Low RH and the Claw?

Ripples

This time of year the furnace is running and the air is much dry in the entire house... Having said that I have a hard time keeping my RH above 30% (I'm in veg) even with a humidifier inside the tent! Filling it twice a day just to keep things at 30%... Temps running 77-79 constantly... Plants are doing "ok" not great, I see some signs of (the claw) could that be the low RH? For the most part they are doing fine but I have seen them better with higher RH... Any suggestions on how to raise the RH without getting another humidifier? Might be my next move? A big humidifier for the entire grow room in addition to the ones inside the tents?
4923.jpeg
4922.jpeg
4921.jpeg
4920.jpeg

I'm in the boat just about Ripples.. I have my humidifier outside my tent pretty close to the intake, I have my exhaust fan running stupid low, like 20% speed. I can get up to 40% rh but that's when I'm home and I can spray the walls of the tent with water. But if I don't do anything it drops to 30% Sorry I don't have any long term solutions, and I do have a post very similar to yours so between both of our posts hopefully we can get someone that is having or has had this issue to provide a better solution..

bubble a bucket of water in the tent... that will raise the humidity fast.

the slight clawing and the slightly burned tips say slight over nute problems... but I don't see a big problem here.

What it looks like to me is watering too often. The plants are droopy because the lower roots have partially shut down and the plant can't achieve full transpiration. Let the very bottom of the container dry out, and I believe that the plants will get happy again, reaching up to the light.

bubble a bucket of water in the tent... that will raise the humidity fast.

the slight clawing and the slightly burned tips say slight over nute problems... but I don't see a big problem here.

What it looks like to me is watering too often. The plants are droopy because the lower roots have partially shut down and the plant can't achieve full transpiration. Let the very bottom of the container dry out, and I believe that the plants will get happy again, reaching up to the light.

Agree with the nutes... I believe the lack of humidity is forcing the plants to take up more water which means more nutes? I have been having a problem with over watering as well with these new fabric pots! I normally use 5 gallon buckets which drain much better and easier... These fabric pots seem to hold water at the bottom and remain there for longer than i am use too! letting them dry till I see signs of lacking... Felt I overwatered last time and this just supports that feeling... I like the bubbler idea, will definitely try that... Thanks, check out my Journal below and let me know what you think?

With the fabric pots just feel the underside with your fingers. That will tell you the story. I am considering finding some kind of mesh or riser that will let air through to the bottom side of my fabric pots

I plan on doing the same with mine as I do with my hard plastic containers now... large river rocks in my drip trays, raising the container out of the water and off of the cold floor. The air gap under my containers has got to be isolating them from not just the cold under the house, and also from having to suck back in the nasty run off water that I don't always faithfully suck up with my turkey baster.

It seems we are all thinking the same thing! I just told my wife (she is a chef) to get me some baking trays she uses, they are like a grill grate but have 1" legs they sit on... They are even round and come in many sizes! Already put the bubbler in use and waiting to see if it works. May need a bigger pump, was from our fish tank, he just shit the bed 2 weeks ago... I told the wife to throw out the tank and she refused, turned out she was right i would need it for something!!! Keep ya posted... ShiggityFlip, you are very busy on this site... See your name everywhere... Nice to see you helping so much...

I plan on doing the same with mine as I do with my hard plastic containers now... large river rocks in my drip trays, raising the container out of the water and off of the cold floor. The air gap under my containers has got to be isolating them from not just the cold under the house, and also from having to suck back in the nasty run off water that I don't always faithfully suck up with my turkey baster.

Yes exactly. It will simplify the flush times greatly and ensure runoff stays runoff. With my fabric pots it will also give so much more oxygen to the root zone. This is my first grow with fabric but I absolutely adore them. I would love to get some plastic corrugated shed roof and cut circles out to fit in the saucer with a little section missing so I can vacuum out the flush water or nute runoff.

I had similar humidity issues, I grabbed a evaporative humidifier from a big home improvement store that has a built in humidistat and digital controls. At around $100 it was not exactly low buck, but it easily keeps up with maintaining my desired humidity in a 400cf room with lots of air exchange.

I went with the evaporative type because they are pretty simple and not prone to failure and don't use all that much power.

Inside a tent even a modest humidifier should do the trick, are you perhaps moving the humidity out as fast as it is created?

If so, you could set the exhaust fan at a lower speed, allowing the humidity to rise.

DRM: Ya I dropped the fan speed as low as it will go but still 30%... Winter here and furnace is going strong so the air is very very dry... Heading to store in the morning to get a bigger pump for the bubble idea... If that doesn't work then i'll be getting a big humidifier for the entire grow room in addition to the ones inside the tent... I believe this has been a problem for me this grow and the end of my last grow! Still early enough in veg that if I solve this issue things will be just fine...

Back
Top Bottom