Lux meter

How long should I soak my seed in water? How should the lighting be? Why do we germinate? Would the plants grow slower or be smaller if we just put the seed in the soil or medium?

i guess i just don't get it,, how did this get from here to there??

:hmmmm:

(In a hurry, as it's long past my bedtime, so I'm not quoting text excerpts.)

I've read mixed reviews on Strawberry Fields; people either seem to love it or hate it, and it might not be the best product for a new grower.

Run your lights on an 18:6 light:dark schedule. Or up to 20:4. The latter seems to be the "sweet spot" in terms of yield for people who've tried to do direct comparisons with all other factors being as nearly identical as possible. There's a little more to it than just "how many hours," things like DLI and how much light-energy a plant can process at any one time. But with your light and the area of your grow space, you'll be fine anywhere within that range.

Transplanting is fine, within reason (be as careful as you would with any plant). Tearing half the root system off is bad for any plant. If you wait until an autoflowering plant is rootbound, you might have hastened the transition to flower. Most folks would probably see that as a bad thing, lol. If your space is severely limited and/or you have lots of plants growing in that space, well... <SHRUGS>

If you feel that your light is producing too much heat (it's most likely not, instead it's probably producing the usual 3.412141633 BTU per watt), remember that its wattage is adjustable. The newer TS-1000s have a handy knob, if I remember correctly; the older ones have an adjustment screw with a little rubber plug covering it on the driver (power supply). For a seedling, there's no need to run that LED panel at full output (a 23-watt 6,500K CFL placed an inch or so above the plant, in a horizontal orientation, would be sufficient for the first week or so). I'd have to go look at mine to know (and am not going to at this late hour), but it might have enough length in the wires for you to remove the driver and place it outside of the tent. That would remove a relatively significant source of heat from the grow space.

It looks like you've got an oscillating fan at the top of your tent, pointing downwards. If so, and you're worried about your light, reposition it to the floor, pointing upwards. That's probably what I'd do, regardless. I assume your exhaust fan is moving air out at the top of your tent, and your passive intake vent(s) is/are at the bottom.

Good luck on your grow!

Humidity at seedling stage should be about 70% and temp between 77-81.
If you're doing an autoflower I'd do 20 hours of light 4 hours dark.
If you're doing a Living Organic Soil then you need at least a 15 gallon fabric pot even for an autoflower.
If you're doing a super soil then probably at least a 7 gallon fabric pot so you got room to fill the bottom 3rd of the pot with super soil and still have about 5 gallons of good organic soil on top.

20200927_202116.jpg

How long should I soak my seed in water? How should the lighting be? Why do we germinate? Would the plants grow slower or be smaller if we just put the seed in the soil or medium?
I put my seeds straight in soil every grow & I use FFOF which some say is a hot mix. Haven't had an issue with it. I usually see growth in 3 - 4 days. IMO all that soaking & baggie paper towel stuff just slows down the grow. 3 - 4 days to get a 1/2" tap root & then bury it ? Why ? Plant the seed in soil & you'll see it's head pop up in 3 - 4 days.

I put a seed in 80 degree clean water with a little bit of aloe vera and the seeds are usually cracking open in about 12 hours.
I put in the ground buried about 1/8th inch and its above ground 12 hours later.
Unless my seed is more than 4 years old its usually cracked/planted/above ground between 24 to 36 hours.

This plant loves humidity. I've never seen a sprout grow so fast except on your guys journals. I dont wana screwed up. When do make adjustments?
I just want to note that I do nothing to adjust humidity... I just keep air flowing and let mother nature do her thing...
Adjusting RH is certainly a way to "dial it in" but it is by no means necessary in order to grow stellar plants here in the midwest... maybe it is different where you are in that "dry heat."

Back
Top Bottom