Local Pot Activists Elated Over Decriminalization

Marijuana defenders have been arguing the merits of legalizing the leafy substance at Amherst's annual Extravaganja for almost 20 years - and they'll continue to make the case until it happens.

But in the meantime, they were savoring the victory of Question 2 on the Nov. 4 election ballot, decriminalizing possession of an ounce or less.

It had been a long if not exactly strange trip to this point for some Question 2 activists.

"This has pretty much been our objective since we were founded," said Jon Werner, past president of the University of Massachusetts Cannabis Reform Coalition.

Long battle

Decriminalization didn't happen overnight, though.

"Every year we've been working to put nonbinding resolutions on the ballot that didn't actually work in themselves, but they created this atmosphere in Massachusetts that convinced people that this is what the people really want - and clearly it is because 65 percent of the population voted for it," Werner said.

Since 2000, when a statewide ballot question that would have enacted sweeping reforms failed, voters in more than 125 communities had approved 41 nonbinding regional ballot questions seeking to reform the state's drug laws with respect to marijuana.

Nonbinding

Amherst, the same year, approved a nonbinding referendum to "deprioritize" marijuana violation enforcement and urge state and federal lawmakers to repeal anti-marijuana laws.

Werner found it disappointing in a sense that it took a major infusion of funding from New York billionaire George Soros to pay signature gatherers to get the measure on the ballot this year. "So many people have continuously wanted to pass this bill," the UMass senior said.

A former key organizer of Extravaganja on the Amherst Common, Werner is confident police will continue to work with coalition organizers to ensure the event goes off smoothly.

"We've always had a very close relationship with the police," Werner said.

"Basically the idea has always been that we don't want to embarrass each other."

Last year, coalition member Alex Arsenault, an Amherst native, told the college newspaper, The Daily Collegian, that he grew up thinking every town has an Extravaganja: "I thought it was a normal national event, but sadly that is not the case."

Still skeptical

Amherst activist Terry Franklin, sometimes a publicist for the annual event, isn't taking any chances.

He'll be keeping an eye on police reports to see if marijuana enforcement actually goes up as a result of the new law, he said.

People over 18 years old found in possession of an ounce or less of marijuana will be subject to forfeiture of the marijuana and a $100 civil penalty under the new law, which is expected to go into effect around Dec. 4.

Some Question 2 supporters are a little worried that local officials will view the fine, which would go to the city or town where the offense occurred, as a potential new source of revenue, Franklin said.

If he sees anything like that going on, he will definitely bring it up at Extravaganja, where the fight for legalization will wage on, he said.

Official perspective

Amherst Town Manager Larry Shaffer expects the town will enforce the new law to the letter.

"I have a lot of friends in the law enforcement and education areas that are concerned about this, and I respect that. However, at some point it seems like we've put in a lot of effort in an area that people don't really have strong feelings about," Shaffer said.

"Our job is to obey the law and enforce it and the people have spoken. We'll comport with the law as long as we understand it."

Amherst Police Chief Charles Scherpa said he doesn't think the new law will have a significant impact on his department because officers don't typically make arrests just for possession.

"Most of our charges on marijuana are as a consequence of something else," he said.

As for Extravaganja, Shaffer thinks it's a good event. "I've been to it twice now, and although I don't personally smoke marijuana, and I don't intend to begin either, I enjoyed the rock and roll music and it was good to see the young people out enjoying themselves," said Shaffer.

News Hawk- Ganjarden 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Amherst Bulletin
Author: Mary Carey
Copyright: 2008 Amherst Bulletin

Back
Top Bottom