About Skunk Special from Herbie's Seeds (from Female Seeds - Netherlands)

I couldn't find much about this strain, and I couldn't get a decent picture. here's what I have:

Skunk special, a 50/50 mix of Sativa and Indica, is a Cannabis strain that was initially a product of 3 races: Colombian, Mexican and Afghan. Much work has been done over the years to improve the quality of this strain in terms of its flowering time while retaining its iconic Skunk qualities.

The smell is described as very strong so carbon filters will be required.

Skunk special boasts of a sweet, fruit-like taste that makes every single consumption an enjoyable experience. The taste has the original pungent sweet and citrus flavour and the effects include a head-high that creeps in instantly, accompanied by a feeling of body-stone that comes in a little later.

Characteristics
Brand
: Female Seeds
Sex: Feminized
Flowering type: Photoperiod
Effect: Multidimensional journey
Genetics: Mexican, Colombian Sativa x Skunk
Height: 70 - 90 cm indoors
Yield: 400 - 450 g/m² indoors
Flowering: indoors 49 - 56 days
Genotype: 50% Sativa / 50% Indica
THC: 10 - 15 %
CBD: 1 %

I started 5 seeds on Sunday, 10/16/22 at 4:20pm. I use EZ-Gro plugs (like rapid rooters but not pre-moistened). I soak the plugs for about an hour in water pH'ed to around 6. Then I stick the seeds about 1/2 inch into the cube and tear off a corner to cover the hole. I put the plugs in a humidity dome with a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray, but not enough so that the plug is sitting in water. Sitting on a heat mat in the dome with the vents closed, the humidity stays in the 90s. I set them all next to the aerogarden to get 16hrs of light/day.

I've always gotten a sprout in 3-4 days with this method. If I put the seed in the hole with the pointed-end facing up and at least 1/2" down, I don't need to worry about helmet heads either. I'm pretty confident in this method, as I've have had 100% success with both cannabis and tomato seeds for the past year.

I needed 4 sprouts for the DWC, so I planted all 5 seeds. When nothing was up by the third day I started getting nervous. On the fourth day (10/20), one seed sprouted and another began to sprout.

On the fifth day (10/21), two sprouts were up and a third seed sprouted. I put those three in another dish without the dome and closer to the light. I kept the last two seeds under the dome on the heat mat.

Nothing on the sixth day (10/22), and I considered starting another seed. Finally, on the seventh day (10/23) I got the fourth sprout. She doesn't look great and she still hasn't unfurled her cotyledons all the way. I think she'll make it, though.

The fifth seed might be a dud, but I'll leave it in the dome for a little longer to be sure. Right now the four sprouts are still in their plugs next to the aerogarden, getting around 10k LUX. I have a small piece of wax paper covering the hole in the bottom of the tray so that the taproot can't grow down into the tray beneath it. I'm giving them a few drops of water daily to keep the plug moistened. Tonight they'll go into the RDWC system.

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

I spent a couple of hours yesterday preparing the Bud Factory, the 4x4 Vivosun tent that I use as my main growing tent. I lowered the @VIVOSUN VSF6450 to where 40% power should give about 18k LUX for the little ones. I re-wired a few things and set everything back up for veg. I also added the Vivosun AeroWave fan to the tent.

The Bud Factory has a PA Hydroponics 4 plant RDWC with 13g buckets, and a fifth 13g bucket for a reservoir. It holds about 45 gallons with the water 2" under the netpots. With an inline 400 GPH pump, each plant site gets about 100g of nutrient solution per hour, keeping everything mixed. In addition to the Dissolved Oxygen (DO) from the 'falloponics', each plant site also has an air stone for increased DO.

Yesterday I filled her up with around 40 gallons of water. Since my well water is about 100ppm/8.1pH, I added 10ml of pH down. I also added some silica and hydroguard. I let that circulate for a day and I'll add the rest tonight.

Cheers for the invite BudMan,hope you and the family are well.Hopefuly i can keep up with your journal,always end up pages behind haha.Thanks

I spent a couple of hours yesterday preparing the Bud Factory, the 4x4 Vivosun tent that I use as my main growing tent. I lowered the @VIVOSUN VSF6450 to where 40% power should give about 18k LUX for the little ones. I re-wired a few things and set everything back up for veg. I also added the Vivosun AeroWave fan to the tent.

The Bud Factory has a PA Hydroponics 4 plant RDWC with 13g buckets, and a fifth 13g bucket for a reservoir. It holds about 45 gallons with the water 2" under the netpots. With an inline 400 GPH pump, each plant site gets about 100g of nutrient solution per hour, keeping everything mixed. In addition to the Dissolved Oxygen (DO) from the 'falloponics', each plant site also has an air stone for increased DO.

Yesterday I filled her up with around 40 gallons of water. Since my well water is about 100ppm/8.1pH, I added 10ml of pH down. I also added some silica and hydroguard. I let that circulate for a day and I'll add the rest tonight.

Awesome!!!!!!!! as this detailing,,,going to be a great grow to follow,,,and yeah just popped my next hopeful and she sprouted yesterday,,,,,so going to be real careful now??? lol so just a quick 1,,,, as I messed it all up last time,,,when would introduce some great white,,,,as I used it last time direct at on tap root and sprinkled on rockwool,,,,not done that this time,,,,and alls well so far,,,,,,so would you mix with your water,,,,and add on watering (40-50ml) as not done anything yet just been water,,,,any advise would be great,,,as looking forward to following along

They are already soaking up the rays and I'm just getting here. :surf:
Thanks for the Tag my friend. :thanks:
Sweet setup as usual.
You going to share some of that Sweet @VIVOSUN sponsorship or do you have them locked up?
Got the insulation for the grow room yesterday. :yahoo:
Love to fill it with VIVOSUN
I'll enjoy watching you put it through its paces in the meantime.
Have a great day. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Awesome!!!!!!!! as this detailing,,,going to be a great grow to follow,,,and yeah just popped my next hopeful and she sprouted yesterday,,,,,so going to be real careful now??? lol so just a quick 1,,,, as I messed it all up last time,,,when would introduce some great white,,,,as I used it last time direct at on tap root and sprinkled on rockwool,,,,not done that this time,,,,and alls well so far,,,,,,so would you mix with your water,,,,and add on watering (40-50ml) as not done anything yet just been water,,,,any advise would be great,,,as looking forward to following along
Sorry, I have not used great white. I've always used Dynomyco, and I sprinkle it on my plugs when I put them in RDWC. I would think any good mycorrhizae should be in contact with the roots as much as possible.
Great setup and amazing patience on the 4th and still 5th seed! I definitely would have dug them up by now. :nervous-guy:

Congrats on getting at least one for each tub!
Thanks Shed. I only had 5 of these seeds, so if I didn't get four sprouts I'd have had to pop something else. A week later. Ugh. I just hope they all make it now ;)
They are already soaking up the rays and I'm just getting here. :surf:
Thanks for the Tag my friend. :thanks:
Sweet setup as usual.
You going to share some of that Sweet @VIVOSUN sponsorship or do you have them locked up?
Got the insulation for the grow room yesterday. :yahoo:
Love to fill it with VIVOSUN
I'll enjoy watching you put it through its paces in the meantime.
Have a great day. :ciao:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:
That's fantastic to hear you're getting your grow room put together. I'd love to see it stocked with @VIVOSUN gear! Congrats on the harvest, I hope you are enjoying the fruits of your labor :roorrip:

Last night I put the seedlings in the RDWC system. I'm using the same Hydroton from last grow. It's been washed, soaked in peroxide, then soaked in pHed water for the last 24 hours.

First I put a base layer of hydroton in the netpot. Then I spray the plug to make sure the outside is wet and coat the plug with Dynomyco dust. Then I place it in the netpot as close to the middle as possible and fill in around the outside to hold it in place. For the leggy seedlings I carefully stacked some hydroton around the lower stem as well. Finally, after completely filling the netpot with hydroton, I put on the 'light covers'. Sure, they're just paper plates with holes in the middle, but they keep light from getting through the edges of the netpot.

NOTE: Since the seeds popped several days apart, I needed to keep them in the tray longer than I usually do. I didn't want the taproot to grow down into the bottom, so I blocked the little hole in the bottom with a piece of wax paper. Usually when I take the plugs out of the tray there's one long taproot and that's it. Well, this time there was no long taproot, but there was a LOT of lateral rooting. I really like the looks of the roots on these plugs, and will probably block the hole in the bottom of the tray from now on.

I haven't done seedlings in DWC since my first grow, and I've never done seedlings on this system. I can't believe how tiny they look. Can something that small even make it?

Date: 10/25/22 Day#2
Strain: Skunk Special fem photo seeds x 4
Grow Space: The Bud Factory - Sponsored by VIVOSUN
- Vivosun 48x48x80 tent
- Vivosun VSF6450 Foldable LED Grow Light[LKABudMan Gets Skunky under the VSF6450 - Sponsored by VIVOSUN] @ 40%
- Vivosun AeroWave A6 Clip-on osciallting 6" fan
- 6" exhaust fan w/ controller
- 4" booster fan for air intake (Filtered)
- 12" floor fan + Oscillating tower fan
- 4 Site 13g RDWC system + 13g reservoir
- Vivosun 332 GPH Air Pump (14W 21L/min)
- Vivosun 2x4 Air Stones (x4)
- Small humidifier set to 70%
Nutrients - Stout MSA, Megacrop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Temperatures

I made two mistakes when I put them in the tent last night. I forgot to put the humidifier in the tent so the humidity was reading 40% this morning, with a VPD > 2 :oops: I also plugged the light into the socket instead of the timer, so the light was on all night 🤷‍♂️ Everything is fixed and they're set for a 20/4 light schedule starting tonight. The humidifier is set to 70% and the VPD looks much better now.

I'm taking my time getting the res where it needs to be. It's mostly pH down and bennies right now, with about 1g/G MC. I'm good with the nutrients at 280ppm. I'll keep adding a little pH down every day until I get it down from 6.3 to 5.8. No use trying to do it all at once and over-shooting.

On 20hr days with no canopy covering it, the res got warm quickly. I may need to cover the buckets with mylar to try to keep it cooler while they're young.

I'm going to be a little tough on these girls. The light is up around 18k LUX, the temperatures are close to 80f, and they are going to need to search for their water. No top watering for these little ones. I checked the netpots underneath and they're wet all the way around the basket. There's plenty of moisture down there for them to find. These skunks just need to reach down there and get it ;)

Come on out of there you little cutie! :Rasta:

Last night I put the seedlings in the RDWC system. I'm using the same Hydroton from last grow. It's been washed, soaked in peroxide, then soaked in pHed water for the last 24 hours.

First I put a base layer of hydroton in the netpot. Then I spray the plug to make sure the outside is wet and coat the plug with Dynomyco dust. Then I place it in the netpot as close to the middle as possible and fill in around the outside to hold it in place. For the leggy seedlings I carefully stacked some hydroton around the lower stem as well. Finally, after completely filling the netpot with hydroton, I put on the 'light covers'. Sure, they're just paper plates with holes in the middle, but they keep light from getting through the edges of the netpot.

NOTE: Since the seeds popped several days apart, I needed to keep them in the tray longer than I usually do. I didn't want the taproot to grow down into the bottom, so I blocked the little hole in the bottom with a piece of wax paper. Usually when I take the plugs out of the tray there's one long taproot and that's it. Well, this time there was no long taproot, but there was a LOT of lateral rooting. I really like the looks of the roots on these plugs, and will probably block the hole in the bottom of the tray from now on.

I haven't done seedlings in DWC since my first grow, and I've never done seedlings on this system. I can't believe how tiny they look. Can something that small even make it?

going to do similar to you on this 1 as mines looking good for now,,,getting her ready to move up to the bucket as a few days behind behind

Back
Top Bottom