Lumens Vs Color Temp?

I though the soft white bulbs are the ones that provide more of the better light for vegging and the Bright white for Flower? Im using CFLs and noticed that my plants liked the soft white bulbs better. they grew towards the soft white bulbs more. I use a mix of both so i can get the full spectrum.

I though the soft white bulbs are the ones that provide more of the better light for vegging and the Bright white for Flower? Im using CFLs and noticed that my plants liked the soft white bulbs better. they grew towards the soft white bulbs more. I use a mix of both so i can get the full spectrum.

I also am running a DWC with CFLs 2x 2700k & 2x 6500k. Both very bright and true in color. I've notice with the CFLs that I have are less in lumens but shines bright. Comparing them to 5500k with 1600 lumens the 6500k with 1450 lumens, the 6500k promote alot more growth

I am not sure what you mean by "A List" in reference to ballast. I have not seen a magnetic ballast that does not hum. I do know that the ballasts that I have assembled and are not in a box are much quieter then my sunfarm switchables (runs both metal and hps). I would love for you to clarify what types of ballasts your getting that do not hum, perhaps some specific brand/models.

I am not sure what you mean by "A List" in reference to ballast. I have not seen a magnetic ballast that does not hum. I do know that the ballasts that I have assembled and are not in a box are much quieter then my sunfarm switchables (runs both metal and hps). I would love for you to clarify what types of ballasts your getting that do not hum, perhaps some specific brand/models.

A list ballast are the ones that make little to no noise at all. Pretty much any commercial or Professional-grade magnetic ballast.

Lumens :
Lumen (Im) is the unit of luminous flux, which is the measure of the total power emitted by the source. This is a standard way of measuring the brightness of a light. To give you an idea, a 100 watt light bulb is approximately 1700 lumens and a 40 watt bulb is about 500 lumens.

Colour Temperature (Kelvin)
Colour temperature is a characteristic of visible light that has important applications in lighting. The colour temperature of a light source is the temperature of an ideal black-body radiator that radiates light of comparable hue to that light source. The temperature is conventionally stated in units of absolute temperature, kelvin (K). Higher colour temperatures (5,000 K or more) are called cool colors (blueish white); lower colour temperatures (2,700–3,000 K) are called warm colors (yellowish white through red).

Temperature --Source

1,700 K --Match flame

1,850 K --Candle flame

2,700–3,300 K --Incandescent light bulb

3,350 K --Studio "CP" light

3,400 K --Studio lamps, photofloods, etc.

4,100 K --Moonlight, xenon arc lamp

5,000 K --Horizon daylight

5,500–6,000 K --Typical daylight, electronic flash

6,500 K --Daylight, overcast

9,300 K --CRT screen

Wixhigh, Pinder and Hosebomber,

Really interesting but complex thread.

I am about to purchase a few pieces of hardware and would really like your expert opinions on them.

The first piece of hardware is the Phillips Son-T 600 watt HPS - to be used in flowering stage.

Does this HPS tick the boxes or can you recommend something more suitable?

- one thing i noticed is that Phillips say that the bulb is not dimable on the spec sheet, where as the Ballast I intend to use has dimable features. Problem? The place where i intend to buy them sells these as a package.

It also has a CRI of 25 but i have copied in the spec sheets and website.

MASTER SON-T PIA Plus 600W/220 E40 1SL - Philips

Can you recommend a better HPS for vegetative growth than the Phillips mentioned above as i intend to possible use the HPS for Veg and Flower?

Lumatek 600w Digital Ballast - What are your thoughts on this Ballast? Anything better out there?

Finally, my other option was to simply use HPS for Flower and incorporate a T5 for cloning and Veg. Would you recommend the floresence below for only egatation?

wixhigh mentioned -

"The Vita-Lite Supreme offers 5500K, a CRI of 96 at 2000 lumens; Also, in all fairness, I'd like to mention three other manufacturers of full-spectrum fluorescents. They are Philips with the Colortone 50, General Electric with their Chromaline 50 and Verilux with lamps of the same name"

I really appreciate your insight

Thanks

Ok, so for the T5 I have got the following links.

General Electric Lighting. T5 high Output Watt-miser

Product code: 62024 (6500K) CRI (84)

Cheers

Honestly the output of bulbs differ very little from others of the same color rating. There are a few HPS bulbs (expensive ones) that will give a slightly better spectral distribution and a few extra lumens over a cheap $30-40 bulb. The main thing is to have the correct spectrum for the correct phase of growth. Daylight 6500K during veg, warm 2700K for flower and if you have a multiple tube setup, a 3 to 1 mix ratio containing a little red in veg or a little blue in flower.

according to the information attached, plants DO use green light and perhaps more than the other colours, however this is deeper within the cells of the leaf.
I used to use MH & HPS systems years ago but with advancements in LED technology, I'm seeing many benefits over what I call 'old school' lighting. Presently, I'm using 3 x Lighthouse Hydro ION 8 1546w FSF LED Grow Light with UVB. These lights are kick ass, and although they are ridiculously expensive, I wont use anything else again.

Back
Top Bottom