LKABudMan's Orange Grove - 4 Mimosa x Orange Punch In RDWC - Sponsored By VIVOSUN

Thanks Daniel. I was kind of sad the first time I went down to the basement after I harvested, I really missed the smell. Now the whole house smells like orange candy again, as least for a couple of days ;)
All that time and hard work makes it hard to let it go!

Date: 10/28/22 - Day# 2 of Cure
Strain - Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch photo clones x 4
Drying Space - 3 x 1LB Grove Bags kept in basement

It's hard to believe that this all started on 4/20 with the emergence of Linda, the mother plant. We've gone from soil to cuttings to RDWC with these ladies. I've had a lot of fun on this grow and learned a lot. And it looks like I've rid myself of the spider mites :)

My quadline 'plan' at the beginning was full of flaws. I should have topped on the 5th node instead of the 7th. Then I topped the tops, and should have left them alone. A lot of the second toppings never reached the canopy, where some of the branches that 'should' have been cut did. Finally I let them get too big which made it a pain to even get into the tent. I'm glad I tried it for the learning experience, but the next grow I'll be listening to the plants more and working with them.

I really don't think I did justice to the genetics. I believe that changing the light in the second week of flower stunted the buds. Of course, it could also be responsible for the INSANE amount of trichomes. I'm keeping a sister clone/mother, Linda II, and plan on running these genetics again.

As for the rest clones, most are being/have been flowered out somewhere else. We harvested, washed, and hung Zeke (the outside plant in a 9" SIP planter) last week. She's still drying and will probably be an oz at most. The only one left to harvest is Jimmy Jr. My wife kept this plant by the window under a cheap 100w light. She was fed twice with Geoflora Bloom, and watered when we remembered. For a cheap 100W bulb she did really well. She doesn't have a lot of buds, but the ones she has look fantastic.

The buds I bucked into the Grove bag on Wednesday stayed right @ 63% RH for 24 hours. That's a great place to start the cure. I bucked the rest of the buds yesterday. I had to use three pairs of scissors; one to buck the buds, the second to clean the first, and the third to clean off the second. I had to stop every couple of branches to clean the primary scissors or they would get too gummy to cut, and I had to stop every hanger or two to clean the cleaning scissors. The upside is a nice ball of scissor hash :)

Everything went into Grove bags and got weighed. I ended up with 850g, or almost 30oz. This is the first grow I harvested less than the previous grow. That was bound to happen eventually. Of course, I went into the grow saying quality over quantity, and I can't fault the quality. These are by far the stickiest and stinkiest buds I have ever seen.

I then split it into three 1Lb Grove bags, so that each bag has more airspace. I'll keep monitoring them and tumble the bags occasionally, but from past experience I expect them to settle down right around 62% in a week or so. At that point I'll fill one bag all the way and heat-seal it to extend the cure. The other bag will be kept to go into the rotation immediately.

Last night I squished some of the freshly dried buds. I've been doing 4g at a time bottle-tech style. First I used 160m bags @ 175f, then I switched to the 120m bags. Both came out nice, but the 120m was especially light and full of flavor. It was also very waxy, and I needed to put it in the freezer for a minute or two before I could get it off the paper :)

The hit is orange candy up front with an almost onion/garlic hint on the back end. Another member described it as candy and BO, and that works too. It hits with an immediate mellowness, followed by euphoria and a bit of an energetic boost. I mixed a bit with some purple haze rosin and they really compliment each other. I've really just started dabbing but the flavor is something else. Unfortunately, now when I smoke it mostly tastes like ash ;)

Thank you all for following me on this grow. I really appreciate all of the comments, suggestions, and encouragement. It's an honor and a pleasure to be part of this community. The wealth of knowledge is astounding, but the warmth, kindness, humor and basic respect all of the members show make it feel like I'm a part of a family. And that goes so much further than growing :green_heart:

This concludes this grow journal. I'd like to thank all of the mods and sponsors that make this site possible. And a special thanks to @VIVOSUN for stepping in an sponsoring this journal.

Stay medicated and Happy Growing everyone!

The Bud Factory doesn't stay empty for long, and this time it has seedlings. Come see what I can do with a full grow under the Vivosun VSF6450!

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow

Thanks Trala. They're still not as pretty as yours, though.

Wonderful job Budman! So much frost!

(Don't) stop the presses. :Rasta:

Date: 10/28/22 - Day# 2 of Cure
Strain - Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch photo clones x 4
Drying Space - 3 x 1LB Grove Bags kept in basement

It's hard to believe that this all started on 4/20 with the emergence of Linda, the mother plant. We've gone from soil to cuttings to RDWC with these ladies. I've had a lot of fun on this grow and learned a lot. And it looks like I've rid myself of the spider mites :)

My quadline 'plan' at the beginning was full of flaws. I should have topped on the 5th node instead of the 7th. Then I topped the tops, and should have left them alone. A lot of the second toppings never reached the canopy, where some of the branches that 'should' have been cut did. Finally I let them get too big which made it a pain to even get into the tent. I'm glad I tried it for the learning experience, but the next grow I'll be listening to the plants more and working with them.

I really don't think I did justice to the genetics. I believe that changing the light in the second week of flower stunted the buds. Of course, it could also be responsible for the INSANE amount of trichomes. I'm keeping a sister clone/mother, Linda II, and plan on running these genetics again.

As for the rest clones, most are being/have been flowered out somewhere else. We harvested, washed, and hung Zeke (the outside plant in a 9" SIP planter) last week. She's still drying and will probably be an oz at most. The only one left to harvest is Jimmy Jr. My wife kept this plant by the window under a cheap 100w light. She was fed twice with Geoflora Bloom, and watered when we remembered. For a cheap 100W bulb she did really well. She doesn't have a lot of buds, but the ones she has look fantastic.

The buds I bucked into the Grove bag on Wednesday stayed right @ 63% RH for 24 hours. That's a great place to start the cure. I bucked the rest of the buds yesterday. I had to use three pairs of scissors; one to buck the buds, the second to clean the first, and the third to clean off the second. I had to stop every couple of branches to clean the primary scissors or they would get too gummy to cut, and I had to stop every hanger or two to clean the cleaning scissors. The upside is a nice ball of scissor hash :)

Everything went into Grove bags and got weighed. I ended up with 850g, or almost 30oz. This is the first grow I harvested less than the previous grow. That was bound to happen eventually. Of course, I went into the grow saying quality over quantity, and I can't fault the quality. These are by far the stickiest and stinkiest buds I have ever seen.

I then split it into three 1Lb Grove bags, so that each bag has more airspace. I'll keep monitoring them and tumble the bags occasionally, but from past experience I expect them to settle down right around 62% in a week or so. At that point I'll fill one bag all the way and heat-seal it to extend the cure. The other bag will be kept to go into the rotation immediately.

Last night I squished some of the freshly dried buds. I've been doing 4g at a time bottle-tech style. First I used 160m bags @ 175f, then I switched to the 120m bags. Both came out nice, but the 120m was especially light and full of flavor. It was also very waxy, and I needed to put it in the freezer for a minute or two before I could get it off the paper :)

The hit is orange candy up front with an almost onion/garlic hint on the back end. Another member described it as candy and BO, and that works too. It hits with an immediate mellowness, followed by euphoria and a bit of an energetic boost. I mixed a bit with some purple haze rosin and they really compliment each other. I've really just started dabbing but the flavor is something else. Unfortunately, now when I smoke it mostly tastes like ash ;)

Thank you all for following me on this grow. I really appreciate all of the comments, suggestions, and encouragement. It's an honor and a pleasure to be part of this community. The wealth of knowledge is astounding, but the warmth, kindness, humor and basic respect all of the members show make it feel like I'm a part of a family. And that goes so much further than growing :green_heart:

This concludes this grow journal. I'd like to thank all of the mods and sponsors that make this site possible. And a special thanks to @VIVOSUN for stepping in an sponsoring this journal.

Stay medicated and Happy Growing everyone!

The Bud Factory doesn't stay empty for long, and this time it has seedlings. Come see what I can do with a full grow under the Vivosun VSF6450!

@VIVOSUN #VIVOSUN #LoveWhatYouGrow
Love the grow. :yummy: It seems each one is unique in that you always learn something new.
I've got the Headroom Incident in jars now and will make rosin with about half of it when it cures.
I know what your saying about rosin making your straight bud taste bad. I usually only smoke it after dinner and when I start fresh the next day with a wake and bake, the bud taste fine. I guess the taste buds forget by morning.:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley:

We need to talk about your low temp press, im very interested in getting a dab rig, great thread !!!!!
Grandpa Tokin has a great thread on rosin.
Wonderful job Budman! So much frost!

(Don't) stop the presses. :Rasta:
Thanks GDB. I've only been playing around with the press so far, different temps, times, and bags. I need to do a 'production' run soon ;)
Love the grow. :yummy: It seems each one is unique in that you always learn something new.
I've got the Headroom Incident in jars now and will make rosin with about half of it when it cures.
I know what your saying about rosin making your straight bud taste bad. I usually only smoke it after dinner and when I start fresh the next day with a wake and bake, the bud taste fine. I guess the taste buds forget by morning.:rolleyes::cheesygrinsmiley:
Thanks man, next grow I'm going to try to copy you. Scrog net 12" above the buckets and weave everything in, then flip. Any other tips/secrets?

Do you prefer rosin from cured bud over fresh dried bud?

For both you and GDB, any tricks you want to throw my way about squishing? I'm learning that lower temps and less time get more flavor, with slightly less yield. Right now it is coming out with a waxy consistency, where with higher temperature it was more brittle. And I've learned stirring it lightens the color and makes it more waxy. Have you played around with curing rosin (hot or cold)?

For both you and GDB, any tricks you want to throw my way about squishing? I'm learning that lower temps and less time get more flavor, with slightly less yield. Right now it is coming out with a waxy consistency, where with higher temperature it was more brittle. And I've learned stirring it lightens the color and makes it more waxy. Have you played around with curing rosin (hot or cold)?
You've peaked my curiosity BudMan! I haven't tried smashing at a temp. as low as you used, but I'll be trying it this morning. I've always been between 190 and 200 degrees. And, yes, it sometimes but not always results in brittle rosin.

I find that fresh bud at the correct humidity level gives me better (and bigger) results than cured bud.

I have decarbed rosin a single time. I used a pyrex measuring cup in the oven. I set the oven to 240 degrees and heated about a 1.6 gram piece until most of the bubbling stopped (about 40 minutes), stirring occasionally.

(I mixed the decarbed rosin with some infused coconut oil and made gummies that turned out to be the "real deal!")

I'm betting you'll have a ball with your smasher! And just like me today, when you read about someone doing it differently from you, you'll grab some weed and go try it that way!

Okay. Gotta' go do a few low-temp smashes! :laughtwo:

Thanks man, next grow I'm going to try to copy you. Scrog net 12" above the buckets and weave everything in, then flip. Any other tips/secrets?

I've got my nets 7" above the tray cover. I have purchased the pvc to convert my scrog frame to a double screen. The pvc is not glued so I can just pull it apart. I am thinking 15" extensions for the expected tall strains and something shorter for the medium strains, and no 2nd screen for the short strains..
I think it might be better to let the shoot/limb go vertical a little before bending it over and tying it down to the bottom screen. I am wondering if tying it over too soon doesn't give me enough room between nodes. So, the screen is too thick.

I've only squeezed cured bud, so I don't know about uncured. I have taken my uncured bubble hash that has sat for a few months and made rosin from it. Rosin is always sticky, and bubble hash rosin is more so.
I've only used 160 and 120 micron bags for bud rosin and 45micron for bubble hash rosin.
I squeeze at 190F. I've tried from 180-200 and don't notice a lot of difference.
I squeeze two 6 gram bottle pucks at a time so each rosin disc represents 12 gr flower.

My rosin always looks like differing colors of honey. After I remove it from the tool with a silicone pad and roll it into a ball inside the pad, I smash it flat with another silicone pad and put it in the refrigerator. After a week or so, I wrap it in parchment paper, put it in a zip loc bag, and put the bag in a tupperware and place it in the freezer. I've probably got more than fifty pieces wrapped up in freezer now. Each strain gets it's on ziploc and the hash rosin gets their own bag too.

I have to make myself slow down on the jack handle. If I slow down enough, the handle will drop on it's own with just a little pressure, if I let the heat plates do their job. If you press too fast the heat doesn't have a chance soften it optimally.

Once it reaches maximum press the resistance will feel like hitting a wall. Don't press any more.
I always tried to get a little more and blew the seal on my bottle jack. It was in warranty and DABPRESS sent me a new bottle jack free. I haven't installed it yet, but will soon as I get ready to press the Headroom Incident.

I have to make myself slow down on the jack handle. If I slow down enough, the handle will drop on it's own with just a little pressure, if I let the heat plates do their job. If you press too fast the heat doesn't have a chance soften it optimally.

Once it reaches maximum press the resistance will feel like hitting a wall. Don't press any more.
I always tried to get a little more and blew the seal on my bottle jack. It was in warranty and DABPRESS sent me a new bottle jack free.
I needed to hear this! Thanks so much @gwhunran. :thanks:

EDIT: I'm surprised I haven't blown the seal on my jack yet!

Thanks guys. On my last pressing, I noticed a little puddle of fluid under it. About a tablespoon. It was clear. Hydraulic fluid.
I called Dabpress at my first opportunity and they knew what had happened. They didn't give me a hard time and sent the replacement jack quicker than I thought possible even though I told them it wasn't a rush as I had a couple of months before needing the press again.
I called on a Friday and got the replacement jack on Monday morning. :oops::cheesygrinsmiley:

Thanks guys. On my last pressing, I noticed a little puddle of fluid under it. About a tablespoon. It was clear. Hydraulic fluid.
I called Dabpress at my first opportunity and they knew what had happened. They didn't give me a hard time and sent the replacement jack quicker than I thought possible even though I told them it wasn't a rush as I had a couple of months before needing the press again.
I called on a Friday and got the replacement jack on Monday morning. :oops::cheesygrinsmiley:
That's fantastic customer service and one of the many reasons I purchased from one of our sponsors.

I've got my nets 7" above the tray cover. I have purchased the pvc to convert my scrog frame to a double screen. The pvc is not glued so I can just pull it apart. I am thinking 15" extensions for the expected tall strains and something shorter for the medium strains, and no 2nd screen for the short strains..
I think it might be better to let the shoot/limb go vertical a little before bending it over and tying it down to the bottom screen. I am wondering if tying it over too soon doesn't give me enough room between nodes. So, the screen is too thick.
Thanks for the tips.
I squeeze two 6 gram bottle pucks at a time so each rosin disc represents 12 gr flower.
When you say you do two at a time, they're stacked on top of each other not side by side, right?

Thanks for the tips.

When you say you do two at a time, they're stacked on top of each other not side by side, right?
Side by side.
36gr BD final squeeze (16).JPG

Back
Top Bottom