Looking For Solutions To My First Grow Problems

kingkola1

This is my first grow and hope I can get some help from the community experts... 100% of the seeds germinated fine and then they were planted in Light Warrior Seed Starter. They sprouted just fine. I had a 1000 W Metal Halide light about 16” from the plants dimmed to 75% to produce between 30K to 40K Lux at the top leaves (that is what I read as optimum for veg). I feed them once per week with Emerald Harvest nutes at 50% the recommended dose, plus full dosage of Cal-Mag with a pH of 6.0 to 6.2. I watered during the week as required to keep the soil about 50% moist using RO water and full strength Cal-Mag. The once per week feedings and any waterings during the week are all done drain-to-waste. I had a vertical standing oscillating fan blowing on them so the plants were dancing pretty strong. I also have a steam humidifier and an exhaust fan that pulls in fresh air from in the house and exhausts to outside the house through the light. Temps are around 75F and Humidity around 50% rh at the leaves. Once I move them into 5 gallon pots (in about a week), I plan to use 1/3 pearlite, 1/3 Ocean Potting Soil, and 1/3 coco as the grow medium, sort of a hydrosoil. As of now, 15 days from seed, the plants are 2.5” to 5.5” tall with a tip to tip leaf spread of up to 8.5”. Lighting is 18/6 during veg and moving to 12/12 at bloom.

My first problems from a week ago were thought to be combination of wind burn, too much light, and over-watering (some small amounts of algae formed on surface of the grow medium). So, I moved the light up from 16” to 24” to the tops of the leaves, replaced the fan with a little 6” fan on low (plants are barely flickering in movement), and reduced my watering to let the soil get closer to 25% moisture by weight and looked for new leaf growth.

From looking at the new leaf growth, I still seem to have a few problems I am hoping to get resolved.
1) Wavy leaves
2) Splotchy light-green to yellowish streaks in the leaves of Purple Kush
3) Curled up leaf edges in some areas of some leaves.
4) Since their last feeding, one of the plants has leaves that are turning a lighter green gradually from the mid-section of the leaf and becoming lighter as you look toward the stem (difficult to photgraph).

The Splotchy light-green patches are on two Purple Kush Auto’s. The pictured Purple Kush actually fell over in the grow medium (not sure how it happened) and have it splinted up straight and seems to be still growing.

After studying the well-known color pH/Nutrient chart from 420magazine.com that shows pH for hydroponics and soil side-by-side, makes me think my seedling pH should have been closer to 6.5 than my actual 6.0 to 6.2 since the seed starter grow medium used seems to be closer to soil, true? Could my low pH have locked out my nutrients? I think that 6.0 to 6.2 pH is still correct for my 5 gallon pot grow medium, true?

When should I adjust my light to get 40,000 lux on the veg plants (right now it is at about 20,000 to 25,000 lux for seedlings 15 days from planting)?

Also, one other newbie mistake is that I have my Purple Kush Auto’s growing along-side my photoperiod plants. My thought is just to let it go with the photo period lighting schedule and see what I get.

Any help or suggestions on how to correct these problems are greatly appreciated.

Pic_of_Seedling_with_wrinkled_leave.jpg
pic_of_PK1_with_discolored_leaves.jpg
Pic_of_leaves_with_partial_turned_up_edges.jpg
Pic_of_leaves_with_partial_turned_up_edges-1.JPG

Moderators: I am new to this site and had a rough time putting my first post up. If I did not post it to the correct location, please provide instructions on how to move it where it belongs.

Hi kingkola1,

Do you know what your rh gets to when the lights are out? That rippling and curling happened to me and I'm sure it was the night rh, I literally deformed one for life. Yours don't look nearly as badly as mine did.

I may be totally wrong here so hopefully one of the gurus will chime in...

BobG

The algae growth will stop if you let the top of the soil dry completely up like you should be anyways. Really not that big of a deal just don't keep the soil wet on top. As far as the way they look it looks to me like primarily a heavy watering issue along with some humidity. All in all they look to be in pretty good shape really and I don't think you have anything major to worry about. If what you are saying there is the worst thing that happens you will have a very successful grow. I really can't see the yellowing in the pictures on my phone but I will try to look again.

Sent from my android from outer space!

Re: Looking For Solutions To "My First Grow" Problems

I think I would ease up on the calmag a bit. Too much of it and you will block out other things that you need. A plant that size should honestly not need water that often even though coco is in the mix.
No one that I have ever seen uses a measure of Lux for the light of their plants. That is an absolute horrible plan. The size of plans that you have there can use plenty of light. The better thing to do would be to slowly bring the light down and measure the canopy temperature with an infrared thermometer to keep the leaves at 82 degrees or cooler.

Yes, I have a temp humidity meter that that measures max/min's. Max rh has been up to 60%. The swings have a range over night of around 10%.

I got the Lux meter idea from another site. It made sense to me since the amount of light using inches above the leaves will vary as the light degrades over a few grows. This is a variable that can be measured and adjusted so the light level is what you want where the light is needed. I will incorporate your leaf temperature idea too as I have an IR temperature meter that points a light at the leaf and gives you a temp reading. Maybe I am over analyzing; hard to believe for a newbie :) Thanks for the help!

Thanks! That is encouraging about the grow. I will back of on the watering... The yellowish blotches are on the second picture with the tie wrap hanging off the side. Thanks!

I read somewhere that 15,000 - 50,000 lux - good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth, and 45,000 - 70,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage. When I thought about that, and the fact that Metal Halide bulbs age, what better way to determine the correct about of light other than measuring it. A fixed distance might be perfect for one grow and then not so good on the next grow. Now, I could be over thinking it but it makes sense to a newbie like me to measure all the variables you can for good control of the grow.

Sometimes the rh gets in the low 30's though...

I read somewhere that 15,000 - 50,000 lux - good amount of light for healthy vegetative growth, and 45,000 - 70,000 lux - optimal amount of light for cannabis plants in the flowering (budding) stage. When I thought about that, and the fact that Metal Halide bulbs age, what better way to determine the correct about of light other than measuring it. A fixed distance might be perfect for one grow and then not so good on the next grow. Now, I could be over thinking it but it makes sense to a newbie like me to measure all the variables you can for good control of the grow.
The way all of the pros go about it is watts pulled from the wall. Not a led's advertised wattage but the actual power draw it uses.
For hps, mh and Led 45-50 actual watts per square foot of the grow area. 40 watts per foot is on the lower end and 50 is optimal.
So in a 3x3 grow area take your 9 square feet times 50w and you know 450 actual watts is about optimal.
The only exception to 50wpsf that I know are the very high end COB leds that do fine at 35-40 wpsf.
Lux and lumens are not a good route to go. Par, ppfd and umoles are good routes but few of us have those expensive meters to test it.

Oh, but I am using a Metal Halide bulb for veg and then a high pressure sodium bulb for flowering. Lux meters don't work on LED's which could be why pro's with the newer LED's use watts per square foot. Does that make any sense?

Good information on LED measurements for when I move up in the world :)

Oh, but I am using a Metal Halide bulb for veg and then a high pressure sodium bulb for flowering. Lux meters don't work on LED's which could be why pro's with the newer LED's use watts per square foot. Does that make any sense?

Good information on LED measurements for when I move up in the world :)
That 50 watts per square foot is the standard for MH, (Metal Halide) HPS and LED. Although for veg with a MH lamp 30 watts per square foot will be fine just because in the veg cycle plants are not as light demanding as they are in flower.
The fact that a lux meter dont work with led has nothing to do with why its not used. Its not used because its a worthless way to measure. Humans see lux and lumens. Plants see PAR. Photosynthetic active radiation. Plants could care less if theres 200,000 lux. If that 200,000 lux only provides 400 PAR then you wont flower cannabis with it.

Thanks for that information (I am learning every day). Next question is what to I need to buy that doesn't cost a lot to measure the wattage out of my 1000 watt MH light?

A 1000w mh light will draw right about 1000w. With a hps or mh you dont need to measure the wattage sinse advertised will be right inline with true watts. Typical 1000w hps in flower is good for a 5x5 room. A 1000w mh will be a little more than a 5x5 just because plants dont need quite as much light for a good veg.
1000w mh and hps setup is perfect for a 5x5 area

Back
Top Bottom