MA: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Approved In Springfield

Katelyn Baker

Springfield, MA - A new development agreement offers the possibility for additional medical marijuana sites in Springfield.

This decision comes four years after medical marijuana was legalized in Massachusetts and just a week after recreational marijuana was legalized.

The Springfield City Council hosted a community agreement on Monday.

The agreement will allow the Chicopee-based dispensary, and the Hampden Care Facility, to operate on Cottage Street in East Springfield.

"I think the patients, the community that has been asking for this is very excited for this. It cuts out a ride. With our population we should see more dispensaries coming to the city of Springfield," said Adam Gomez of the Springfield City Council.

"It could be good and bad I guess," said Joshua Evans of Springfield.

The city council had rejected an earlier agreement in August that would have given the facility an exclusive license in Springfield.

This new agreement will keep the possibility for additional dispensary sites open in Springfield.

In a statement, Mayor Domenic Sarno said "I'm glad and thankful to our city council on finally rendering a positive decision on this issue."

Mayor Sarno said his goal is to help those suffering and get the medical relief they need.

"It affects certain people differently but I feel like cigarettes or alcohol kill more people than marijuana," said Evans.

"When it comes to recreation, this dispensary is only going to be dealing with medicinal purposes only until the state creates that policy and guideline," said Gomez.

It is UN-clear exactly what will happen to facilities when recreational dispensaries come into play in 2018.

The city council is taking it one step at a time and they're excited for this progress.

IsseiKato.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Medical Marijuana Dispensary Approved In Springfield
Author: Erin Fitzimonds
Photo Credit: Issei Kato

Back
Top Bottom