Long Time Grower & Producer

In Canada, the outdoor height restriction is 1 metre, which is quite short. I didn't believe it was possible, but with trimming (until the first week of August when the the plants begin to flower) and tying the plant back or scrogging, you can keep it legal. A friend whom I donate plants to every year, grows outside exclusively and his plants will grow up to 3 metres high. It also helps to choose strains that are compact by nature. My favourite strain is Blackberry Dream for nighttime smoking and it is naturally short, but with heavy trimming, I had close to 30 main grow points. The buds were fat and heavy. What I need to work out this year is keeping the large buds from rotting due to retaining too much moisture. When I was at home after a rain, I would shake the excess water off the flowers. Had I not done that, I'm sure it could have been much worse. This is only a concern late September into early October- just prior to harvest.

Hey Liam, that 1m height restriction was scraped, there are no size restrictions on a national level, the only rules for outdoor growing at the federal level are:

4 plants maximum
And
Must be out of the public’s view.

At provincial and municipal levels, the are a wide array of rules.

Where I live, it’s only the federal rules, there are none at the provincial or municipal level.
In the HRM, Halifax Regional Municipality, you are not allowed to grow outside at all.

I have always grown 8 to 12 plants in my yard, can’t be seen from the road or neighbours lol
Even with my shorter plants, I haven't even smoked half of what I grew outside. I grow indoors as well, so I use all of that for edibles and tincture.
I noticed something from my outdoor growing that hasn't occurred indoors; that is, I have been getting a fair amount of seeds per plant. When I grind up the flower in my king can, the holes are large enough that the seeds fall through and are preserved. I'm wondering if you get seeds as well....and have you harvested any of them?

If you are getting seeds in your outdoor plants, and they show no signs of having hermied, then someone near to you has had male plants that pollinated yours lol

I have had a few “false” seeds now and then, looks like a seed but just and empty husk.

The only true seed I get is from self crossing my females indoors.

If you are getting seeds in your outdoor plants, and they show no signs of having hermied, then someone near to you has had male plants that pollinated yours lol

I have had a few “false” seeds now and then, looks like a seed but just and empty husk.

15824692376723214714604716590629.jpg

The seeds are very real and there were definitely no males around. I'm going to have to propagate a few and see what I get.
All the plants I've ever grown were started from female seeds and cloned. I know what you're referring to with empty pods. I get that with indoor plants, but the outdoor, full nature seeds surprised me.

You must be right that there had to be a male somewhere in the neighborhood. My plants showed no signs of being hermaphroditic.

I really don’t worry about my outdoor girls getting pollinated, my closest neighbors don’t grow and the closest growers to me are far enough away that the pollen doesn’t carry that far due to the landscape.

If it was relatively flat terrain and few trees, pollen can carry a long way in the wind.

Seeds don’t actually reduce the potency of the trichomes, but as seed weighs more than unseeded bud, the percentage goes down and seed in your bud doesn’t make for a good smoke, the seeds pop like popcorn lol

When I am harvesting seed, I dry the bud to a crisp, dry sieve on a 150 micron screen and use all the now busted, seedless bud to make oil. Last crop of Blue Dream yielded me 2500 viable feminized seed and 12g of potent, thick, amber oil that I use making edibles:)

Seeds don’t actually reduce the potency of the trichomes, but as seed weighs more than unseeded bud, the percentage goes down and seed in your bud doesn’t make for a good smoke, the seeds pop like popcorn lol

When I am harvesting seed, I dry the bud to a crisp, dry sieve on a 150 micron screen and use all the now busted, seedless bud to make oil. Last crop of Blue Dream yielded me 2500 viable feminized seed and 12g of potent, thick, amber oil that I use making edibles:)
I often do 'quantities' of grinding at a sitting, then carefully go through it to extract the seeds prior to putting in a container.
I'm currently running 3 main strains: Moonshine's Ghost Train Haze for daytime smoking, Blackberry Dream for night smoking and Critical Widow for edibles. I will smoke the Critical at night, at times, just to switch it up, but the smoke is harsh compared to the Dream.

Damn what are the odds of someone else's plants pollinating yours..lol OUTDOORS!!!:rofl:

From what little I've read, the quality of the cannabis is compromised by having seeds. Having said that, the quality of the outdoor plants still far exceeds anyhting I've been able to produce indoors.
I've been able to smoke outdoor weed, hydro, and indoor(grown in soil). The taste Is so much better from outside (depending on watering) cannabis is very similar to tomatoes in that way. Meaning when you do a good wet to dry watering schedule for tomatoes the "tomato flavor" is more pronounced or stronger than when you keep them watered all the time. Same goes for cannabis outside, If you used a good wet dry method the taste is more pronounced. Hydro is pretty harsh despite how much you flush there is almost always newts still in the buds. Indoor seems to be a happy middle place. This is just my opinion from my experience.

Bees are our great pollinators and they can travel some distance from their hive, I imagine.
True.. it's justthe possibility of that bee finding both plants..

If I could send you samples of my indoor crops, I would wager you would change your mind lol

The best smelling and tasting bud, comes from organic soils (hence the reason you prefer outdoor) and a light spectrum closer to the sun and in all honesty, lower temps during flower.

The most aromatic bud I grow is in the seed tent with runs about 70F (21C), the densest bud and not far behind the LED seed tent for taste and aroma, comes from my big tent with CMH lights which runs about 80F (27C)

Back
Top Bottom