Long Time Grower & Producer

Liam Hughes

Hi group,
I live in the Toronto area in Ontario, Canada. While legalization occurred a couple of years ago, I have been indoor growing for 7-8 years now. I produced my first outdoor (legal) grow of 4 plants last year with outstanding results.
I've done a lot of research over the years on growing methods, non-chemical past control, cloning, decarboxilating, making butter and tincture, as well as making gummy bears.
After my introduction, I will create my first post on decarboxilating cannabis. I haven't read any threads as yet, so my information will likely have been previously posted by others, but it never hurts to have confirmation from others regarding best practices.
I mostly smoke and use my tincture. I find I have to take too many edibles to have them take affect well, to the point where it isn't economically feasible. From the research I've done, it's very possible the culprit is a supplement I take called N-acetyl L-cystine (NAC) that I started to take because it promotes the formation of glutathione. Anyway, there seems to be something that cuts off the stomach-to-brain barrier that doesn't occur when taking through the lungs (smoke) or into the bloodstream (tincture). Since I enjoy the health benefits of NAC (I haven't been sick in 3 years since I began taking 1000mg/day), I'll have to be happy without edibles. I make them for other people, for enjoyment and/or pain relief.
I have 2 'patients' in their 80's who take my gummies every day for pain relief. One takes 1/3 of one before bed, while the other takes 1/2 bear, twice a day.
I'm always interested in new techniques that can help increase yields and create a better quality smoke.

Welcome to the forum! It's wonderful to see how cannabis helps the elderly. My adult special needs son utilizes CBD for achs and pains from his genetic disorder and THC for his insomnia. Would love to pick your brain on a recipe for gummies that I can combine his meds into. He can not smoke, so I've been researching how to make edibles. Look forward to what you bring to the site. Cheers!

Welcome to the forum! It's wonderful to see how cannabis helps the elderly. My adult special needs son utilizes CBD for achs and pains from his genetic disorder and THC for his insomnia. Would love to pick your brain on a recipe for gummies that I can combine his meds into. He can not smoke, so I've been researching how to make edibles. Look forward to what you bring to the site. Cheers!

Thanks. I've just started growing my first CBD strain called Cannatonic. I'm really looking forward to testing a plant with a high CBD and low THC content.
The gummy bear recipe would work just as well with a CBD focus. The decarboxilation process would also be the same. Is there a concern with making the tincture with alcohol? If not, the tincture can be added to any food or drink. If it's a concern, the process of making gummy bears and reducing the tincture burns off pretty much all of the alcohol.
Please feel free to ask me anything.

No alcohol would not be an issue. If you don't mind me asking how did you come up with your recipe for the gummies? I mean I would love to actually have that printed out and in my son's cookbook. Because of my son's disorder he has literally the mind of a 2yo he is actually 22 years old. So when I cook recipes from dinner, or his meds.this how I get his input by using from the pictures I put into his recipe book. Thank you for responding to me so quickly.

No alcohol would not be an issue. If you don't mind me asking how did you come up with your recipe for the gummies? I mean I would love to actually have that printed out and in my son's cookbook. Because of my son's disorder he has literally the mind of a 2yo he is actually 22 years old. So when I cook recipes from dinner, or his meds.this how I get his input by using from the pictures I put into his recipe book. Thank you for responding to me so quickly.
This is the site where you can download a pdf of the recipe.

Thank you soooooo much. A lot of the recipes I found online weren't really that good.
Magical butter machine ordered. LOL

I hope he enjoys them. I don't know if you're aware the the concentrated flavoring, so I've added a pic. I've only ever added one dram in the past, but I just noticed that the recipe calls for 4 of these containers. That should significantly alter the taste. I found the best price for this is Amazon.
15824245267742747102060320974574.jpg

Man I really want a shot at growing outside. Does it matter how big your outdoor plants are? :morenutes:
Welcome!
:high-five:
In Canada, the outdoor height restriction is 1 metre, which is quite short. I didn't believe it was possible, but with trimming (until the first week of August when the the plants begin to flower) and tying the plant back or scrogging, you can keep it legal. A friend whom I donate plants to every year, grows outside exclusively and his plants will grow up to 3 metres high. It also helps to choose strains that are compact by nature. My favourite strain is Blackberry Dream for nighttime smoking and it is naturally short, but with heavy trimming, I had close to 30 main grow points. The buds were fat and heavy. What I need to work out this year is keeping the large buds from rotting due to retaining too much moisture. When I was at home after a rain, I would shake the excess water off the flowers. Had I not done that, I'm sure it could have been much worse. This is only a concern late September into early October- just prior to harvest.

I wish I could do that where I live but soil is about 85% clay. either way I know if I was able to do it they probably would not last because I'm sure they would "disappear" magically. LOL

I wish I could do that where I live but soil is about 85% clay. either way I know if I was able to do it they probably would not last because I'm sure they would "disappear" magically. LOL
I also gave a clay base. Over the years I had soil delivered as well as buying 100's of bags every year. This year, I bought 5 gallon fabric bags that I'm going to run a chain through all of them and padlock them all together. If someone is going to steal them, there isn't much you can do. Since this is only year 2 of legally growing outside, I decided I would experiment with different methods. What I think I do have right is the age of the plants I plant. I think 10 weeks after clone stage gives them a nice head start. That means clone now.

Back
Top Bottom