Louisiana: Medical Marijuana Mill Named After Alison Neustrom

Jacob Redmond

Medical marijuana is getting closer to reality in Louisiana. If Governor Bobby Jindal gives it the green light, and signs the legislation, there's already a name for the new law. It will be named after Lafayette Parish Sheriff Mike Neustrom, and his wife Ceci's daughter Alison Neustrom.

Alison, who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in 2013, was an advocate for medical marijuana. She addressed the legislature about it last year, but it didn't have enough support to move forward. She died a few months later in September.

Lawmakers have stated that Alison's brave fight, and advocacy, played a big role in moving the medical marijuana legislation forward.

Her sisters, and family hope that Alison's legacy will bring help and comfort to many for years to come.

"That's the life that she lived, helping the under-privileged, the under-served, and the people that really needed things, and didn't have resources to get them," Alison's older sister Kim Neustrom said.

"She wanted to contribute to their physical well-being and give them option," Alison's younger sister Emily Neustrom said.

Alison's spirit of advocacy helped bring medical marijuana to the forefront of louisiana lawmakers. She addressed the legislature in the spring of 2014, encouraging lawmakers to support the legislation.

"To advocate for something that's currently not legal is a sticky thing to do, and I think she was really thoughtful about why it was important," Alison's younger sister Vanessa Neustrom said.

The legislation will be allow people with cancer, glaucoma, and severe cerebral palsy to get a prescription for marijuana to treat their pain and condition.

The bill is now awaiting Governor Bobby Jindal's signature, and will be named after Alison once it becomes a law.

"She never sought acknowledgement, and she lived her life, in so many ways for other people, and never sought the spotlight, and so, to me, i think it's just a really lovely thing," Vanessa Neustrom said.

"To me, it's very symbolic that her door closed. She's not here to see this come to fruition, but the window has opened for many people in the state to benefit from her efforts," Kim Neustrom said.

14773.jpg

News Moderator: Jacob Redmond 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette - Medical Marijuana bill named after Alison Neustrom
Author: Web Staff
Contact: KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette - Contact KATC
Photo Credit: KATC News
Website: KATC.com | Continuous News Coverage | Acadiana-Lafayette - Home

Back
Top Bottom