especially outdoors. I'm really waiting for the smell to kick up a notch, but we'll see what happens in the next week or two.

As for starting up again, I've already started the journal for my next grow (its in my sig too). I'll be taking clones from the mother this weekend to put into this system when these ladies are done. That means I'll probably be harvesting in the next two weeks one way or another ;)

I agree LKA, harvesting seems to be my weak point. I think they are ready, do the chop, and after drying and curing I realize I should have waited longer ha. Love you description on other factors to consider when harvesting. Good stuff!

Yeah I was definitely uneasy chopping my first time (a week or 2 ago.) so my failsafe was to clip just a few buds, dry them a week and recheck the trics. I chopped some
More based on that but let my lower buds that got less light another week. Most experienced people I gather won’t have a second row of buds below the canopy of course, and come winter I shouldn’t either. My 2x4 scrog net had finally arrived after a month from China mainland. We can only hope to better next time though right? That’s how I’m going to look at it lol.
Oh and sorry Bud man I think I already asked you that question lol. I’m trying to figure out my plans so I’m asking everyone I follow their plans for ideas

Not a problem @Venturisix I'm the same way, always trying to figure out how to make the next grow better than this one! I've considered a staggered harvest, but I always have another grow waiting for the tent. I've started trimming the lowers better when flipping to flower because I know they won't get enough light, and they'll be a PITA to trim.

Thanks @Timhomegrow This is only my third harvest so I'm not sure how much amber I 'prefer'. I'm definitely hoping for more cloudy and less amber. However, here are several signs I look for before considering the trics:
  • They should start drinking and eating less. As long as they're still drinking and eating they're still putting on weight.
  • The smell should ramp up to 11. They're smelling stronger in the last week, but when they're ready I can smell them as soon as I go in the house. Last harvest, I could smell them walking up the front sidewalk ;)
  • The calyx should swell up and all white hairs should turn orange and crinkle in, almost like the calyx is trying to swallow the hairs. This is a bit more difficult to determine on this grow with most hairs already orange except for the foxtailing. The calyx, though, are not yet swollen.
  • As they swell up, the buds usually start sagging with the weight. I look for this sag as another sign they're putting on the weight I am looking for.
I like to look at the trics and consider them, but there are others reason trics can turn amber and it doesn't necessarily mean they're ready. I'm really waiting for the signs above to tell me I'm in the harvest window. Then, I can consider the trics. Finally, when I think they're ready I'll ask @Bill284 to take a look and he'll usually tell me to wait a week or two ;) He's always right too. Maybe this time I can wait until they're ready for a change :)
That might be my favourite summary Ive read yet.

Thanks @Trala knowing when to harvest has always been my weak spot too. Always trying to go too soon because I read the trics wrong. Now I wait for some other signs before even thinking about harvesting.
What are these other signs you speak of?!

Or are they the signs you listed?

I need all the help I can get!

Hey a favour, can you (if you have time) add pictures explaining that time to harvest logic.

I looked at my auto based on what you wrote and thought “fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I need to harvest asap”, coz it literally has more red hairs than Prince Harry’s jockstrap. But when I posted glitter pics of her my glitter spotter team said not yet.

What are these other signs you speak of?!

Or are they the signs you listed?

I need all the help I can get!
I was talking about the same signs.
Hey a favour, can you (if you have time) add pictures explaining that time to harvest logic.

I looked at my auto based on what you wrote and thought “fuuuuuuuuuuuuck I need to harvest asap”, coz it literally has more red hairs than Prince Harry’s jockstrap. But when I posted glitter pics of her my glitter spotter team said not yet.
I think you're asking about this: "The calyx should swell up and all white hairs should turn orange and crinkle in, almost like the calyx is trying to swallow the hairs". Just keep in mind that this is only my third grow, so I'm still learning as I go.

Take a look at the two pictures below taken from Abby on my last grow. These pictures are 10 days apart. In the second picture, see how much more bumpy the bud looks. The calyx have swollen noticeably, almost as if they were full of seeds.

When the calyx swell they open a little and it looks like it's trying to swallow the hair.

@Trala I'd love to see what your buds look like right now. You posted the tric pics but without pictures of the buds it's hard to put them in context. Hope this helps.

Date: 6/13/22 - Day 64 of flower (W10D1)
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 100% 15 Inches away - 60k LUX
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan (on ceiling)
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Mega Crop, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator, Big Bud, Bud Candy
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.1pH)
Pests - Spider Mites (Sprayed with SNS 217-C + Lady Bugs)
Weekly Temperatures

It's a good thing I'm writing this post, because that's the only reason I checked the Govee today. And, as it turns out, the dehumidifier decided to shut off last night. It does this sometimes, usually when I'm not looking. I reset the dehumidifier and it's working again. I'm not sure why my Govee didn't send me an alert until I checked it today, even though it's been out of range since last night. Must be new software upgrades :(

Life got really busy for a few days there and I haven't done anything with this grow except to occasionally add water & ladybugs. The really good news is that I don't see any more signs of mites. I've been checking them daily when I add the ladybugs, and I don't see any further leaf damage nor have I found any webs. It looks like the SNS 217-C and the ladybugs really did the job on them.

Even with just adding water the PPMs in the res still aren't coming down. The pH is, though. I guess that means they're still eating something, right? Either way, tonight I'm going to drain 1/2 the system and refill with plain water. That will drop the PPMs in half, and it will definitely bring up the pH. I may need to add a little pH down after. I'll see how the res reacts and I'll go from there.

While I'm down there tonight I'll get some trichome pictures, but I think they're just about done. Looking at my signs:

They should start drinking and eating less - I added a column to my feeding tracker to track gallons per day (GPD). They're drinking less in the past week, and the PPMs keep rising so they're eating less as well.
The smell should ramp up to 11 - They still don't smell as strong as previous grows, but the smell has increased quite a bit. It's also changed a bit to a more skunky aroma, another sign of finishing up.
The calyx should swell up and all white hairs should turn orange and crinkle in, almost like the calyx is trying to swallow the hairs - This is a bit more difficult to determine on this grow with most hairs already orange except for the foxtailing. Aside from a few foxtails, though, all the hairs are crinkled. Even some of the foxtails have now turned and crinkled.
As they swell up, the buds usually start sagging with the weight - With the second net, I'm not really going to get any sag. I can feel the weight on the buds when I wiggle them, though.

Starting the 10th week, I'd really like to see the whole tent as purple as the front-right plant, Jolt. She's the plant I had to remove 1/2 of so that may be why she finished sooner. I plan on washing the buds, so it's much easier to harvest them all at once. If Jolt ends up getting more amber that'll be a good way for me to test the affects of late harvest / more amber. I'm still not really in a hurry to harvest them, so I'll see what the tric pics have to say ;) I think I may be chopping next weekend, though.

Date: 6/14/22 - Day 65 of flower (W10D2)
Strain - Purple Haze photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 100% 18 Inches away - 45k LUX
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan (on ceiling)
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Mega Crop, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator, Big Bud, Bud Candy
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.1pH)
Pests - Spider Mites (Sprayed with SNS 217-C + Lady Bugs)

The dehumidifier stopped working again last night:rolleyes:. I did find the drain plug was loose so that may have been the issue. Either way, I'll go down and empty it tonight manually just to make sure it stays on.

Last night I drained 15g from the res and put in 15g of well water. Then I filled it with an additional 4g of well water + 1ml pH down. That bought it from 1200/5.6 to 720/6.0. As a bonus, with my 600ft deep well the new res came down to 66f. When I checked this morning it was 750/6.1/69f so I added another ml of pH down to bring it to 6.0.
[feed]

I also found a leaf with some additional mite damage last night and scoped it, and sure enough one of the little bastards was moving around on there. So I released my ladybug army on them. I still have a couple hundred of them, so I let about 100 go last night. They're taking their job seriously ;)

I also got some good tric pictures last night. I took a mix from top and bottom buds from all of the plants. Some look riper than others, but they all look like they're in the window.

Then when I went down this morning it looks like the purple spread a bit last night. I think the harvest window is here.

So my plan now is to harvest this Saturday 6/18 on Day# 69 of flower. That means I really should've drained the entire res last night:oops: Tonight I'll drain the res and fill it with plain pHed water. Then on Thursday I'll turn off the lights for good. 36 hours later it's chop time:yahoo:

6/14 (Tue) - Final flush for 48 hours
6/16 (Thu) - Lights out for good (36 hours before chop)
6/17 (Fri) - Prepare bud washing station and drying closet
6/18 (Sat) - Harvest Day!
6/19-6/28 - Drying time (up to 10 days)

@Bill284 I haven't harvested yet without your OK and really value your opinion... What do you think? Do you see anything telling me to wait?

The next post will probably be from the harvest this weekend. Have a great week everyone!

Back
Top Bottom