Long term storage and RH

Stunned

Hi everyone,
A couple of questions regarding storage of your harvested crop.
So, you've harvested, you've air dried, it, trimmed it, cured it ect.
You're 100 percent finished........

Now what?
If you've grown just for yourself, you may upwards of 15, 16 or more ounces to store.
Whats the best way to store it long term so that it stays fresh, keeps it's potency, taste and aroma?
I'v been thinking about this issue alot lately because I'm about 2 weeks from my own harvest.

One thing that I think will help me is that I'm also a Huge Cuban cigar enthusiast.
I have several thousand dollars of fine cigars that have to be kept in just the right conditions for long term storage.
Could weed possibly be stored in the same manner?

First off, what is the perfect RH for any type of long term storage?
You can buy bodeva packs at a number of different humidity levels.
These are little packs you toss into a container with your leaf, bud ect.
They are actually a 2 way exchange that give off or take in humidity depending on the pack you choose.
It comes in a vareity of humidity levels, from 58 up to 70

Another thought was a cryovac system to remove all the air from the container and seal it.
The food saver system comes to mind, just huck all your bud into the bag, hook it up to the machine and hit the button.
The machine pulls out all the air and then seals the top of the bag. Absolutely airtight.
Good idea, bad idea?
With all the air being pulled out like that, would the resin in the buds turn it into one big hunk of mess?
Dunno.....

Maybe traditional mason jars with the addition of a bodeva pack is the answer. If anyone has ideas, by all means let's hear it

Hi everyone,
A couple of questions regarding storage of your harvested crop.
So, you've harvested, you've air dried, it, trimmed it, cured it ect.
You're 100 percent finished........

Now what?
If you've grown just for yourself, you may upwards of 15, 16 or more ounces to store.
Whats the best way to store it long term so that it stays fresh, keeps it's potency, taste and aroma?
I'v been thinking about this issue alot lately because I'm about 2 weeks from my own harvest.

One thing that I think will help me is that I'm also a Huge Cuban cigar enthusiast.
I have several thousand dollars of fine cigars that have to be kept in just the right conditions for long term storage.
Could weed possibly be stored in the same manner?

First off, what is the perfect RH for any type of long term storage?
You can buy bodeva packs at a number of different humidity levels.
These are little packs you toss into a container with your leaf, bud ect.
They are actually a 2 way exchange that give off or take in humidity depending on the pack you choose.
It comes in a vareity of humidity levels, from 58 up to 70

Another thought was a cryovac system to remove all the air from the container and seal it.
The food saver system comes to mind, just huck all your bud into the bag, hook it up to the machine and hit the button.
The machine pulls out all the air and then seals the top of the bag. Absolutely airtight.
Good idea, bad idea?
With all the air being pulled out like that, would the resin in the buds turn it into one big hunk of mess?
Dunno.....

Maybe traditional mason jars with the addition of a bodeva pack is the answer. If anyone has ideas, by all means let's hear it

Mason jars work fine, tinted ones even better. Throw in a 62% boveda and you're set. Keep it in a dark place, like the cupboard or something. If the RH is stable you can store the bud for a long time

I would sure give pressure canning at 15 PSI for about half an hour try. The jars seal and there is still some humidity in the jars fully sealed. Simply put the product in a liter jar, put top on, and pressure can. Nothing could be more simple. Of course if you don't know anything about pressure canning it could be a problem, since you must do a bit of learning. Th most practical canner is a 23 quart PRESTO.

Those bags don't look very special...
I keep everything in various sized jars. The one gallon jars are nice.

Mostly with boveda packs. Works totally fine for me. The oldest bud I have around is about three years old. It usually gets smoked before that.
If you wanted super long term storage for some reason, I do think it would be a benefit to remove the oxygen. It's also possible that removing the oxygen might be a good thing for regular storage. Oxygen may be your friend during the curing stage but for long term storage I believe it's destructive. They make jars that connect to a food saver -vaccuum sealer, and allow you to suck the air out. I haven't tried that.
Vac-sealing in a plastic bag will give you a compressed bud lump/pancake.

Those bags don't look very special...
I keep everything in various sized jars. The one gallon jars are nice.

Mostly with boveda packs. Works totally fine for me. The oldest bud I have around is about three years old. It usually gets smoked before that.
If you wanted super long term storage for some reason, I do think it would be a benefit to remove the oxygen. It's also possible that removing the oxygen might be a good thing for regular storage. Oxygen may be your friend during the curing stage but for long term storage I believe it's destructive. They make jars that connect to a food saver -vaccuum sealer, and allow you to suck the air out. I haven't tried that.
Vac-sealing in a plastic bag will give you a compressed bud lump/pancake.

DGbags seem like a convenient alternative that can't break unlike jars. Not sure you can open and close Boveda packs though.

Boveda packs aren't meant to open and close.
Hmmm... well I guess I can't claim to actually know anything about those bags I was dissing.it was just a comment. They just looked like some of those 'anti-smell' bags I've had in the past that didn't amount to much. It's really not important. But from my experience the very best plastic bags will break withIn a few years. Most will break within months if not weeks or days. .. Some of my gallon jars I have -I inherited them over two decades ago and they're many decades older than that.

Back
Top Bottom