Looking at solving a Fungus Gnat & drainage issue

WestCountryGrower

420 Member
I am looking at finding some organic ways in which to rid my fungus gnat problem. The issue of the Nats are causing my soil drainage to be nil and I'm scared to have the girls begin a root rot issue. Does anybody have any home remedies or tips and tricks on how to fix this? I appreciate your time your effort and all of the knowledge that you share in advance. Puff puff pass

Attachments

• 20200129_164549.jpg
    20200129_164549.jpg
    1,005.5 KB · Views: 113
I used beneficial nematodes in the form of Pot Poppers to attack the larva, and the yellow sticky traps as detectors and adult flier killers. These cleaned up most of the problem within two weeks.

Mosquito Bits and Dunks may also work, but you'll need to check whether they are appropriate if you are growing in LOS.

BTI, the active ingredient in mosquito Dunks and bits,is safe for use in organic gardening:
The stuff works,and is totally harmless to anything but Mosquito,Fungus Gnat,ot Black fly larva.
I've used it for a year now, haven't had a gnat problem for that long.
The issue of the Nats are causing my soil drainage to be nil
I don't see how gnat larva will cause poor drainage-you must have something else going on.

BTI, the active ingredient in mosquito Dunks and bits,is safe for use in organic gardening:
The stuff works,and is totally harmless to anything but Mosquito,Fungus Gnat,ot Black fly larva.
I've used it for a year now, haven't had a gnat problem for that long.

I don't see how gnat larva will cause poor drainage-you must have something else going on.
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
I'm trying to figure it, I know the soil isn't exactly perfect but 2 of the pots are perfect in the same medium.

I used beneficial nematodes in the form of Pot Poppers to attack the larva, and the yellow sticky traps as detectors and adult flier killers. These cleaned up most of the problem within two weeks.

Mosquito Bits and Dunks may also work, but you'll need to check whether they are appropriate if you are growing in LOS.
On my way to town to go and get some nematodes now, thank you! I do have the sticky catcher flags.

Anyone done anything with hydrogen peroxide?

Peroxide will kill the gnat larva,but it'll also kill the beneficial critters in an organic grow.

Yea your backwards on that. Your poor soil drainage or irrigation is causing the gnat problem. They like wet medium. Don't use h202 in your organic grow it would be like dropping napalm on all your bennies.

BTI or nematodes will help with the current problem but won't correct the root cause. Your watering too much or too frequently depending on the soil porosity and water requirements of the plant. Fixing this problem will help keep the problem from coming back

If the soil was well mixed, before dividing it into the multiple pots, something else is going on to stop the drainage. Check the drain holes in the pot. If they are clear, push a 1/4" (6mm) dowel or plant support through the drain holes to the sides of the pot at its rim, feeling for obstructions. You may or may not find any. Lift the pot up from the drain tray. You can use bricks, a wire shelf, old oven or refrigerator racks to lift the pots above the trays. The idea is to prevent the water from wicking back up into the pot. Set up a wet/dry cycle, starting by letting the soil dry out almost completely. Check out Emilya's 'The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant' for more information on this, including why it's important.

The fungus gnat larvae would increase drainage in the first inch or two (25-50mm) of the soil, not block it.

My first step would be fan directly on planters so gnats get blown the fuck out the room and dry those containers at the same time.Step two mouse traps the sticky gel kind top down on soil.Three vacuum up gnats carefully to not suck up plant leaves been there done that not funny.Keep vacuuming gnats so they cannot reproduce dry buckets by putting them on risers some use wood blocks others use bottle caps what ever works to get air to the root ball.

I took them out by reducing watering until pots are light...added mosquito bits to my soil surface and dropped in yellow traps to monitor. Went from bad to almost zero. I also used cheap bird suet feeders to raise my pots up for better airflow.

419DB915-601A-4D91-B198-3D5C93959214.jpeg

Great you have them under control!

Back
Top Bottom