Lunar Gardening Community Journal: Improve Your Crops Using Simple Tricks

Allright, so I chopped the big girl today and got some nice little colas.

1592147007403.png

Plant management could've been better, but they did very very well. I got growth under the canopy shadow, so I left that on the plant and will chop up on the 23 to see how big can they get in 10 days.

1592147217912.png

This is what I left on the plant.

1592147273757.png

My water curing jar
1592147293343.png

And the 3 colas for air drying. I'm going to make cbd oil now using the leftover trim. I don't have a scale, but I run small lights so my buds will be petite as well.

hey hey - i should be getting my seedsman order any day now, and i plan to plant some autos for the full moon. my next one is july 5, so i was gonna germinate on the third. are you planning to drop anything around this time too?

Yes, I have 2 auto lemon kix for the next 2 months. I plan to drop one a month so my (little) space doesn't get cramped.
The adjustment I will do this time is to drop the seed on the full moon day, since dropping it 2 days prior doesn't do much, but the full moon week the seeds pop in less than 24h (personal experience).

I hope we see the other members step up as well and share their experiences here :laughtwo:

Quick update! Tent is looking good but I'm abusing the extra space with some cooking herbs I'm germinating.

1592497162238.png

This gal is looking superb. Still skinny, but I can't wait for her to fatten up.

1592497206285.png

The popcorn I left on the plant is getting some nice frosting (for being popcorn) but no fattening. Trychomes aren't getting cloudier, just as milky as the plant before harvesting, so I'm guessing I could've gone the extra week. This is another advantage of planting one plant @ month, because I can correct mistakes I made on the other plants.

1592497691407.png

This gal is just chilling by herself. Adding fortified soil to the light mix seems to help a lot.

1592497565404.png

Finally, there's this girl I messed up badly. The only "good" is that the V shape is in the middle of the tent and getting lots of light. We'll see how this one grows.

I also made a batch of magic nutella and it was a major hit. I traded a friend some nugs for nutella and he loved it. I don't enjoy nutella (funny how my country is the #1 hazelnut producer but most of it goes export) but the bud increased the nutty flavor.

Hello everyone! A couple updates to see if anyone else will tag along this cycle :thumb:

This lady is getting chopped on friday. I cut the sister @ 10 weeks and the bud matured nicely under water, but I think a little more time would've been best. I could leave it an extra week, but I need the space for the new seedling that's gonna pop in there.

1593486041466.png

Leaves turned purple with the cold and buds have a nice frosting. Better plant management would've yielded more premium bud, but this will surely exceed my expectations. As you can see on the next photo, the last auto mazar (crippled one) got thick and bushy on the parts that survived and the auto lemon kix is praying like it's ramadan.
1593486296586.png

My cooking herbs are coming along nicely. I can't wait to have fresh oregano for my meals. Last but not least, my water cured bud. I know it looks like someone left it in the sun too long, but the smoke is so soft and free of impurities I couldn't believe it.

1593486622085.png

Water curing is a novel idea. It sounds as though you are getting something satisfying from it - how interesting!
I won’t press you for more info right now because my donkey brain is too full atm, but I will continue to catch up as I can.
BTW..
This means the trychomes on these buds will go CBD mostly
.. just to clarify for your readers. I’m sure you meant CBN, I would have thought CBN anyway. I may be wrong, but just in case you were autocorrected and didn’t notice.
Cheers.

Thanks for the correction man. As for water curing I put the "premium" bud in there, cover with filtered water (my tap water is 800ppm, so I have to buy filtered water that comes at 20ppm) and let it sink. I won't go into specifics, but water curing is like suspended animation for the plant, and once the buds sink right to the bottom of the container it's ready to dry.
Based on the calendar it should be ready around saturday.

How's everyone doing? Today was trimming time

1595104345507.png

1595104373042.png

My second attemp at topping is doing great, asi I lost no branches this time (but almost snapped one). Big one is auto mazar, the other two are auto lemon kix. I also have oregano and other cooking herbs in the tent.
Hope to see more people jump here

So the best time to plant cannabis seeds? Right before the full moon or right before the new moon?

Best time to harvest?

Have you heard of moon wood? lol

"
‘Moon’ timber refers to wood harvested during the waning moon when the sap in the trees are at its lowest. The wood is then left to dry vertically, upside-down with, its bark and a few branches left intact. Gravity will pull what remains of the sap into the branches, which are then cut off. This process produces a superior quality wood that has no cracking, splitting, or warping, as well as no infestation of insects and longer durability. This process involves no use of toxins or kiln drying, thereby creating a lower carbon footprint. This is an ancient technique that has provided the same wood that created the 1,000 years old temples that still stands to this day in countries such as Japan.

Popular with Guitar and Violin Makers
I was skeptical of this, but in fact, a quick search showed that moon wood is a thing among guitar and violin makers, who are convinced it makes a better wood. One guitar maker site notes that it is all about gravity, the moon pulling on the sap.
Some furniture builders insist on cutting wood during the growing moon to ensure that the moisture content is high since the sap is being drawn up into the trunk of the tree, which makes wood easier to steam and bend. Wood for making instruments, however, must be dry. If trees are felled during the waning phases of the lunar cycle, when the pull from the moon is not so strong, then the fluids will remain closer to the base of the plant, making the wood drier and less susceptible to decay and infestation.

Science or Sham?
moon.jpg

Granite State
The trouble with this theory is that the phase of the moon has nothing to do with how strong its gravity is; that is a function of its elliptical path, and a full moon can occur when it is at perigee (close to the earth) and its apogee (far away). If gravity had anything to do with it, then guitar makers would cut wood during the apogee, not the waning phase.

However, according to one Swiss supplier, the question of moon wood has been studied and proven:

The goal of this study, encompassing various regions throughout Switzerland, was to determine scientifically whether variations in wood characteristics could be determined in connection with lunar cycles. Criteria such as moisture loss, shrinkage, and relative weight (the ratio of oven dry weight to green volume) were specifically analyzed by using individual samples.
It was determined that the division waxing (from new moon to full moon) and waning (from full moon to new moon) points to significant, across-the-board differences in shrinkage, but final results are still outstanding. The data analysis permits two precise, systematic, lunar orientated divisions that apply much more precisely to all three criteria.

Again, I say really? The skeptic in me wants to call hogwash (stronger word removed at editor's insistance) on the whole idea of moon wood. But then I recall Melissa’s posts on how Trees in the forest are social beings and how Trees can form bonds like an old couple and look after each other. Who knows, perhaps they stay up late and party during the full moon (keeping the sap levels high, like our blood pressure) and nap during the waning moon.

It’s an explanation that makes a whole lot more sense than the ones from the guitar makers and moon wood suppliers."

So the best time to plant cannabis seeds? Right before the full moon or right before the new moon?

Best time to harvest?

Have you heard of moon wood? lol

"

Popular with Guitar and Violin Makers

Science or Sham?

moon.jpg

Granite State
The trouble with this theory is that the phase of the moon has nothing to do with how strong its gravity is; that is a function of its elliptical path, and a full moon can occur when it is at perigee (close to the earth) and its apogee (far away). If gravity had anything to do with it, then guitar makers would cut wood during the apogee, not the waning phase.

However, according to one Swiss supplier, the question of moon wood has been studied and proven:

Again, I say really? The skeptic in me wants to call hogwash (stronger word removed at editor's insistance) on the whole idea of moon wood. But then I recall Melissa’s posts on how Trees in the forest are social beings and how Trees can form bonds like an old couple and look after each other. Who knows, perhaps they stay up late and party during the full moon (keeping the sap levels high, like our blood pressure) and nap during the waning moon.

It’s an explanation that makes a whole lot more sense than the ones from the guitar makers and moon wood suppliers."
Interesting post, CF :thanks:
Lots to think about. Not just for plant physiology, but for the timbre of stringed instruments. Cheers for a bridge between the known and the new; tradition/inherited wisdom vs science. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom