Lowest tolerable temps?

sillysally

I am in the beginning stages of my first grow which is taking place in my basement. While my HPS lights are on I'm around 70-80 degrees, but if my lights are off the temps plummet down to the 50's.
My lights have been on 24 hours and my seeds just broke the surface and I would like to switch my lights to 18/6. Are the temps in the 50's going to be harmful for them or is that ok?
I'd like to avoid using a space heater if possible(trying to keep costs down), but I can if I absolutely have to.
Thanks!

Temps below 16c / 60f may stunt/slow growth...

An oil filled radiator with thermostat built in could help some models even come with a timer also,, i'd be inclined to run this during lights off set at base temp around 18/20c or 65/70f. (lower wattage than some space heaters)

On a side note checking RH might be a good idea... ya don't want bud rot !

If you get one, may as well get two. One will fail. I have two small space heaters keeping things warm during lights out, set to 65°. One is temp controlled the other has an adjustable dial, set to low. I tried one and it was working to hard/much. Peace of mind also comes from redundancy, for me anyway. Small investment. Good luck.

I setup an oil filled radiant heater with a reflector (foiled insulation material) on the outside to direct the heat inwards towards the plants.
In a tin shed outside with temps in the 40's last night. My high/low thermometer reported a low of 68.
The oil filled radiant ones are much more gentle. Nice even temp air thru the grow area. I have a 2 stage model (hi/low) and am only using the low setting with the thermostat almost at the lowest setting.

Thanx, Tead. Gonna look into one of them. I hate space heaters to tell you the truth, but thought it was what I had to choose from in the short term.

65F is the lowest you want to go, 66F-68F is ideal with a day time temp gap of at least 10F. Humidity should always be under 65% to avoid mold and bugs. Veg humidity = 55%-60% ideally, flower humidity = 30%-40% ideally

currently, my room falls to 55 degrees on lights out. i have a constant flow intake, which comes from outside. so, in the winter, i put on a lil heater, and that helps. they dont seem to be bothered, as i have them sitting on 2"x 4'x8', styrofoam mats. they are cheap. in any building supply. keeps their lil footsys (roots) warm. i also keep my water buckets on this material. my plants dont seem to suffer. and, many give me that good ol purple color, in the winter. my strawberry blue, that i have in a jar now, got near pure purple. the lowest i have ran, and had no problems, was low of 50. with lights on at 66. i personally feel, that 68 is perfect for growing. and ten lower at night. but, this is just the streins i have been running. near all indicas. like godbud. aurora indica. thc bomb. jack herer. nl. and many others. we will see how my ice likes it. im sure there are many kinds, that would show stress, comming this low in temp. keep their feet warm. thats the key.

Ended up purchasing an oil filed radiant heater today with a gift card. Been going since noon and it's steady constant heat, glad I made the switch already. I'll sleep a little better. Reps to you Tead!!

I'm doing the same actually, good call. I deff like this way better, more consistent with no heat spikes!! Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom