LST technique Looking for advice

Ronson

Hey guys, new to the forum. I just finished my first garden, I did not top or fim but I did pinch two of them as experiments. It was worth it, but wasn't that great.

I've been researching into LST as well as topping. I am going to do topping to one plant (pinching later on, and a screen.), and LST on the others. I'm really excited to try this out, just want some tips from someone experienced with it.

For instance, different tying methods that work well and anything else that will be useful to know.

Thanks, :morenutes:

drill screws all the way around your pot, then tie pieces of string to the branches and pull them out away from the plant and secure them to the screws.
2012-02-05_18-19-53_1541.jpg
theres a buddy of mines LST.

that plant has been topped, but you can still see how the branches were pulled away from the plant so the whole branch/arm can get light. it'll take about 6-12 inches off your total height.

:welcome:

The best way is to start tying the plant down when it's very young. Tie it so it lays down horizontal. As it grows, train it to lay sideways, circling around the diameter of the pot so all the small shoots turn into main branches. I know, not the best explanation. I just read a post the other day that showed pics, but for the life of me I cannot find it right now.

I've been experimenting with this plant. Topped it a few times, then did the defoliation thing...finally ended up tying it down for my small grow space.

This is a primitive style of lst. With everything I've done to this plant, it's more like high stress training at this point! Anyway, this gives you an idea of a tie down method that was mentioned earlier in this thread, using screws.

420_594.jpg

420_596.jpg

420_597.jpg

It's amazing how much tension is put on the string!

Good luck to you!

Dude. I just laughed when I saw those bolts in the side of your bucket. Reminded me of Frankenstien. Just drill some holes in the edge and run some floral wire. Seems to me the bolt would leech into your soil and give you a bad metal taste IMO. Peace.

Dude. I just laughed when I saw those bolts in the side of your bucket. Reminded me of Frankenstien. Just drill some holes in the edge and run some floral wire. Seems to me the bolt would leech into your soil and give you a bad metal taste IMO. Peace.

Yeah it looks funny. Screws are above the soil.

The problem with drilling holes in the pot is leverage. It brings the string in too close with that little one gallon pot. The branches tie down easier with the support strings further out.

I like the Jute Twine better than wire.

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom