LKABudMan Back In Deep Water: 4 Purple Haze Clones In RDWC

I had 2 hermed from 420 and GOG I gave the rest of those seeds away. Thank you, I'll give NASC a shot.
When I first started growing, I was told that 420 was 'bad genetics'. Then I finished my first grow with over a pound of nice frosty dense nugs and was confused; how can these be bad genetics??? Then my second grow hermed on me for no reason.
Here's what I've come to understand; there are breeders, and there are 'pollen chuckers'. Breeders take good genetic stock and carefully cross that with other good genetics to make healthy viable seeds. Pollen chuckers throw a bunch of males in with a bunch of females and take whatever seeds they get. It doesn't matter if some of the plants are weak or hermed, all seeds are collected.
So, you can get a fantastic plant from a pollen chucker. But the next seed could herm. Or just be a weak plant. Good genetics don't guarentee a good plant, but you should have a much better chance. I'm not wasting my time with bad genetics any longer.

When I first started growing, I was told that 420 was 'bad genetics'. Then I finished my first grow with over a pound of nice frosty dense nugs and was confused; how can these be bad genetics??? Then my second grow hermed on me for no reason.
Here's what I've come to understand; there are breeders, and there are 'pollen chuckers'. Breeders take good genetic stock and carefully cross that with other good genetics to make healthy viable seeds. Pollen chuckers throw a bunch of males in with a bunch of females and take whatever seeds they get. It doesn't matter if some of the plants are weak or hermed, all seeds are collected.
So, you can get a fantastic plant from a pollen chucker. But the next seed could herm. Or just be a weak plant. Good genetics don't guarentee a good plant, but you should have a much better chance. I'm not wasting my time with bad genetics any longer.
I heard the same thing.... it's like prohibition...be careful what you buy you could pay for it.
My first package came from 420 the GSC and Bruce Banner was good but it went into the hermie for nothing too, then I got 1 good seed so far from Garden of Green and then it hit the hemrie trail.

Hey thanks @No Pain I LOVE Grove bags. I've been using them since my first harvest and wouldn't think of curing any other way. I still have my last harvest in a Grove bag with a Govee, it's been reading 63-64% for the last two months. The buds smell INCREDIBLE too, very pungent. The only down side is that the buds are too moist and sticky for the grinder ;) Thanks for posting this, though, as I forgot that I need a few more :) I just ordered 4 more of the pound size bags, as I like to fill them 1/2 full for curing.

I love me some gadgets and was looking at the wood moisture meters (WMM) this morning. What type of WMM do you have, pins or without pins? Do you measure the stalks or the actual buds with it? I just wait until the stems break, not snap. Then I'll buck the buds and put them in Grove bags with a hygrometer. If they are too moist, I'll take them out for a few hours and then try again. So far I've been pretty good at judging them, and they usually hit the bags at right around 60-65% RH.
Glad to hear that you already use Grove bags . As far as a meter is use one with pins and stick the pins right into those sticky nuggets , not all of them but enough on each branch to have me satisfied and usually the ones on the tip of the branch as they are bigger and would have the most moisture left in them ...the one i purchased has a lot of settings for different types of wood etc ...if I where to go back and repurchase it would be a MODEL LIKE THIS

General Tools MM1E Moisture Meter, Pin Type, LED Bar Graph
1664478526618.png

as its very simple and looks just like THIS ONE only at about a 3rd of the cost and I would imagine that its accuracy is the same and the fancier version is just a rebranding .

When you say you have a Govee in the bag ... do you mean a humidipak ? if the answer is yes you don't need them and i would recommend that you take it out as in my experience with humidapaks in jars is they do work but the do take away from the overall product after a period of time .... The only thing I have in my Grove bags are the buds .

Glad to hear that you already use Grove bags . As far as a meter is use one with pins and stick the pins right into those sticky nuggets , not all of them but enough on each branch to have me satisfied and usually the ones on the tip of the branch as they are bigger and would have the most moisture left in them ...the one i purchased has a lot of settings for different types of wood etc ...if I where to go back and repurchase it would be a MODEL LIKE THIS as its very simple and looks just like THIS ONE only at about a 3rd of the cost and I would imagine that its accuracy is the same and the fancier version is just a rebranding .

When you say you have a Govee in the bag ... do you mean a humidipak ? if the answer is yes you don't need them and i would recommend that you take it out as in my experience with humidapaks in jars is they do work but the do take away from the overall product after a period of time .... The only thing I have in my Grove bags are the buds .
Thanks for the info @No Pain A Govee is a bluetooth hygrometer, I use it to measure the RH in the Grove bags.

Looking good LKA, phenomenal harvest. I'm trying to catch back up with everyone's journal, but you boys are growing too damn fast! Hahaha

WOW! Congratulations Budman! Sweet Harvest! What a roller coaster read today with the mite fight and all! Great work!

So earlier you asked about amber trichs when bumped. Yes they do go amber if nudged. I read them in different places to be sure I didn't create a false reading.
Thanks @StoneOtter I was lucky I had the SNS 217-C when I got the mites, it really stopped them in their tracks. Great stuff.

I figured all of the orange pistils and amber trics was from too much touching when I put them in the second net. Probably caused the foxtails too. I'll be more careful with the next grow. Thanks for stopping by and stay medicated :passitleft:

Looking good LKA, phenomenal harvest. I'm trying to catch back up with everyone's journal, but you boys are growing too damn fast! Hahaha
Good morning @RedskinnedRhino and thanks a lot. I finally started getting roots on my clones so I'll probably be filling the RDWC up again this weekend and start up the next run :)

Hey thanks @No Pain I LOVE Grove bags. I've been using them since my first harvest and wouldn't think of curing any other way. I still have my last harvest in a Grove bag with a Govee, it's been reading 63-64% for the last two months. The buds smell INCREDIBLE too, very pungent. The only down side is that the buds are too moist and sticky for the grinder ;) Thanks for posting this, though, as I forgot that I need a few more :) I just ordered 4 more of the pound size bags, as I like to fill them 1/2 full for curing.

I love me some gadgets and was looking at the wood moisture meters (WMM) this morning. What type of WMM do you have, pins or without pins? Do you measure the stalks or the actual buds with it? I just wait until the stems break, not snap. Then I'll buck the buds and put them in Grove bags with a hygrometer. If they are too moist, I'll take them out for a few hours and then try again. So far I've been pretty good at judging them, and they usually hit the bags at right around 60-65% RH.
I literally just ordered 2 of the Grove bags two days ago. So it's just like normal curing? Dry them, put in bag with hydrometer when 64-66rh with no burping?

How long have you stored in Grove bags? I have some 1 year old harvest in Mason jars still.

Hey Budman, Grats on the harvest. I like those grove bags too, they did well for my last harvest. On this one I am doing a slight variation but they will end up in the grove bags to finish.

I literally just ordered 2 of the Grove bags two days ago. So it's just like normal curing? Dry them, put in bag with hydrometer when 64-66rh with no burping?

How long have you stored in Grove bags? I have some 1 year old harvest in Mason jars still.
yes they work well, but its very important to make sure the buds have sweat out the inner moisture. The website recommends using a paper leaf bag to sweat the buds for a few days, I use turkey bags to do the same thing. Once they sit in the bags for a few days and the moisture in the buds is even dispersed then throw them in the bag and make sure you heat seal the end of it, or air leaks out slowly and humidity will escape

Congratulations @LKABudMan On another stellar harvest!:adore:

One of these days I will have to stock up on grove bags. Getting tired of the Mason jars :laugh:
Thanks @Rexer and trust me, you'll never look back. My first order I got a few different sizes to see what I liked best. I like the smaller bags for daily stash, but you can't beat the 1lb bags for curing. I just got 4 more of them, along with a couple more 1/2lb bags.

As long as the bud is the correct moisture after the dry, I just stick them in the grove bag. I only 1/2 fill the bags when curing so they aren't bunched up in there, but you can consolidate the bags after 30-45 days. I've kept a Govee hygrometer in at least one of the bags for each of the grows, and the RH in the bags is remarkably stable 60-64%.

My first harvest was in January of this year, and went right into Grove bags after drying. The bud is still moist and is still curing wonderfully. That's one of the reasons I have a hard time comparing my home-grown with bud I've had in the past (there are many). The bud I used to get was usually pretty dry. Sometimes crumbly dry. Now I have a hard time grinding my home-grown it's so moist and sticky. Night and day.

I'm interested in how the bud will age in the Grove bags as time goes by, but I'm not sure this first harvest will make it to a year. So it may take a while ;)

Hey Budman, Grats on the harvest. I like those grove bags too, they did well for my last harvest. On this one I am doing a slight variation but they will end up in the grove bags to finish.
Thanks @Costanza I'd love to hear your variation.
yes they work well, but its very important to make sure the buds have sweat out the inner moisture. The website recommends using a paper leaf bag to sweat the buds for a few days, I use turkey bags to do the same thing. Once they sit in the bags for a few days and the moisture in the buds is even dispersed then throw them in the bag and make sure you heat seal the end of it, or air leaks out slowly and humidity will escape
Last time I dried at 60/60 for 10 days and went right into the grove bags. The RH never got above 64%. If it did, I'd remove the buds from the bag, put in paper bags for 1/2 day, and try again. Repeat as needed.

So far, I've not sealed the bags. I understand the moisture will last longer if it is sealed, but I want to re-use the bags. I also keep a baggie of fresh stems in the freezer in case I need to re-moisturize.

I do agree that you need to make sure the moisture level in the buds is appropriate for the bags. They do a great job of keeping the RH at 58-62, but if you put buds at 70% or higher RH in a Grove bag they're probably going to mold.
I agree, my homegrown is so much better than what I used to get. I'm convinced it's more because of the dry/cure/storage than anything else.
One of the many reasons. I think of all of the bugs, mold, mildew, pesticides, insecticides, and other things I've almost definitely smoked in the past and shudder. There's no going back...

Thanks @Costanza I'd love to hear your variation.

Last time I dried at 60/60 for 10 days and went right into the grove bags. The RH never got above 64%. If it did, I'd remove the buds from the bag, put in paper bags for 1/2 day, and try again. Repeat as needed.

So far, I've not sealed the bags. I understand the moisture will last longer if it is sealed, but I want to re-use the bags. I also keep a baggie of fresh stems in the freezer in case I need to re-moisturize.

I do agree that you need to make sure the moisture level in the buds is appropriate for the bags. They do a great job of keeping the RH at 58-62, but if you put buds at 70% or higher RH in a Grove bag they're probably going to mold.

One of the many reasons. I think of all of the bugs, mold, mildew, pesticides, insecticides, and other things I've almost definitely smoked in the past and shudder. There's no going back...
It's not a huge difference the way that I plan on doing the next one. After sweating for a few days I'm gonna keep them in the bins lined with Turkey bags for a couple more weeks before throwing in the grove bags

@Costanza do you hang dry? Or do you go straight to paper bags, to turkey bags, then to Grove bags? By the time I've hang dried at 60/60 for 7-10 days, why not go straight into the Grove bags(as long as the RH stays under 65%)? What am I missing?

@Costanza do you hang dry? Or do you go straight to paper bags, to turkey bags, then to Grove bags? By the time I've hang dried at 60/60 for 7-10 days, why not go straight into the Grove bags(as long as the RH stays under 65%)? What am I missing?
I hang the whole plant for 10 or until the stems start to snap then put into the turkey bags in bins. By putting them in the bins with buds attached to stems it will help redistribute the moisture of the buds and give it a better cure when it goes into the grove bags. If you go on the grovebag website they have their own method

Back
Top Bottom