Looking For Advice DIY 10x10 Grow Room Setup`Hydroponics

SmokyMcPot247

hey new to the site here big fan though, I see a lot of great work on here congratulations! So far what i have set up is a 10 x 10 room. i will be adding additional framing and visqueen to partition the area into a roughly 70/30 split. 70% flower 30% veg. and propagation. Now for lighting im leaning towards fluorescent for propagation section only for energy reasons and to slow growth already have a total of six mothers currently don't want them to overgrow there space, i should note only have large quantity of mothers now because of the season and i intent to do clones for outdoor as well currently mothers are under 6oow mh and will be for the following 2 months.
as for the flowering section roughly 7'x11' i am going to be using 2 600 w open air hps w/ gull wing reflectors using ratcheting hangers to raise and lower. For ventilation i have 2 6" 4oo cfm active air blowers from hydrofarm and carbon scrubber witch i intend to mount on ceiling of flower room between fixtures. Now all this from what I have read seems like a decent setup. Where im at is setting up a diy hydroponic system for flower. Im thinking ebb and flow w/ a gravity drain setup using 25 gallon reservoir for every set of 4 5 gallon buckets, i have 3/4 pvc and hose for irrigation w/ a 4oo gph pump for each reservoir will also be ordering high capacity air pump and stones for reservoirs. pretty much just looking for some feedback and advice maybe a little constructive criticism on design ideas say pump rating lighting also looking for some input on pump timing for ebb for specific growing medium net pot size suggestions, would LST be beneficial in this, also in the future i would like to expand onto my propagation section to include a hydroponic set up to veg clones for additional time before entering them into flowering so def looking for suggestions there, first batch of clones is under way now so looking to finish flowering section is first priority. Anyone want to help a noob. Thanks:love::volcano-smiley:

i am also open too changing to a diff system assuming its not too expensive to switch but i already have all the previously mentioned materials and i am interested primarily in systems i can build my self w/ the materialsi have i also like the fact ebb roots are not constantly submerged so if there is power failure will not be as drastic thanks again

Yeah it's easier to tackle specific problems or questions that come up. Luckily (or not)...you'll find there usually isn't a shortage of those either. We can help.:thumb:

k good points... ebb and flow vs DWC Pros and cons? Witch would you choose? Keep in mind no back up power... maybe time frames with no power for each that would kill plants. are 5 gallon buckets larger then what i should be using am i wasting space... def dont want to waste valuable light... if i veg for say 2 months crop tops and incorporate a LST technique would i have higher yields over growing smaller plants in more containers.... How can i best utilize my space help me decide what i should set up for. also for either method u suggest also include what u would suggest for grow medium w/ said method. Thanks again

Well alienpus i have to say awesome work w/ your dwc grow journal. I'm very gracious to have someone w/ you're expertise willing to help someone like myself and i would like to thank you for taking your time to help me and I look forward to hearing your suggestions. I was excited to read in your journal you have experience working with dwc cloning as well i was intending on asking about a basic diy dwc cloner! It just sounds like it would be a very simple system to set up and maintain. I'm sorry my questions have been so vague its only because i am completely new to hydroponics and honestly am open to all suggestion, I in no way have my mind set on what system I should use. You think you can help me figure this out?

Just finished reading your grow journal alienpus my interenet was acting up last night only made to page 8 awesome work man... Wishing you a speedy recovery brother!

k good points... ebb and flow vs DWC Pros and cons? Witch would you choose? Keep in mind no back up power... maybe time frames with no power for each that would kill plants. are 5 gallon buckets larger then what i should be using am i wasting space... def dont want to waste valuable light... if i veg for say 2 months crop tops and incorporate a LST technique would i have higher yields over growing smaller plants in more containers.... How can i best utilize my space help me decide what i should set up for. also for either method u suggest also include what u would suggest for grow medium w/ said method. Thanks again

Thanks for the compliments, many good journals here.

I prefer a reservoir based fully drainable recirculating dWC like mine, it uses less medium, is basically root rot proof and redundant, easy to maintain and puts out massive growth. I really like my flood tables and large reservoir, you can vary plant spacing and Ebb, NFT or DWC all with the same setup and can use different mediums.

Power failures are not usually a problem except for odor, even if the root zone were to drain back into the reservoir as long as the lights are out they'll last 24h easy.

My perspective on how many plants and technique is if you properly fill in a given space with either 5, or 10 plants you will yield pretty much the same, more plants fills the space faster. Veg time will be proportional to size of light used, bigger light mean less veg time. Ideally you want to start flowering the next batch the day after you harvest, so you try setup your veg to achieve this, be it pruning, or a screen, LST ect. hands on experience is the key. You can start with pruning and some LST you can't go wrong.

Look through journals to see the results of different veg techniques and size of lights and look at the dates it will give you good idea of what to expect.

today i went to lowes and purchased some totes 5 to be specific the totes are 40" x 20" 7" I have them framed into a table that will hold reservoir underneath. The totes hold aproximately 16 gallons filled, about how far up should i allow them to fill before they start to drain this way i can measure how many gallons that will roughly be, also for reservoir size what percentage should i have in reservoir over the amount the flood tables, so say each flood table is 15 gallons do i need a 30 gal reservoir or would say 22.5 gal be adequate witch would be 150% of the table Thanks for the help everyone

reservoirs are expensive as I am sure everyone here knows any one here have any experience building there own maybe frame it out with 2x4 and ply wood and using a pond liner or similar product?

The water level in the totes should be around 1" below the bottom of the basket once roots are well established in the solution, helps to prevent root rot and I believe more oxygen too. Before that to the bottom of the cube for RW or at root level for other mediums.

The bigger the reservoir the more stable and easy to manage your PH and PPM will be, and the longer they can go without maintenance. What goes well when you adjust your solution is when you can drain the root zone back into the reservoir, so a reservoir that holds twice the root zone (totes) and kept half full is my preferred setup, so if there are 40 gal in the tables, there would be 40 gal in an 80 gal for a total of 80 gal.

reservoirs are expensive as I am sure everyone here knows any one here have any experience building there own maybe frame it out with 2x4 and ply wood and using a pond liner or similar product?

a 75 gal is 100$ and a 100 gal is 150$ it's well worth the investment as a 50 or so gallon leak can be pretty bad

alienpus all the reading I have done and i never picked up on rdwc sounds like a great setup that can be pretty much used universally, with some minor tweaks and adjustments. Sounds great any suggestions for reservoir and plumbing? Totes are 40x20x7 positioned side by side 15" off the ground I can raise it if needed just trying to keep everything as low as possible so i have as much vertical grow space as possible

a 75 gal is 100$ and a 100 gal is 150$ it's well worth the investment as a 50 or so gallon leak can be pretty bad

where? these prices sound to good to be true i would much rather do it right the first time. I've been looking on amazon they were out of my price range. Help where do i look?

The water level in the totes should be around 1" below the bottom of the basket once roots are well established in the solution, helps to prevent root rot and I believe more oxygen too. Before that to the bottom of the cube for RW or at root level for other mediums.

The bigger the reservoir the more stable and easy to manage your PH and PPM will be, and the longer they can go without maintenance. What goes well when you adjust your solution is when you can drain the root zone back into the reservoir, so a reservoir that holds twice the root zone (totes) and kept half full is my preferred setup, so if there are 40 gal in the tables, there would be 40 gal in an 80 gal for a total of 80 gal.

Ok i can do this i have 2 55 gal heavy duty plastic tool boxes and i guess another 30 gallon tote for the remaining one should i run separate pumps for each reservoir or should i run them in a circuit. pump recomendations? currently have 400 gph is that sufficient for the job have 3/4 pvc drain suggestions, size and location, should i adgust frame so one side sits maybe an inch to ensure full drainage?

What size net baskets should i be using and grow medium. Ill get them ordered as soon as u respond!
Thanks for all your help alien your the man for taking your time to help me!

75 gallons just in the tables is quite a bit for 2 600w lights. If your tables are setup so that with DWC they cant drain back through the pump in case of power failure and use an adjustable overflow type drain keeping water in the tables you don't need a very big res, enough to keep the water circulating and to fill and drain one table at a time so 25 gal, but for safety sake, more options and less maintenance time with that much water a 100 gal res with just enough gals to keep system circulating in it would be great.

FWIW, to put it in perspective, with four 1000w lights my tables hold 40 gals each @ 1" below baskets and I have an 80 gal res kept half full for a total of 120 gal solution and I can drain one table back into the res at a time.

Phone hydro shops in driving distance for reservoirs, ask if they have used ones. Reservoirs | 1000Bulbs.com

Net pot sizes and grow medium preference? I will order tonight or as soon as your respond alien! Thanks allso still very interested in those reservoir prices! :thanks:

75 gallons is if they were completely full if i was to guesstimate the act water level id say around 50 gallons would be around the height i would want on the table, tomorrow I'll call around and see what i can find if i can match those prices ill do it right if not sounds like running 2 50 gal reservoirs in circuit would be easiest to maintain for me what size pump should i have, is a single 400 gph sufficient for water flow or could i split the work between multiple pumps to save from buying another one if its gph rating isn't enough?

Back
Top Bottom