LKABudMan's Orange Grove - 4 Mimosa x Orange Punch In RDWC - Sponsored By VIVOSUN

Looking good, Budman. Big 'uns!

That comparison pic between the hydros and the soil plant is astonishing! (Or, you're just not too good growing in soil!) :)

Looking good, Budman. Big 'uns!

That comparison pic between the hydros and the soil plant is astonishing! (Or, you're just not too good growing in soil!) :)
Who's the heckler now?
:laugh:

Date: 7/18/22 - Day 22 in RDWC
Strain - Barney's Farm Mimosa x Orange Punch photo clones x 4
Grow space - Vivosun 48x48x80 tent in basement
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 80% 22 Inches away - 36k LUX
Extraction - AC Infinity 6" extraction fan with Controller69
2x 6" oscillating fans + Tower oscillating fan + 12" floor fan
Nutrients - Mega Crop, Stout MSA, Purpinator, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7
Medium - 8" Netpots with clay balls in RDWC system (5x13g buckets)
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm)
Temperatures

Summer's always so busy. It's been hot outside, so we've spent most of our time in the pool or the lake :) The A/C is keeping the basement cool enough and the dehumidifier works when it wants to. It's a little warm for the res, but I'm not getting the room below 70f for this grow, at least not until near harvest time. The plants are loving these temperatures and VPD, though.

On Friday night (day 19) my son and I went down and quadlined all four clones. It's amazing how bushy they'd gotten in the last week, it was hard to even see the main stem. We started by counting the nodes and marking the 6th and 7th nodes, which isn't as easy when they're staggered. However, they still grow on opposite sides of the stem. All of the plants were on their 7th node at least. So, for each plant we topped after the 6th node, and stripped nodes 1-4. Only nodes 5 & 6 remain. I could have started 24 more clones with what we cut off if I had wanted. We tried to put some LST on there, but it's hard to attach wires to these bins. We decided to let the branches grow out a few days and then redo the LST. We started with Tina, because the oldest always gets experimented on ;)

I went down on Sunday night (day 21) to feed the little hempies and a quick look at these girls. They've recovered very well and are already starting to bush up again. Just look at the difference two days make! I did notice some leaf issues, mostly lower leaves, and it looks to be mostly leaves that are being blown by the fan.

I've made three adjustments:
- The floor fan was blowing across the middle of the tent diagonally. I've moved it to blow more vertically on the side. It's really only there to make sure the top & bottom of the tent are well mixed, and it's a bit too powerful to blow directly on these girls right now.
- I added 12.5g of epsom, because my water has a bit of calcium in it and I usually add .25g/G for the magnesium and I realized I never did. I've also added .25g/G epsom to the regular feedings.
- I bumped the MC up .5g/G again to about the 3.5g/G rate. I'll get the new PPM tomorrow once it stabilizes across the res, but I'm guessing it will be in the 700ppm range.

Now I'll keep an eye on the plants and see how they like the new feed. I'm looking for any further yellowing/brown spots which would indicate the problem isn't solved, or any tip burn indicating that the feed to too high (or high enough?). I'll also monitor the PPMs in the res to see if they're going up or down as the plants feed.

I'll fix the LST tonight or tomorrow to get those four branches growing out. I'm thinking of tying the stems to bamboo crosses, or maybe weights? We'll see what works.

I finally planted the rest of the clones from the cloner, and none too soon. The roots were getting really long and starting to tangle.

I'm still holding onto the clones for now, and still looking to get rid of them ASAP. My dad decided he was ready for four more, so most are now spoken for. I'm hoping to get rid of most of them this week, then we'll see what I get up to in the playpen ;)

Thanks for visiting my garden and have a great week.

Hey @Timhomegrow I actually haven't fished in the lake in a few years. I used to fish all the time, and have caught some really great fish out here. I just got a kayak last year and have been having a lot of fun tooling around the lake. It might me time to do a little kayak fishing, though...

Date: 7/19/22 - Day 23 in RDWC
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 80% 22 Inches away - 36k LUX
Nutrients - Mega Crop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7

Last night (Day 22) we went down to LST the girls. I decided to use a 3' bamboo stake cut in half, leaving two 18" pieces for each plant. It worked really well, other than snapping two branches on two different plants :( Lucky I had my first-aid kit and got them taped up right away. Hopefully they'll make it, or I'll have a couple of tri-lines ;) Other than that, the bamboo looks like it'll work really well to keep these girls stretched out. I'll keep training the branches to the outside of the bamboo. By the time it gets to the end, it'll be time for the last topping and to let them go vertical!

This morning (Day 23) it looks like one of the stems that snapped isn't going to make it. It's laying down pretty limp this morning. The other two look to have recovered and are looking good, and all of the buds have turned up to the light. I need to figure out what I want to do about the broken stem. I could just leave it with three limbs, I'll still have plenty of buds to fill the net. I'm thinking about playing around with grafting another limb on there. What else am I going to do with all of these clones? I'll wait a day or so to see what happens and take it from there.

As a side note, I still have several ladybugs in the tent. During the day you rarely see them. It turns out that they hide in the new foliage and in the leaves, looks like they are looking for shade. Yesterday when we were LSTing we grabbed one branch, and about 5 ladybugs came out of the new bud. I'm not sure if these are the original ladybugs, or if these are a new generation. I guess I'll find out in a month or two.

Thanks @Trala I'm looking forward to this grow with 4 symmetrical quadlined plants. It really pleases the engineer in me ;) I just hope I didn't screw that up by ripping an arm off last night 😟
The only thing worse than ripping off one arm is ripping off two! Just ask my Laughing Buddha… who I managed to make cry.

Date: 7/21/22 - Day 25 in RDWC
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 80% 18 Inches away - 45k LUX
Nutrients - Mega Crop, Voodoo Juice, Pirhana, Hydroguard, z7, Purpinator

The RDWC res has crept up to 6.1pH, and the PPMs dropped 50ppm. That tells me that they're feeding well and looking for more. So I topped off with 30g MC today, along with 2ml pH down. The new res read 850/5.9, but I'll check tomorrow to see where it settles out

Out of the three branches that were broken during the LST, two are bouncing back fine. The one definitely didn't make it.

So today I topped one of the hempy clones and grafted it onto the broken branch. I cut a 'V' in the cutting, and put a slit on the branch that was broken. Then I put the two together in taped them up snug. We'll see what happens.

I also tightened up the LST on the rest of the girls, adding another tie down further on the new growth. It's still hard to believe they've only been in the RDWC for 25 days, especially since they really didn't do much for the first week. At the rate they're growing, they'll be at the end of the sticks in a couple of days. At that point I'll need to determine if the branches are long enough to top, or if I need to put up the scrog net to stretch them out further.

It's supposed to be in the 90's all weekend with heat index well above 100F. Enjoy your weekend, have fun, and stay hydrated!

Date: 7/25/22 - Day 29 in RDWC
Light height and reading - Vivosun VS4000 400w LED @ 80% 18 Inches away - 45k LUX
Temperatures

The dehumidifier keeps kicking off. I know it's due to the internal pump, and I know I need to get a permanent workaround in place soon. Until I do, though, the RH in the basement is creeping up. When I looked at the temperature chart this week I noticed something, though. The temperature has been lower in the tent in the last week. I realized I had the exhaust controller set to 78f/60rh. If the room RH is more than 60%, then the exhaust fan will just keep ramping up to try to remove the humidity, causing the temperatures to go down. I'll get this fixed this week.

I've had a couple of setbacks in the garden. The branch that I grafted on didn't take. Oh well, this girl will go on with only three mains. I think she'll be OK :)

Also, the bamboo crosses were ultimately a bust. They seemed to work really well for the initial quadline, aside from breaking off a branch. The problem is that the side nodes grew very quickly. That meant I had to add four more cross members to each plant to tie down the side nodes, or 16 cross pieces total. Aside from that, when we went down Sunday to decide how to handle them, we found some of the ties cutting into the plants. These girls grow so quickly they just can't be tied tightly.

So we removed all of the bamboo and put in the scrog net. First we raised the rack on the back of the tent so the bottom would be even with the net. Then I soaked the net in dilute peroxide solution for 6 hours to make sure it was sterilized from the last grow. It hung it to dry overnight. Today we hung it up just above the top nodes. It's 35" above the floor and 16" above the buckets. I'll weave and tuck every day now for the next week or two, never letting anything get above the net. As soon as all of my main branches are in the net, I'll flip to flower. It doesn't look like it's going to take that long.

The plants are looking really healthy. I went to check the res a couple of days ago and found roots in there 😲 Louise's roots had grown all the way through the caterpillar tube and into the res. I put on some gloves and slowly pulled them out of the res and back into her own bucket. I also checked all of the other buckets. So far they're staying put.

The leaves that are in the center of the tent look a little ugly, but that's more wind-burn that anything else. The same lower leaves on the outside of the tent look spotless. I'll take some ugly leaves to make sure I have proper airflow in the tent.

I plan to change out the res shortly after switching to flower. Until then, I'm topping off with full-strength nutes (6g/G MC), about 1100ppm (2.2ec). This should gradually bring the res up to that level over the next couple of weeks. Up until now I've been mixing nutes as needed. Today I'll mix up 20 gallons in the big pot and keep them bubbling. That should last a week or more of additions without needing to mix nutes.

So the next couple of weeks are the most hands-on of the whole grow. In the next day or two I will top all four branches on each plant. I'll need to be down there every day weaving branches into the scrog net. If needed, I'll supercrop any branches that are growing too quickly. I'll also be slowly getting rid of any branches that are not part of the plan. The goal is to have all tops at the net height at the same time before flipping to flower. I just hope I can do it without ripping off any more branches!

Date: 7/29/22 - Day 33 in RDWC
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Temperatures

Happy Friday! I still haven't fixed the dehumidifier, but I've been emptying it morning and night. It's getting old, though, and I need to make a permanent solution. Even with that, temperatures and RH are really good in the tent right now. It's really hot outside, but the basement is staying nice and cool.

These ladies are really chomping some nutes. The PPMs are steadily falling and the pH is rising. I mixed up an 18 gallon batch of full-strength nutes (6g/G MC+) and have them bubbling at 5.8pH in the spare res. I'm using that for top-offs to keep the res PPM steady/increasing in the next week or two. I'm also adding 1-2ml pH down per day to slowly bring the pH back down to 5.8. Since I add it to the res and it takes a while to circulate through the system, it would be really easy to overshoot and go too low. It's not too far off so there's no reason to try to do it all in one day. They're drinking 2-3 gallons/day now and I'm hoping to get up to 6 gallons/day (1.5 gallons each) in flower.

I've got the scrog net at 16" above the buckets and the plants are starting to grow into it. I had to remove about a dozen of the larger fan leaves at the top just to see some buds. I'm going down every day and moving branches around to fill the net. While I do, I'm also trimming every day. Yesterday I removed all of the 'suckers', or branches growing from the bottom side of another branch. I'm also doing more toppings as the quad branches reach the 5th node. I'll continue to tuck and trim every day until the net is full of the buds I want. I'll try to remember to take before & after pictures every day for the next week to show the progress.

It's only been a couple of days and the net is nearly full already. I have a 400w LED board in the tent and it doesn't really cover the edges. I'm not worried about filling the edges of the net, but I do want the middle completely filled before flipping to flower. At the rate they're growing I expect that to happen within a week.

These girls are growing quickly and the lateral branching is going crazy.

I still have a plan for this grow, quadline and 16 buds per plant. While I'm not abandoning that plan, I'm also not going to stick to the plan rigidly for no reason. My goal is still no larf, and all top buds. I want to fill the scrog net while still making sure that each bud has plenty of room. I already lost one branch so I'm being very careful. I'm also trying really hard not to rush this grow. I know that if I rush now I'll just get frustrated and end up ripping an arm or two off. Instead I'm watching the plants grow, and gently guiding them to where they need to be. If that takes an extra week or two that's fine.

BTW, the other clones are doing just fine. I got rid of a few, and I'll be dropping off more this weekend. I'll keep the best one for a mother, and I may plant one outside just for kicks.

I know that in a week or two these girls will be in flower and hands-off. So I'm going to enjoy shaping and trimming them over the next week or so. Have a fantastic weekend and I'll see you again next week.

Looking stunning as usual LKABudMan!
I still haven't fixed the dehumidifier, but I've been emptying it morning and night.
If you've got a few extra bucks, you can always pick up a condensate pump. Hook the dehumidifier up to drain to the pump, which will turn on when full and pump it to wherever (drain, sink, etc).

Date: 7/29/22 - Day 33 in RDWC
Water - Carbon-filtered well water (100ppm/8.0pH)
Temperatures

Happy Friday! I still haven't fixed the dehumidifier, but I've been emptying it morning and night. It's getting old, though, and I need to make a permanent solution. Even with that, temperatures and RH are really good in the tent right now. It's really hot outside, but the basement is staying nice and cool.

These ladies are really chomping some nutes. The PPMs are steadily falling and the pH is rising. I mixed up an 18 gallon batch of full-strength nutes (6g/G MC+) and have them bubbling at 5.8pH in the spare res. I'm using that for top-offs to keep the res PPM steady/increasing in the next week or two. I'm also adding 1-2ml pH down per day to slowly bring the pH back down to 5.8. Since I add it to the res and it takes a while to circulate through the system, it would be really easy to overshoot and go too low. It's not too far off so there's no reason to try to do it all in one day. They're drinking 2-3 gallons/day now and I'm hoping to get up to 6 gallons/day (1.5 gallons each) in flower.

I've got the scrog net at 16" above the buckets and the plants are starting to grow into it. I had to remove about a dozen of the larger fan leaves at the top just to see some buds. I'm going down every day and moving branches around to fill the net. While I do, I'm also trimming every day. Yesterday I removed all of the 'suckers', or branches growing from the bottom side of another branch. I'm also doing more toppings as the quad branches reach the 5th node. I'll continue to tuck and trim every day until the net is full of the buds I want. I'll try to remember to take before & after pictures every day for the next week to show the progress.

It's only been a couple of days and the net is nearly full already. I have a 400w LED board in the tent and it doesn't really cover the edges. I'm not worried about filling the edges of the net, but I do want the middle completely filled before flipping to flower. At the rate they're growing I expect that to happen within a week.

These girls are growing quickly and the lateral branching is going crazy.

I still have a plan for this grow, quadline and 16 buds per plant. While I'm not abandoning that plan, I'm also not going to stick to the plan rigidly for no reason. My goal is still no larf, and all top buds. I want to fill the scrog net while still making sure that each bud has plenty of room. I already lost one branch so I'm being very careful. I'm also trying really hard not to rush this grow. I know that if I rush now I'll just get frustrated and end up ripping an arm or two off. Instead I'm watching the plants grow, and gently guiding them to where they need to be. If that takes an extra week or two that's fine.

BTW, the other clones are doing just fine. I got rid of a few, and I'll be dropping off more this weekend. I'll keep the best one for a mother, and I may plant one outside just for kicks.

I know that in a week or two these girls will be in flower and hands-off. So I'm going to enjoy shaping and trimming them over the next week or so. Have a fantastic weekend and I'll see you again next week.
Garden is spectacular my friend, stellar update as usual. :welldone:
What are you planning for the clones?
Hope everything is good Amigo.

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Back
Top Bottom