MA: McMurtry Present For Vote On Marijuana Stores, Will Of The People Will Be Honored

Katelyn Baker

State Rep. Paul McMurtry said a controversial vote to delay the opening of retail marijuana stores was not an attempt to usurp the decisions made by voters, but rather to fully investigate the impacts of such businesses in Massachusetts.

McMurtry was at the State House last week when an informal session was called to vote on amending the legislation of Question 4, which would allow for retail marijuana stores, delaying their opening by six months to July 2017. Gov. Charlie Baker signed the bill last Wednesday.

McMurtry-who represents the towns of Westwood and Dedham-was among the eight legislators who voted unanimously to support the amendment. He said that such sessions are held twice a week, and a check online or with the State House clerk can provide information on what is to be discussed.

"Dozens if not hundreds of bills pass in informal sessions," said McMurtry on Monday. "This allows the legislators to do their due diligence to see the impacts on the cities of the commonwealth."

Question 4, which permits residents to grow marijuana plants in their homes and also provides for establishments to sell it, was passed during the Nov. 8 election. In Dedham, the measure faced a tie, with both sides voting in equal numbers. In Westwood, the question failed by approximately 1,600 votes, and in Norwood, those opposed outnumbered supporters by almost 100 votes.

McMurtry said he was at the State House to submit legislation to assist disabled seniors with property taxes and modernizing the Registry of Deeds when he attended the informal session. In these votes, only one person has to speak against the proposed legislation for it to be defeated, though no one did.

"It's assumed that everyone in an informal session agrees [with what is proposed]," said McMurtry. "If someone didn't want it, they could have stopped it, which wasn't the case."

Though those at the session were unanimous in their vote, the move has sparked protest from those that supported Question 4. In a statement released after the vote was taken, Jeffrey Zucker, president of the cannabis industry advisory firm Green Lion Partners, said it was an affront to those that voted in favor of the initiative.

"Should the governor sign this bill, which I expect him to do, this should hopefully only a short road block to enhancing freedom in the state, and ideally the extra months will be used to their utmost potential to ensure a successful launch for the industry in MA," Zucker said.

Isaac Dietrich, CEO of the cannabis social network and technology platform MassRoots, said, "It's a shame a small group of legislators are working to undermine the will of millions of voters in Massachusetts. We'll be mobilizing our community of hundreds of thousands of cannabis consumers to get this decision reversed early next year."

McMurtry said he did not support Question 4. While he doesn't want the prisons filled with people arrested for marijuana use, he said the public safety and medical issues concerned him.

"I think it's too soon, but I'm certainly keeping an open mind," he said. "My colleagues will respect and honor the will of the people, and will take this piece by piece."

McMurtry said that many people realize how far-reaching Question 4's approval is, and some of his constituents are worried that they'll see a retail marijuana store instead of a bakery.

"Most people think live and let live and keep the government out of private lives and I agree," said McMurtry. "We have an obligation to protect public safety and public health."

credKarenDucey.PNG

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: McMurtry Present For Vote On Marijuana Stores, Says Will Of The People Will Be Honored
Author: Max Bowen
Photo Credit: Karen Ducey

Back
Top Bottom