MA: Sturbridge Selectmen To Get 'Alternative Perspective' On Medical Marijuana

Katelyn Baker

Sturbridge - Selectmen said Tuesday they will speak with representatives of a proposed medical marijuana dispensary about the board's recent decision to rescind its "letter of non-opposition" for the dispensary.

In a 4-0-1 vote Tuesday, the Board of Selectmen favored discussing the matter at its July 18 meeting. According to Town Administrator Leon Gaumond, representatives from Heal Inc. will address the board and present "an alternative perspective."

In a 3-2 vote on Jan. 18, the Board of Selectmen authorized the town administrator to prepare a "letter of non-opposition" to accompany Heal Inc.'s application to the state Department of Public Health seeking a license to operate a registered medical marijuana dispensary at the Sturbridge Business Park, 690 Main St., on the west side of Route 20.

However, at the board's last meeting, state Sen. Anne M. Gobi, D-Spencer, and state Rep. Todd M. Smola, R-Warren, spoke of the worst-case scenario if the "Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana Act" passes in the state. That prompted selectmen, in a 3-1 vote, to rescind the letter of non-opposition.

Selectmen Priscilla C. Gimas and Craig A. Moran said they are not against the medical component of marijuana but they have major concerns about keeping the nonprofit dispensary from becoming for-profit.

"The concern that came to me listening to the senator and the representative here, saying what would happen when that law passes, which most likely will pass in November," Ms. Gimas said. "What would happen, the ramifications, that's the concern and how are they going to deal with that is the bigger concern. Once they're here and they become a public retailer, that's a big concern."

"I don't think anybody on this board is against the medical marijuana portion of this article. And I think, in all honesty, what the board was voting on was medical marijuana. I had the question on what if with the Nov. 8 ballot, if it goes to a full marijuana operation, will it be changed over to that ... goes from a nonprofit to for-profit operation?" Mr. Moran said. "If we vote on the medical, we vote on the everything. If we don't have a vote, then we haven't voted on anything."

Board Chairman Mary Blanchard reiterated that the letter of non-opposition didn't say selectmen support the medical marijuana dispensary, just that use is allowed in that zone.

Mr. Moran said if Sturbridge becomes "the for-profit marijuana capital" of the Central Massachusetts, then everybody will be coming here for one reason and that is to buy marijuana.

"And that means our accident rates are going to go up. Our injuries are going to go up," Mr. Moran insisted. "We are going to have all kinds of problems when you can just walk in and buy it. You can grow 12 plants in your house. You can do whatever you want."

Selectman Mary B. Dowling said she continues to have concerns on what exactly a letter on non-opposition means and if they are required by state law.

"I continue to want an answer from (town) counsel as to whether or not those letters are mandatory or they are a matter of discretion under the existing law. ... To not oppose something means you believe it falls within our district and it's consistent to our bylaws. ... And I think it needs to be vetted through the regulatory process through planning, first."

cred-Reuters-edit.jpg

News Moderator: Katelyn Baker 420 MAGAZINE ®
Full Article: Sturbridge Selectmen To Get 'Alternative Perspective' On Medical Marijuana
Author: Craig S. Semon
Photo Credit: Reuters

Back
Top Bottom