Lonald's First Time - Soil - Bag Seed - Indoor Grow 2013

Lonald

Hello Everyone!

I am Lonald, pronounced like Ronald with an L. This is my first grow, journal, post ever. I have spent many months since I joined reading and reading, I tried to grow once last year but failed, I jumped the gun and didnt have enough ducks in a row and it only lasted a few days.

So now I have recently moved to the sticks, in an actual house to where I am more free to do what I want.

I am starting with bagseed and I have plenty of it. I figured I would get a few grows in and learn more before ordering good quality seeds.

Now for the grow...

What strain is it? - Bagseed
Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? - Unknown at the moment
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? - Veg
If in Veg... For how long? - 9 days since sprouting
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Earthgro Potting Soil
If soil... what is in your mix? Layer of Perlite at base, and ligth mix of perlite and soil
If soil... What size pot? 4" with drain and pan
Size of light? 4 CFL's 2 warm 2 cool
Is it aircooled? Intake Fan with Filter, Small inside Fan, and Exhaust Fan
Temp of Room/cab? High 70*s lights off, 82-85* Lights on
RH of Room/cab? 29%-33%
PH of media or res? Unknown
Any Pests ? No
How often are you watering? When Needed usually every 2 days
Type and strength of ferts used? Alaskan Fish, 1/2 of recommended for 2 week

Also right now I am doing the gas lantern routine of the 12-12 with 1 hour darkness during lights on.
My box is just a dyi from a rubbermaid tote, Lined with survival blanket Mylar, Intake fan inside the box with a filter on the back of it, Small Fan inside to blow on the lights and air circulation, and one fan without the filter mounted on top of the box for exhaust.

Ok So I have already made some errors, I started 3 seeds that I germinated using the paper towel method, in jiffy pots, with MG Organics (I all had at the time) and they all sprouted fine, then after 2 days one collapsed and died.

After about 5 days I was able to get some Earthgro Potting Soil, and I transferred the 2 remaining into the bigger 4" pots, I added a layer of Perlite at the bottom of the pots, the pots themselves have a drainage system with built in pan. I also (do not know if this is a mistake or not) added some of the water storing crystals to help with over and under watering, If these are a no no someone please inform me.

As of now, Plant A, seems to be doing ok, Plant B on the other hand showed signs of over or under watering (imop) so I did the finger test and it felt pretty dry so tonight I watered it pretty good until it drained out the bottom.

The photos were taken today. They are 9 Days old. I also have one more seed that I germinated in a dixie cup waiting for it to pop.

Really excited to be here and finally growing and posting, as I cant share my grown with anyone else in person for that matter. Hopefully looking forward to learning a lot more from this site and its members!

Camera is a Canon 1DMKII and Canon 17-40mm "L" Lens, for you photoGs out there.

HW9N5650.jpg

HW9N5666.jpg

HW9N5662.jpg

HW9N5651.jpg

HW9N5661.jpg

HW9N5662.jpg

Re: Lonald's First Time, Soil, Bagseed Indoor Grow 2013

Just a little second date update... I watered them pretty good last night and they seem to be perking up a bit, Plant B looks better to me. And then also I got a new little sprout.

Comments and advice always welcome.

Plant A
HW9N5681.jpg

HW9N5680.jpg

HW9N5675.jpg

Plant B
HW9N5685.jpg

HW9N5682.jpg

HW9N5679.jpg

HW9N5676.jpg

New Sprout
HW9N5677.jpg

Ok so some bad news, last night about an hour before lights on, I walked by the closet I have them in and something didn't sound right, I looked and my whole growbox was on the ground, don't know for how long or why, but it was a mess. I quickly repotted plants A and B and put them in a dark place. The sprout didn't make it, but it gave me a chance to re do my box. I pulled out all of the Mylar, and tried to paint the inside white. That didn't work as well as I thought, so I made some white panels using some left over photo paper. And also moved my intake fan to the outside of the box, seems to work well, now with lights on my temps stay under 81* and RH at 29-33%

Got the plants back under the lights when they came on, and they seem like they will recover. The lights must of been touching plant A, it has a burnt leave, like crispy burnt. So they got repotted and just waiting until lights on to see how they are doing. I went ahead and started germinating 2 mores seeds. My plan is to use this box for starting seedlings and some veg, I am working on finding a nice cabneint that will fit in the closet and make a grow cabneint out of it.

Ill post some photos tonight. As always comments and advice welcome.

Do they look over watered? Also, I have read that the intakes should be passive to create backpressure to remove heat. Im a noob too, so make sure and check me on that. Those pics they kinda looked droopy. I am running 4 26w cfls and i just got some bagseed to start budding so Im sure you will do great. Patience, and research. I have learned alot from this site, anything you can think of is covered in here somewhere. Good luck sir! :goodluck:

Do they look over watered? Also, I have read that the intakes should be passive to create backpressure to remove heat. Im a noob too, so make sure and check me on that. Those pics they kinda looked droopy. I am running 4 26w cfls and i just got some bagseed to start budding so Im sure you will do great. Patience, and research. I have learned alot from this site, anything you can think of is covered in here somewhere. Good luck sir! :goodluck:

Thanks! They ended up being under watered, The soil was dried out all the way through. I got watered them good the other night and they were starting to perk up when the box fell off its perch onto the floor during the night somehow, everything was a mess.

I checked tonight and they seem to be coming back around again. I took the opportunity and re did the box, and had to replant then since they both came out of their pots during the fall. I did not add in the watering crystals this time.

And yep! I spend hours of the day and night reading on here, I try to find an answer to my questions before I ask.

The Fan actually works great, brings in fresh filtered Air, and helps with the circulation, and with the 3rd little fan added inside the box and my temps are great, never gets above 81-82 when lights are on, lights off it seems to stay around 76.

I will check out your grow and sub Im sure! Thanks for commenting!

Sorry was out of town for the weekend, ill have a more detailed update this week. But in short it's been bad lol, one night last week while the lights were off, I peeked my head in and the box somehow was on the ground, on its side.... Don't know how or why either.

So I had to re pot plant a and b, the sprout didn't make it. Plant A never recovered and also didn't make it. Plant B the one that was doing poor to begin with, is the only one that made it. And started to come back, growth is really slow. So I started 2 more seeds, and got them sprouted right before I had to leave for the weekend.

So one seedling I put in a plastic cup with lots of holes, and filled it with only perlite... Going to be an experiment for later lol. And one seedling in a jiffy pot. Well whe I left the house I set the ac to keep the house in the 70s so the box would not get hot. Well the wife turned the ac off before we left, hose got hot enough that my beta fish in a one gallon filtered tank died...

The box was 103*s when we got home tonight after the sun had already gone down, I can only imaging how hot it was when it was in the 90s over the weekend. So the sprout in the jiffy pot was fallen over and dried out. Dark green leaves still so I watered and left it alone, and got the box cooled off. The sprout in the perlite was fine, and plant B was all droopy again and dry. The sprout in perlite is in a plastic cup that holds water.

Ill post some photos this week.

You are right! I wonder how this will effect them, that is a lesson learned, no more smoking while planing

Thanks Spimp, ill try and get some when the lights come on tonight.
Well im glad you still got somethng going. I hope they pull thru and Im looking foward to some pics!

I hope not, been a rough few weeks
I don't think it will effect anything other than speed of growth and that only very slightly, still young 'uns :thumb:

I also switched and got 4x 6500k spiral bulbs in there now, the 6500s I had in there had a diffuser bubble. It's getting hotter here so I am probably going to have to put in a window unit or portable ac unit.

I also picked up a cheap old cabneint, that's a lot bigger, and going to start constructing another box.

I will try again to get some photos tonight everyone, was going to last night but after dinner I had my first passing of a kidney stone experience, and I will just say it was a long long night filled with a pain pill (which I hate taking) and I probably smoked about 5-6 grams of some cream soda I have here, mixed with some kind bud. That was my first experience with pain that made you nauseated.

I have never smoked to cure nausea before and I must say it worked well. I smoke due to the fact that I love it, but joint pain and a bad case of restless leg syndrome that effects my whole body at night are the driving factors that led me to this wonderful green stuff.

So hopefully in a few hours when the lights come on I will get some photos, Ive fixed my light problem and got them on the actual GLR schedule. We shall see what happens.

Sorry it's been pretty hectic around here, I'm better now, but have had some other issues to deal with. Ill either get some photos tonight or soon. Not much to see right now, the seedling died off after I tried to transplant it into dirt. The other seedling in the jiffy pot never recovered and died. The only thing left is plant B, and it's still hanging on, it's just growing really slow. I have 4 seeds being germinated right now, they have been cooking for a few days, so ill take them out tonight when the lights come on. I use the paper towel method. Put I put them in a small box and leave them in the grow box, they seem to germinate faster in there, it stays nice and warm in their.

Finally some photos, now Plant B is still alive and I think finally coming out of shock, starting to show some actualy growth thats not drooping, so I think I might be on track with the watering. Plant B has been through a lot, and almost died a few times, and looks like shes is tiny for being a month old.

Then I also planted the 4 germed seeds into solo cups with drain holes, and in a nice deep dish pan, Ive been keeping another metal pan on top of them after planting them. I keep them in the box to keep them warm, and its a nice place to stick plant B on to get closer to the lights. 2 of the 4 have sprouted.

My question (that I am about to go search) is how long after they break the surface do you put them under the lights?

Also you can see, I got some different 6500K blubs and replaced what I had in there. Also took out all of the mylar and did a little light painting, and made some reflectors on the side of the box using photo paper. Also moved the intake fan to the outside of the box, which reduced the heat a little. My temps have been steady in the low to mid 80s and 30-32% RH. Going to add 2 of the big 2500 CFLS that I had tonight. I figure with 5 little ones going I will need more light. I still need to get a PH meter/testing supplies, I have no clue what the PH of the soil or water is. Been hard to find supplies, and I live in the sticks. I also got the Gas Lantern Routine figured out now lol.

I hope to start working on the new cabinet, just not quiet sure on how to start on it, still brainstorming. Hopefully I can have it up and running in a month. Then going to have the 2 boxes going, then just use the cheap box to start them.

As always comments, questions, and advice are always welcome.

HW9N8217.jpg

HW9N8220.jpg

HW9N8224.jpg

i am concerned your heat is too high for your seedling, its lower leaves should not be dying already. it may be from all the previous damage. i would unscrew a light bulb or two and drop your temperature to to the 70F zone just to be safe. you may also be over watering your plant as the leaves also look droopy still. i would not use any nutrients on your plants yet and use pH 6.5 adjusted water only until it improves.

here is a pH nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

here is a meter you may like

https://www.google.com shopping Hanna Hi 98103

here are some searches for pH meters

https://www.google.com search digital pH meter

https://www.google.com search digital pH tester

most pH meters have a 2 point calibration. pour a small amount of pH 7 solution into a plastic bag and dip your meters tip into it, adjust your meters trimmer until it reads 7. next pour a small amount of pH 4 solution into a plastic bag and dip your meters tip into it, adjust your meters trimmer until it reads 4. never let your meters tip dry out. either use storage solution or pH 7 solution in the cap to keep it from drying out. re calibrate your meter every 2 weeks so it is accurate.
i often buy from www.sunflowersupplies.com
here are 16 oz sizes for pH 7 and pH 4 solutions at reasonable prices.
https://www.sunflowersupplies.com/products/GENESIS-PH-7.01-BUFFER-CALIBRATION-SOLUTION-16-oz.html
https://www.sunflowersupplies.com/products/GENESIS-PH-4.01-BUFFER-CALIBRATION-SOLUTION-16-OZ-.html

^^ really good advice. KingJohn doesnt speak often so when he does LISTEN. I was thinking about commenting about the light color and dead leaves but Im just a noob. Also didnt want to bum you out after all the problems you have had.
:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom