Long time follower brand new member!

G'day Backlipslide, first of all is that my mother in your dp?

I've just posted in another topic but question #1 of my 100 is in regards to growing in tropical climates (outdoors) in regards to cyclones/typhoons/tropical storms/monsoon troughs. Wanting some info on what everyone else does when a day or 3-5 days of downpours occur alongside heavy cloud cover (when usually 14 hours of sun) occurs? My initial thoughts personally were 1. Indoors under grow lights 1.1: powers out for up to 4-5 days after a cyclone and still cloudy let alone strong winds and heavy rain so under cover is the option how humidity and mould are a factor. Option 2 was solar panel but then as of 1.1 : no sun so no power . Can these cloudy days affect cycles? As in turn veg to flower or vice versa? In my opinion I would use the minimal power production from the solar panels to power a fan to circulate air and avoid to much humidity and mould. Sorry of the questions or statements are silly just an actual enquiry to anyone in the same position.

Welcome Cleanasawhistle to 420 Magazine.

G'day West Hippie,

Thanks for the likes on my profile. New here and not sure how to use all of this but will work it out. I saw you're profile and noticed you had to drop turkeys with the family around Christmas and not get the chance to celebrate as usual. Here in Queensland we were very lucky and didn't have to take it into account so far. I just wanted to pass my wishes on from northern Australia and say I hope you ar all doing okay and pass on our wishes to those doing it tough. Hang it in there mate. Soon enough she'll be right cob

I've just posted in another topic but question #1 of my 100 is in regards to growing in tropical climates (outdoors) in regards to cyclones/typhoons/tropical storms/monsoon troughs. Wanting some info on what everyone else does when a day or 3-5 days of downpours occur alongside heavy cloud cover (when usually 14 hours of sun) occurs? My initial thoughts personally were 1. Indoors under grow lights 1.1: powers out for up to 4-5 days after a cyclone and still cloudy let alone strong winds and heavy rain so under cover is the option how humidity and mould are a factor. Option 2 was solar panel but then as of 1.1 : no sun so no power . Can these cloudy days affect cycles? As in turn veg to flower or vice versa? In my opinion I would use the minimal power production from the solar panels to power a fan to circulate air and avoid to much humidity and mould. Sorry of the questions or statements are silly just an actual enquiry to anyone in the same position.
Here's a link to the answers you want Outdoor Growing

G'day Growers and Information enthusiasts. I'm a 10 year reader for info yet only just now joined as a member (actually don't know why it took 10 years :0) posting from far north Qld Australia. Love the info and love the sense of comradery between people helping on another! I've got at least 100 questions to ask
Welcome my friend. There are lots of wonderful people here who call down under home. Glad we have one more.

Solar can get pricey but with proper storage you should be able to run most indoor equipment. On the cheaper sidea power inverter could run 12v or ever 120v fans for quite a long time. Also a timer would help, you don't need to run fan 24hr when power is out. 20 minutes on 10 minutes off. Just a thought
Happy growing.

Welcome my friend. There are lots of wonderful people here who call down under home. Glad we have one more.

Solar can get pricey but with proper storage you should be able to run most indoor equipment. On the cheaper sidea power inverter could run 12v or ever 120v fans for quite a long time. Also a timer would help, you don't need to run fan 24hr when power is out. 20 minutes on 10 minutes off. Just a thought
Happy growing.
Simple yet solid advice. The government don't tell in advance here about severe weather due to in accuracy however I can read weather maps, looks like we are 2 weeks away from a severe cyclone. Getting nervous

Happy growing.
Yeah I've already got the solar panels from this last year. Once covid hit we left town and went completely off grid for 8 months (best experience ever) also did it with a 2 month old at the time. Now he's a full on bush kid. Mrs is about to give birth again and I've agreed 2x bush kids is full on so living like the city folk again. So solar is free but yeah wasn't too sure what everyone does

Yeah I've already got the solar panels from this last year. Once covid hit we left town and went completely off grid for 8 months (best experience ever) also did it with a 2 month old at the time. Now he's a full on bush kid. Mrs is about to give birth again and I've agreed 2x bush kids is full on so living like the city folk again. So solar is free but yeah wasn't too sure what everyone does
Oh shirt hope thar cyclone doesn't hit you. :thedoubletake: if you have the gear already thats great. Just make sure you bolt them down well. Wouldn't want the people 2 streets over picking up their new solar panels off the front lawn after the next storm.:rollit::green_heart:

Welcome to the forum @Clean as a whistle

Looks like your off to a great start.
No such thing as tropical anything where I am unless it's from a store lol.

Take care of yourself and that family of yours above all else :high-five:

Tropical climates can be tricky to grow in. The best way to combat that, is simply growing inside. Yes you were saying you battle power outages, but having a back up generator to run all you’re necessities would have to come into factor.

other option, is building a out building. Nothing fancy, just something with a roof, doesn’t even have to have walls. Just somewhere you can move them while it’s storming.
You can move them in an out at you’re own pleasure, as the sun comes and goes. On the days it’s cloudy, then plants still soak up those rays, it’s just not as intense as if it were a hot day.

if you keep you’re plants stay pretty dry, and have good air flow, all the time, then bud rot isn’t very likely. You have to be very diligent on keeping good air flow though.

powdery mildew is also a possibility, but there’s ways around that. Cross that bridge when and if it happens.

Back
Top Bottom