Low Stress Training, Doing it right?

jlt1202

Hey im posting some pictures of my plants that i have been working on and trying out the LST that i have seen, most of the pictures i have seen were from plants that used LST in early veg stage. Well i thought i would try it on a couple month old plant and see how well she does when she re-corrects. Honestly, i dont know if i just screwed the pooch on this one or not so let me know what you think and if im on the right track, or mabe some pointers/tips.

Thanks,

zzz3.JPG

(((((This is what they started like^^)))))

111125.JPG

1111113.JPG

11783.JPG

New_Image8.JPG

111124.JPG

Ummmm, usually the point of LST is to make the plant have even tops by bending over the main branches and keeping the plant shorter in height.

You are bending all your lowest side branches down and just leaving the main stalk untouched.

What are you trying to accomplish by doing LST exactly?

Well you really need to train the leading apical (main) stem to control height & then train the side branches to help form an even canopy for an enhanced yield !

Ideally the main apical stem requires training at an early stage of life for better development, ya be able to get away with some bending but be gentle.

I'll try to find some pic's of past grows which included LST.

Start at a early age to promote side brancing from nodes.

005654.JPG

Once side/lateral branches have developed apply further training.

004763.JPG

This will help even the canopy out.

003817.JPG
001860.JPG

Some end results of LST plants... :thumb:

004817.JPG
003954.JPG
004899.JPG
003959.JPG
0021042.JPG
003982.JPG

In the last few pic's, i've used staking of main cola bearing branches to support bud mass.

Ummmm, usually the point of LST is to make the plant have even tops by bending over the main branches and keeping the plant shorter in height.

You are bending all your lowest side branches down and just leaving the main stalk untouched.

What are you trying to accomplish by doing LST exactly?

I under stand that is how it is done in the earlyer stages but i just got this plant in the stage it was in.

i topped the plant so that it would stop growing at the top point and then supplemented the sides with lighting to promote their growth to the top to match the main stock.

This is basicly a late LST but so far have had good success, the end nodes of each branch i pulled down are hooking back towards the lighting. Its going to increase my veg time, but im looking at moving my 5 gal to a 19gal bucket soon.

Goal is to create a canopy, only have 2 plants atm and want to create some big (healthy) plants for good yeild.

That is not how cannabis plants work though JLT.

Put simply, the tallest branch will get by far the most energy from the plant.

If you justbend over the main stalk so that it is now lower in height then another side branch, then that side branch will take over in the plants eyes as the main cola and will get a huge boost to growth, and then the former main stalk that you bent way over will drastically slow in growing.

The way you have your plant now, if anything it will put MORE effort into the main middle stalk, because you have lowered all the side branches.

What you want to do is manipulate the plant into putting more effort into the side branches and lessening its efforts towards the middle main stalk. The way to do that is to bend it over and make it lower then a side branch.

That is not how cannabis plants work though JLT.

Put simply, the tallest branch will get by far the most energy from the plant.

If you justbend over the main stalk so that it is now lower in height then another side branch, then that side branch will take over in the plants eyes as the main cola and will get a huge boost to growth, and then the former main stalk that you bent way over will drastically slow in growing.

The way you have your plant now, if anything it will put MORE effort into the main middle stalk, because you have lowered all the side branches.

What you want to do is manipulate the plant into putting more effort into the side branches and lessening its efforts towards the middle main stalk. The way to do that is to bend it over and make it lower then a side branch.

IMG_037816.JPG

so i think that doing it wrong made it better in the long run because it had never been trained from the beginning. But what you said is great info, makes alot of sense and i took it into account and relased many of the lower branched and focused on the top, reason i think it helped that i was doing it wrong because it opened up the center so that the lower branches could get light penetrated to the center of the plant. Once i bent the plant on the main cola it whent bannanas haha. all is well now and plants are begining to look like a palm tree : )

IMG_036915.JPG

Well you really need to train the leading apical (main) stem to control height & then train the side branches to help form an even canopy for an enhanced yield !

Ideally the main apical stem requires training at an early stage of life for better development, ya be able to get away with some bending but be gentle.

Hey i notice some people trimming there plants BEFORE they chop it down such as yours, what are the benifits/down falls to doing it as you have in conjunction to trimming after harvest???

Hey i notice some people trimming there plants BEFORE they chop it down such as yours, what are the benifits/down falls to doing it as you have in conjunction to trimming after harvest???

I trimmed before drying as i find it easyer to remove the excess leaf from the cola's, also its less to dry & provides a mildly quicker drying time before curing process happens.

Also helps to remove a large majority of stem to speed up process...

Speeding drying is trimming all the nugs off leaving no leaf or stem & layering in a net/fine mesh rack or on old newspaper etc & allowing to dry much,much quicker before curing... some may say end taste is mildly effected, but i've not tryed this method yet !

I prefer a slow air dry of around 14 days of temps about 20c to 22c before curing :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom