LST For Beginners

So you FIMed a FIM ?
Prolly stunt the main stalk and it will have funny growth for a while.

FIM the FIM lmao. would you still get the 2 tops you'd get if it was just a top?

Thank you.

what happens if you mess up a FIM?
depends how messed up !!
if you missed the smallest new node in the clump you fimmed then you will still get probably get 1 main with two hacked sides that will still griw but need to recover.
If you cut below the smallest then your next lower paired nodes will become the tops. hope that makes sense ?. ironic that we can get " fuck it i missed " wrong really but it is common. best of all dont panic !

depends how messed up !!
if you missed the smallest new node in the clump you fimmed then you will still get probably get 1 main with two hacked sides that will still griw but need to recover.
If you cut below the smallest then your next lower paired nodes will become the tops. hope that makes sense ?. ironic that we can get " fuck it i missed " wrong really but it is common. best of all dont panic !

Thanks a lot! I did my first FIM 2 days ago so i'm just wondering what to expect in either case. I"m hoping for 4 new branches would be nice : )

Thanks a lot! I did my first FIM 2 days ago so i'm just wondering what to expect in either case. I"m hoping for 4 new branches would be nice : )
it can be a lucky dip with the fimming but for me it tends to make 3 heads that can compete with each other a bit too much of not done in early veg. i might have done it wrong maybe but seems to be a constant result so i find mainlining and bendind , lst ect.. has better control and results. all will be good just takes time to reset its genetic planned shaping.

Wait a minute wait a minute. LST for beginners and second post is quad-lining lol.
I’ll try to show a net LST but I use both high and low stress techniques at different points.
I start from seed, last several grows I topped, I may not the next grow but the advantage is that I am able to cut it back to second node or so and get 4 strong stalks to spread under net.
These pics are from start, recovered after topping and then trained down with stakes to get the bushiness. Also throughout this time I am supercropping a lot.

Then into final pot and under net. When grows through net they are LST down to encourage more branching.

Then there is the lollipop.

Then the stretch.

Wow, Great Show and Tell. I am so glad you took the time to document your grow like you have. Your pics are a perfect example for noobies to learn from, including myself. Bravo :goodjob:

excellent way to demonstrate it mate. do love scrogs but for me this crop , have too many diff heights to deal with plus the fact ( like a kid in a sweety shop) i have mixed strains and genetics going on too. supercropping is my only option and maybe a few tomato cages. Should kbiw better but barneys farm gifted me a load of seeds with hazes and i couldnt resist popping variety out. some 9 weeks f amd others 11 weeks so have stiffed myself when comes to flowering nute changes and flush.do love this hobby/life choice .lol

I love the gardeners life too :)

Haven’t figured out how to get my foot long colas and stay with the net.

Perhaps a stiffer net and more solid frame! Don't get me wrong loving your setup and the way you hung your frame. I will be building my frame in the next few days and I want to make it as taught as I can. Taught like a Tiger haha

once the vertical growth starts from under the net , the buds stacks tend to grow upwards to.. The strain , the lights , the temp and environment not to mention medium and nute program , all play a part in production and yield. when we start the Lst and everything else on top , it can be a guessing game until about week 5 of flower. see so many new growers worrying about their buds because the weight and size dont really start accelerating till this week i.m.o.
Add all these factors up and it can be a lucky dip instead of the stats written on seed sites.
I have learnt so much over the years that has shocked me , suprised , relieved and saved me from scrapping the the whole idea of growing ,numerous times. lol
prefer fat chunky buds to long airy ones myself so i try to avoid light being too far away and keep them bushier

I think I will be keeping my lights (viparspectra 900) closer on the next grow. Help reduce stretch.

it is great to see results folliwing all the training and efforts going in . folliwing a pythos disaster in nft , i had to grow out a mother plant of super iced grapefruit in a 20 gal soil pot. i scrogged her to nearly half my room ( my 1st attempt at it!) . i didnt know you stopped tucking and carried on separating bud sites to their own scrog hole. it looked nothing like the footlongs or donkey dick colas i had seen over and over , so i assumed i had blown it as the buds all looked fairly small compared .purely by inexperienced good luck , she gave me over 10 oz of an amazing smoke even though i had spaced her out to 1mx1m . her finished buds were rock solid dried too. pure luck and because she was mainlined for a mother plant only so bushy.
doing great there by the way

Still Great weight :)

And bring on a tent full o buds. LST, supercropping, lollipopping, even quad lining kinda.

Bring it on and share the progress

depends how messed up !!

I am a little nervous to even start trying FIM. I haven't even topped a plant before. Yes for Myself its a scary thought, but I know it will have to be done very soon. If I want to increase my Yields.

I am a little nervous to even start trying FIM. I haven't even topped a plant before. Yes for Myself its a scary thought, but I know it will have to be done very soon. If I want to increase my Yields.
i assure you Teddy they respond so well to it. you are totally changing its genetic growth pattern , which is designed for growing among other plants and competing for every last morsel of light. Thankfully for the plant ( and us) , we come along and take them into their own personal space where they dont have to fight as much or search for nutes etc... Using topping we allow the plant to concentrate more on spreading out and using the abundant resource we provide for them. each time you top the two nodes below will surge up due to the plant now not feeding a single top. you will be doing a very beneficial task that she cant achieve without help. fimming at the right point can be an art form and on occasion can also make it hard to manage the tops created if too close to each other on the stem. I prefer topping now as this is simple and very affective. look at a few vids or photo diaries for best way to go. enjoy the experience and journey. There is a lot of support around so please dont be afraid to hit the forums. good luck fella

I normally fim all my plants, don't worry about hurting the plant. If you don't do a good fim what you end up with is a topped plant. Like what was mentioned earlier make sure they have time to recover before you continue training.

I normally fim all my plants, don't worry about hurting the plant. If you don't do a good fim what you end up with is a topped plant. Like what was mentioned earlier make sure they have time to recover before you continue training.

do you do all the branches?

i assure you Teddy they respond so well to it. you are totally changing its genetic growth pattern , which is designed for growing among other plants and competing for every last morsel of light. Thankfully for the plant ( and us) , we come along and take them into their own personal space where they dont have to fight as much or search for nutes etc... Using topping we allow the plant to concentrate more on spreading out and using the abundant resource we provide for them. each time you top the two nodes below will surge up due to the plant now not feeding a single top. you will be doing a very beneficial task that she cant achieve without help. fimming at the right point can be an art form and on occasion can also make it hard to manage the tops created if too close to each other on the stem. I prefer topping now as this is simple and very affective. look at a few vids or photo diaries for best way to go. enjoy the experience and journey. There is a lot of support around so please dont be afraid to hit the forums. good luck fella

is it ok to top and then fim the new tops?

I just fim the top on the main trunk, I don't top the smaller branches.

well, i might have went a little crazy with it lol. i guess i'll see what happens :D

Hey All, I'm starting this thread in hope we can really help out us noobs with using the LST Technique. People forget some of us needs pictures ;) including myself. Yes most of the time we just want a quick answer because time is an issue or we just can't be stressed with all the reading. Lucky for you I don't mind either.

Yes, Pro's us lamen love you guys, but remember we don't have degrees in Botany so we need that little extra help. So please use this thread to teach us using simple language and yes Pictures.

After loads of searching the easiest way I can explain LST is in the Diagram Below. Feel free to add tips and links. Let this Journey be educational and Fun. God Bless us all with Great Growing and Harvest of Plenty.

20181127_160147.jpg

Hopefully this simple Diagram is Self Explanatory. Love to all

I used this method as well, worked great! Excellent guide! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom