Looking for input on a strain

CoCoMo

420 Member
I ordered Candy Cane seeds from CKS. I'm harvesting the first of four, and this is NOT Candy Cane. I thought I was overwhelmed from trimming since 8am, but this smell confused me so much, I went to the search engine and typed, "my weed smells like Pine Sol." It took me to "Purple Star Dawg." I know so little about it, except for its own description, which I'll post here. Let me know your thoughts on it.

I think this is the only weed you can grow indoors and have your mother-in-law applaud you for your cleaning ethic!!

Strain Name:
TopDawg’s Purple StarDawg
Grade: A- High quality weed
Type: Purple Afghani X StarDawg (Indica/Sativa mix)
Looks: Purple buds w/ rust color hairs
Smell: Pinsol/floor cleaner/chemical
Taste: Not pleasant, tastes Like it smells (well flushed)
Effects: Hits hard on the body, spacey in the head
Potency: Strong and lasting
Reviewed by: SSHZ
Good Strain For: Sleep, appetite, relaxing, pain and spasms

Did it act like an Auto or did you have to switch light schedule to get it to Flower? It was a year or so ago but a lot of folks ended up with Sour Jack (or what they deduced anyway) instead of Candy Cane at Crop King. Odds of it being a Strain they don't even sell is slim to none IMHO, I haven't popped ones I got yet as have too many to choose from for the next time I pop seeds. My Haze Extreme I harvested of theirs has kind of a piney taste, but doesn't smell that strong and more of a light smell like a Cheese, though there may be a lot of phenotypes of their stuff depending on how stable their strains are too.

Hey Dwight,
I do think CKS is selling this as "Sour Jack," based on what I've researched so far. It acted like an Auto, and I switched off to 12/12 after a 5 weeks in 24/7. There are the other two plants I'll be harvesting this next weekend, and I think their smell masked the ones I'm trimming now. I posted earlier how different my plants were, thinking maybe it was some kind of characteristic anomaly of the Candy Cane strain, but yesterday this placed reeked hard both inside and outside my front door. I couldn't open the window, either - yuck. Well, if nothing else, water curing will hopefully take all that smell away.
I'm kinda disappointed here. All my Afghani seeds went "balls up" and now this. I think I'll go back to buying from my regular seeds store.

You may find that the smell will change after a longer cure...the Malawi Gold I ran last season smelled quite bad!...like cat piss,...very unappealing... However...after a few months in a jar, it transformed into a wonderful robust "Dank" smell. a and although the taste wasn't horrible originally, it was greatly improved after a long cure...cheerz...h00k...:rollit:

Definitely gonna work with it, because hubby loves the 'couch-lock' - but I prefer the more creative, sativa high (I write for a living). So, I'll water cure it, then dry cure it with a nicer smelling bud Maybe it'll act like Tofu and absorb some good ole blueberry. :)

Lots of pheno's out there for each strain. Some rare some happen regularly. I have a sweet smelling plant from a bunch of cheese seeds. All the others are dank like you expect a cheese to be. This one has a sweet fruity smell. The sweetness came from the skunk genetics in cheese is my guess. Lots of strains will have a odd pheno here and there. AK-47's Cherry pheno is another one known to show up.

Hahaha...the mere mentioning of tofu induces a gag reflex for me...:cough:...:rofl:...good luck and welcome to :420:...cheerz...h00k...:rollit:
I'm with you on that, Doc - I don't mind if Tilapia absorbs flavor, but there's something very odd about people who enjoy eating a block of something used to grout my bathroom tiles. Yuck!:)

Lots of pheno's out there for each strain. Some rare some happen regularly. I have a sweet smelling plant from a bunch of cheese seeds. All the others are dank like you expect a cheese to be. This one has a sweet fruity smell. The sweetness came from the skunk genetics in cheese is my guess. Lots of strains will have a odd pheno here and there. AK-47's Cherry pheno is another one known to show up.

Funny you should say this, because my other three girls have distinct fruity smells, and one is more of a grape smell than the other two, which is clearly bubblegum-like.
I also signed up for the Trichome Institute course, and I'm really excited about it! Imagine being able to not only detect a strain, but determine its effect, applying the same (but different) scientific method that has since legitimized wine, cheese, etc. We're talking about moving to Alaska this year, but I plan on spending a few weeks in Colorado to take a few more classes.

What's really funny. There are so many smells and flavors and THC contents out there. But plant growth and bud types are far less. I have had 5 strains make the same knobby headed looking buds. All with different tastes, smells, and highs.

Check out some of the conversations on YouTube, by the head of the Trichome Institute. I just got his kit and manuals in the mail, and I'll be studying it this weekend.
I'm glad the cannabis conversation is moving away from the pop culture references that most of us either grew up with, or created (I know you're out there somewhere). I remember fondly the weed/hash of my generation, but by the 70's (yeah, I'm up there lol), the strains of my youth, like "Wacky Weed," "Columbia Gold," "Afghani Hash," (homer drool), etc., were well into their 2nd and 3rd generation of modification. I can't wait to get connected to a real landrace group where I can work towards getting the purer strains again.
Anyway, here's the link to their YouTube page, in case you haven't seen it. Let me know what you all think.

Back
Top Bottom