Low and slow drying?

really interested in this method!! I do have a fridge handy in the garage, how does the fridge handle the smell? we do keep beverages and random foods occasionally in it.
In my case, the fridge smelled a bit, but not bad. The low temp stops terpenes from smelling strong. What I love about this method is the lack of odor and the wonderful aroma of the finished product.

Yeah, I'm in. Just hope I don't mess it up. First harvest here!
I know. I worried about everything when I began growing. It took me a few grows to get consistent and I still run into issues. trust me, you can’t hurt them by drying in the fridge. I’ve done this both ways, and this method works for me because it gives consistent results, ready to smoke in 2 or 3 weeks. It depends on the amount of moisture in the buds. I check them daily, and when they get to a certain stage, cutthe buds an put in bags. 7 days average in each stage. End stage is the drying and burping in jars.

I know. I worried about everything when I began growing. It took me a few grows to get consistent and I still run into issues. trust me, you can’t hurt them by drying in the fridge. I’ve done this both ways, and this method works for me because it gives consistent results, ready to smoke in 2 or 3 weeks. It depends on the amount of moisture in the buds. I check them daily, and when they get to a certain stage, cutthe buds an put in bags. 7 days average in each stage. End stage is the drying and burping in jars.
Just wondering, when you have put your buds in jars, do you still keep them in the fridge?

Just wondering, when you have put your buds in jars, do you still keep them in the fridge?
No. The main reason I don't is, I want to be comfortable with the relative humidity according to the hygrometer.
I don't store my weed in Mason jars. If I did, I would feel comfortable putting those in the fridge without hesitation. But I store in stainless steel vaults with Boveda paks. Because they are not opened often, they keep the buds fresh and at the perfect humidity (62 percent).

No. The main reason I don't is, I want to be comfortable with the relative humidity according to the hygrometer.
I don't store my weed in Mason jars. If I did, I would feel comfortable putting those in the fridge without hesitation. But I store in stainless steel vaults with Boveda paks. Because they are not opened often, they keep the buds fresh and at the perfect humidity (62 percent).
Just harvested my first successful plant. Just finished washing them and they are hanging up to dry. You stated you first put your harvest in a bucket in the fridge for your first step. I'm working with a mini fridge. Can I just lay them in there, since I don't have room for a bucket?

Just harvested my first successful plant. Just finished washing them and they are hanging up to dry. You stated you first put your harvest in a bucket in the fridge for your first step. I'm working with a mini fridge. Can I just lay them in there, since I don't have room for a bucket?
Of course! I just did the bucket because it kept the buds from having a smushed side. You can even take the buds off the branch and lay the buds flat In a tray. Just whatever you have around.

Heck, one time I even accidentally froze my just harvested buds. Put them in a stacked bud dryer on the back porch and the temp got to zero outside. I thought I had ruined them, but took them inside and hung them in a closet. They did great and dried perfectly with no bad results.

Heck, one time I even accidentally froze my just harvested buds. Put them in a stacked bud dryer on the back porch and the temp got to zero outside. I thought I had ruined them, but took them inside and hung them in a closet. They did great and dried perfectly with no bad results.
Thanks. I know I'm sweating it. Just don't want to f up. They are in the frig. Wish me luck!

So, they have been in the fridge for almost a week. What exactly should they be looking like? Just look like cold, soft buds to me. I guess that's why its called low and slow?
After a week I take buds off branches and put them inside paper bags, giving them lots of room. I put them back in the fridge for another week.by this time they should be dry enough to jar.

So, they have been in the fridge for almost a week. What exactly should they be looking like? Just look like cold, soft buds to me. I guess that's why its called low and slow?

Hey, have you seen the Low & Slow thread? Read post #337. It has a great synopsis of the low & slow process.

Hey, have you seen the Low & Slow thread? Read post #337. It has a great synopsis of the low & slow process.

Thanks. I have read this and I'm trying to follow it as close as I can. Actually have a test jar in the closet for an hour to get a feel for where I'm at with humidity. They do look good though!!

Thanks. I have read this and I'm trying to follow it as close as I can. Actually have a test jar in the closet for an hour to get a feel for where I'm at with humidity. They do look good though!!
Ok Test jar, after 1 hour, was at 79% humidity. I'm assuming that is what I wanted to see after 8 days in the fridge??

According the the L&S thread: “If not between 64% and 72% RH. replace screen and return to crisper.“

According the the L&S thread: “If not between 64% and 72% RH. replace screen and return to crisper.“
Yes. I was expecting it to be a little high. That's telling me that I haven't over dried. It's only been in fridge for 8 days. Seems like most people are saying it takes 2 weeks so I think I'm on course for a slow dry!

This is how I dry my bud. First after trim, I place the stems right side up in a 5 gal bucket and let them sit in a frost free refrigerator for 10 days. Then I take the buds off and put in a paper bag, roll closed, and put back in fridge for another 10 days. Then I put them in storage with a hygrometer. I check every day and if the humidity is over 65%, then I leave the container open for a few hours. Otherwise, I check it and put a boveda Pak for 62%. once it reaches 62% on the hygrometer, then it is ready to smoke. On edit: I forgot to say this method helps retain the colors, the taste and the potency of the bud. The last photos show what it looks like after.
The first two are of the last harvest, which didn’t produce as well because it was so cold in the basement.

Kick down lol

@LowcountrySC Yup, looks like you’re doing it right. I’ve done it and it seems like it dries more/faster during the second week, so keep an eye on it.

Back
Top Bottom