Looking for a job

Tiger Bass

I have the application for a job that my mom works at. It pays quite well for a workload that will be next to nothing. The only catch is, if they drug test me and I fail, Im done for. So what criteria must a company follow if they decided to drug test you. Must they come straight out and say it on the application? Because I can't quite tell the one I have. Certain parts of the job are physically demanding so they have stuff about denying employment upon a doctor's recommendation. That part kind of worries me.

Here's the exact part:

"I understand and acknowledge that any offer of employment is expressly conditioned upon my completion of a pre-employment medical questionnaire, a review by the company’s physicians of responses to that questionnaire and any other medical records that the company may wish to obtain, satisfactory completion of any further medical examinations that may be required by the company, and a determination by the company that I am qualified to safely perform the job sought without a significant risk of future injury. I further understand that even though this review process may take several weeks, any offer of employment remains conditional until the company’s personnel officer has approved it."

But what if they spring it on my during the interview?

then, they have to tell you before they actually make you do it.

You always have the right to refuse.

then, they have to tell you before they actually make you do it.

You always have the right to refuse.

Wrong, an employer can drug test at random if they wanted to with no more notification than saying "ok, lets go test". Many places do random testing. In the application though they might have to disclose the fact that they do random testing. They won't pick on a certain individual but can select a group at random to test. Once hired, ask a person you can trust about the policies.

Most companies only test once at pre-employment and that's it. But you really can't ask the interviewer, it would seem too obvious.

The only part of that that raises a red flag to me is "satisfactory completion of any further medical examinations that may be required by the company". That could be seen as including drug tests, no? I can't say I'm up on the latest drug testing laws, but it seems like they could squeeze one in under that pretense and get away with it.

The best way to find out is contact your state's labor laws department. You won't have to identify yourself and they will answer all your questions.

Thanks all.

Wrong, an employer can drug test at random if they wanted to with no more notification than saying "ok, lets go test". Many places do random testing..

yeah- random testing. They're still telling you they're testing you..

they can't make you pee in a cup and not tell you they're testing for drugs.

that's what I'm saying.

You guys have been tons of help. Though I don't think Im going to apply for this job anymore. It has a lot more to do than just smoking marijuana. Mainly, I decided I didn't want to work with my mother all summer, because I would more than likely end up the office assitant which would mean working with her a lot. I love my mom and all but for me, work is place for business, not family. Which my mom would more that definently make it.

I am also going to give up smoking for a while on top of that. I've started to go over my priorities since the idea of quitting came up, and well, its way to high on the list right now and as long as its on the list, it'll always get back to the top with the state of mind Im in right now.

right on man. good luck finding something else... u quitting cigs or MJ?

MJ. I'm sure I'll smoke here are there, but to put it this way, Im not going to have a budget for it anymore.

i think you have made the right decision. working with your mom might not be a good idea. quitting smoking is another great idea. when you know for a fact that you have a clean system, your possibilities for jobs open up. check out craigslist for your area. employers are using it, but a lot of people don't know to look there. good luck

Back
Top Bottom