MA: Boston Official Pushes For Minority-Owned Businesses If Marijuana Becomes Legal

Katelyn Baker

Boston - A Boston city councilor wants to make sure minority-owned businesses get a fair shot if retail marijuana sales become legal in Massachusetts.

Councilor Ayanna Pressley has scheduled a hearing for Monday evening at Boston City Hall to discuss ways of providing equitable access to licensing opportunities and jobs in the commercial marijuana industry.

Question 4 on the November ballot would legalize recreational pot in Massachusetts.

It includes a unique provision that would require marijuana regulators to develop policies aimed to help "communities that have previously been disproportionately harmed by marijuana prohibition and enforcement."

Pressley said that in the 25 U.S. states where recreational or medical marijuana has been legalized so far, less than 1 percent of pot dispensaries or retail stores are owned and operated by people of color.

columbiacare2.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Boston Official Pushes For Minority-Owned Businesses If Marijuana Becomes Legal
Author: Staff
Photo Credit: Columbia Care

Re: MA: Boston Official Pushes For Minority-Owned Businesses If Marijuana Becomes Leg

Very interesting. I was not aware Massachusetts had a recreational issue on the ballot.

I do believe, however, that the greater issue is financial, as opposed to race. As med and rec issues pass nationwide we are seeing big business attempt to gain control and price the little guy out from day one. The "little guy" could be white empty-nesters in the 'burbs looking to change careers, a dozen black cousins looking to start a family business, an enterprising Hispanic girl in college, and so on. How can any of these people even get started if a state requires 100k plus in licensing and other regulatory start-up costs?

My problem with Councilor Pressley's push, as well as AA in general, is that it says two things: 1) We don't want the best of the best (doctor, teacher, business, etc), we simply want numbers and tax revenue, and, 2) We don't think Group A is smart enough or capable, when quite frankly any regular person with sense knows that Group A is just as capable as Group B or Group C. People vote with their wallets. As a hiring manager I always hired the best guy or gal for the job, and that's why that business was successful. If I had hired only people that looked like me and shared my common interests and political beliefs I likely would not have seen the same positive results.

I don't believe in a Wild West without laws, but we as a society have become to quick to play certain cards when we fail instead of looking inward to see what we can do differently to improve. Those of us in the pro-legalization community should be cautious when it comes to the way we end prohibition. Too much government/big business influence will almost certainly detract from what we are trying to accomplish as a community, which to me is providing affordable alternatives to Big Pharma while also providing alternatives to alcohol and other recreational, more dangerous drugs--all while ensuring access to people across the financial and ethnic spectrums.

Back
Top Bottom