Low Stress Training Questions

NACnCO

I'm trying to understand low stress training so I can really use it as a tool to up my yield. I found a webpage with a style of low stress training that intrigues me. Give me your assessment of this info please. Let me know if I'm on the right track or off in a ditch. Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

low-stress-training1.jpg

low-stress-training-marijuana-growing-indoors.jpg

STEP 1: Grow your plant from a potent marijuana seeds strain of choice to 3 or 4 leaf sets, some use 5 but i always use 3 because after 3rd leaf set the main stem starts to harden and it will be harder to bend over your plant properly without breaking the main stem.

STEP 2: Using a metal hook (i cut small sections of cloths hanger and bend a U shape at the end as a hook) bend over your plant with metal hook at the last internode (space between the last set of fanleafs and the next to last) and stick the metal hook into your dirt to hold down the stem.

STEP 3: This is really not a step, just waiting time... Take note of how the top of the plant that was bent down will bend back upwards towards the light, this could take anywhere from 3 hours to 1 day. Under my 1000 Watt Metal Halide light it does it in under 3 hours.

STEP 4: Veg and dont tie down until you have a new leaf set. You will notice Side branching has started already because good light is getting to the main stem areas next to each fanleaf stem intersection with the main stem.

STEP 5: Depending on your starting pot size you may have to transplant. If you started out with a large pot, repeat step 2 over and over again holding the main stem down with hooks until you reach the end of the pot. In this illustration to save time and drawings, i started out with a small pot and it reached the end of the pot after the first tiedown. I repotted it into a 10 inch pot which will be my final pot size for this plant in order for me to continue the LST Bends around the inside edge of the pot.

STEP 6: Now that your new leaf set has formed you have enough length in growth since the first bend(s) to allow you to start bending the stem horizontally around the inside edge of the pot. Use metal hooks again to keep this bend in place. Side branches should be coming along very nicely. Sativa cannabis seeds strains grow faster and produce more stems, indica marijuana seeds varieties will grow half as much.

STEP 7: Continue repeating steps 4 and 6, allowing the plant to grow and then keep tieing it down along the inside edge of pot using metal hooks (or whatever your using) Side branches should be forming and growing up towards the light.

STEP 8: Continue to repeat step 7 until you are all the way around the pot... when you reach the point where your plant first met the edge of the plant Top the plant (cut off the very top of the plant) and hold it down horizontally with a metal hook... During all this time of repeating step 7 you should also be tieing down horizontally the new branches that have formed from the main stem as much as possible until you use up as much space as possible inside the pot as well , the outter branches growing over the outside edge of the pot you can hold down as well with string to keep those tops even with the inner branches.

STEP 9: After you have used up all possible space inside the pot (or your eggcrate) its time to just let it flower.. This is a side view of how it will and should look by that time with all the side branches growing upwards towards the light... these will all become Collas unlike a non LST plant will only have one colla.

During flowering and even before due to lack of light on the main stem fan leafs which is all the way to the bottom almost against the soil those fanleafs will die off anyways, i usually cut these off the main stem right after the branch has grown out in that area, keeps things neat down below where you will need good airflow during flowering.. so go ahead and take off any fanleafs coming off the main stem that is going around the inside edge of the pot.

Set your timer to 12/12 and watch it bloom. There is no Step 10 in the picture but we all know what that is HARVEST!!!

Sativa indica hybrids or sativa marijuana seeds strains are suitable for LST as they grow fast and low stress training helps to control their height. Choose a potent, high yielding cannabis seeds variety for LST!

I would appreciate any input you might have. Thanks.

I've been doing some LST on a couple of my plants.

Made the mistake of letting main stem get to thick and it snapped. Plant is still going strong though.(Tora Bora)

My holy grail kush didn't take to well to it at first but has responded great recently. this maybe due to the stress of other stuff and not just LST as I also repotted and topped within a couple days.

But i can confirm i am now getting multiple tops on them so fingers crossed.

its one of the best ways to make an indoor plant or outdoor grow. I'am doing a scrog and thats extreme lsting do just what you read and you will be happy.just take it slow:peace:

Great post Nac! I am doing my first grow now and have been LST'ing all 3 of my plants using the cut up coat hanger method, but didn't think to do it nearly this orderly. I just kind of kept tying branches off in different directions as the plant got taller. I have a nice bushy looking plant but this circle method makes much more sense. I'm going to try this on a 4th seedling that I just recently transplanted and let you know how it comes out. Here are a couple pics of one of my plants that I LST'd which is just starting 12/12 this week.

IMG_12307.jpg
IMG_123710.jpg
IMG_12699.jpg

A cut up coat hanger is a great idea. I've played with LST a little bit. I've been using regular tie wire. It's more complicated.

its one of the best ways to make an indoor plant or outdoor grow. I'am doing a scrog and thats extreme lsting do just what you read and you will be happy.just take it slow:peace:

Hi Fish! How s things.. Thought id get ur opinion on what i am thinking of doing( if u can understand it!).. Firstly im using a 35 litre rectangular 'Trough' they called it, one end i have my girl - with holes drilled at diff points along the trough, im thinking of securing her main stem, then LST ing her across her pot so the bottom levels get more light as opposed to my last vert grow, where sum lower levels recieved less light and werent as big. Once she over grows her pot-80cm across, im planning on letting her grow vert for the rest of her Veg.. What are ur thoughts on this?:Namaste:

Okay, I would like a educated guess. All things being equal, what increase in yield can I expect by LSTing a plant? Anyone hazard to guess? I have a follow gardener new to it like me who is freaked out about LST.

Hey Nac, Well firstly LST can be a great way to grow ur smoke.. There a few different styles that are used as you will find. The picture you referred to is just one method ppl use to train their plant around its pot. LST means' Low Stress Training' so its to try minimise any stressing factors to the plant. Look into SCROG or SOG ing, they are also good ways to maximise a yield. Ive had a single plant basically trained to grow diagonally reaching 5ft, she yielded 8 oz of nice tops, in soil, and some popcorn bud. Some ppl who LST keep their plants small and they may grow 5 plants and only yield 6-7 oz dry! So if you have space you can create a big producing plant given right conditions..If you need to keep em relatively short then a LST method is worth trying, see what method suits you. Goodluk and Happy Harvesting;)

I normally grow indicas & if left untrained will grow in a christmas tree fashion like a cone, these being close & tight canopys with poor light penertration to the lower branchs, meaning less developed buds.

With LST these branchs can be bent/trained gently as to improve light penertratrion into the canopy to the lower bud sites etc there for giving a greater over all yield.

Lollipopping prunning works quite well also, this is the act of removing lower pop corn bud sites & small weak branchs etc hence more of good stuff/nutrients is more aviable for main flowering/stems/buds.

Scrog grows can be pretty interesting for yield also, always wonder what a 6' sativa monster plant would look like trained into a scrog screen :thumb:

I think LST is the way to go for training, there virtually is no "days of recovery" with LST and within hours sometimes the plants will respond...

I've found there isn't really a right way or wrong way to LST, the photo's you first posted show a good idea on how to start training your plant, once they get larger you will have to just decide on your own where to place the branches for the best "LST" effect and best light penetration. What I mean by LST effect is, your goal is to take the tops of the stems from a vertical position, to a horizontal position..this makes the lower nodes, branches, shoot up towards the light and try to become the main stems. Each time you take a main top and bend it over, the lowers will form again, and you can keep doing this as long as you have room.

With my plants, I use binder clips and some 1/4" packing rope/twine but have even used sewing thread in the past...lol I would suggest using a material that is sturdy but somewhat soft and non abrasive, because you don't want to cause unwanted infections by the plant becoming damage with harsher materials..

Some tips I've learned.

I've found the best times to LST are after watering because the stems are less brittle and more flexible..

Be creative and "pre plan" all of your tie downs...you want to maximize your grow area so you want to train your plant accordingly. If one area is getting too bunched up, start tying down the branches in opposite directions..you really can't go wrong where you tie them..

You don't need to tighten the branch down with force, as long as the main tip of the branch goes horizontal, then the hormones will displace and force the LST effect..

I highly recommend LST and Scrog training for a very even canopy, lots of tops, and a large yield. :)

Great post ice, wonder if u could look at my grow and see what u think of my lst.

Something just occurred to me. There are lots of things a gardener can tie his/her branches down with. Is there any material that's harmful to the plant and shouldn't be used to stick in the soil?

sound good smoke, once she gets across you should have a lot of new growth going streight up all will be colas:) just like the diagram
Hi Fish! How s things.. Thought id get ur opinion on what i am thinking of doing( if u can understand it!).. Firstly im using a 35 litre rectangular 'Trough' they called it, one end i have my girl - with holes drilled at diff points along the trough, im thinking of securing her main stem, then LST ing her across her pot so the bottom levels get more light as opposed to my last vert grow, where sum lower levels recieved less light and werent as big. Once she over grows her pot-80cm across, im planning on letting her grow vert for the rest of her Veg.. What are ur thoughts on this?:Namaste:

I would say dont use any galvanised metal or copper, a fella on here named James the Green came up with a neat Idea by taking a small diameter piece of plastic pipe and making a hoop with it ,the training the plant to that or you can use a tomato cage. just something to think about and out of respect the pipe list should be named the JGT lst:goodluck:
Something just occurred to me. There are lots of things a gardener can tie his/her branches down with. Is there any material that's harmful to the plant and shouldn't be used to stick in the soil?

hey bro,
I my self have doing lst. i started around three nodes. i should throw in it is a outdoor grow. every few days i just moved the string and pulled it down. it has just entered the flowering stage and so strong. I should have a great yield i will try to share some pics

Yeah... I attempted a basic LST, and she did this to me!!! Self made SCROG - No screen:)
2012-08-07_15_08_01.jpg

LOL..Didnt quite mean her to go this off! But im happy..

Im not sure where to start! I've never grown before. I took seeds from different stuff i'd smoked, just commercial, and started. I have 4 now that are about four feet. I started cutting leaves to smoke because I'm a full time student and grandma not working. The leaves are starting to come back but no buds yet. I don't see anything to distinguish sex. I also gave them some mollasses in with their water and two days later mold started to form on dirt! I got rid of the top dirt. Ive been growing these for four months in big 5 gallon bucket taking it outside most days for 10 hours of sun. Also I started giving it rain water instead of tap! These are my "precious"! It looks like I might not get them to bud. What have I done wrong? And is there a way to save this project now? HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Peace,
Highkitty

HI HIghkitty, after you bring them in from the sun do you put them under a light? If so for how long?
If you do then try and limit the hours of light. 12/12 of light and dark should start to show sex.
are they indica or sativa? indica has wide leaves and will finish faster, sativa has thin leaves and grow much longer.
If it has the skinny leaves try and give them more dark time, like 10hours of light and 14hours of total darkness. TOTAL DARKNESS NO LIGHT AT ALL NONE! they should begain to flower after a week. I hope this helps:welcome:

Fish cake pretty much nailed it.

If you are putting them outside all day, then bringing them in and under more light at night, then they are still vegging.

you need to put them into 12 hours daylight then 12 hrs total darkness to get them to start flowering.

Back
Top Bottom