Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" Goes To Pot In Marijuana Legalization Parody

Truth Seeker

Seattle rapper turned chart phenomenon Macklemore has watched his slow-burning single "Thrift Shop" explode to the top of the Billboard charts, where it stayed for an impressive four weeks in a row, especially for an independent release.

"Thrift Shop" has become so successful that it's generating parody videos, most notably "Pot Shop," a reworked version of the song that changes the lyrics to reflect a pro-legalization stance on marijuana. Watch the video here.

Comedian and former Miami mayoral candidate Steve Berke is the mastermind behind the THC-soaked message behind "Pot Shop," the idea born when Berke became a fan of the Macklemore original.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery," Berke told the Miami New Times. "I discovered 'Thrift Shop' when it had a million views on YouTube. I listened to the song, loved it. Watched it again, loved it."

A few months later, Berke had the idea to create "Pot Shop," saying that "the chorus was easy: 'I'm gonna smoke some weed, only got $20 in my pocket.'"

Eventually, the comedian had reworked the entire song into a rallying cry for the legalization of marijuana: "Let's end the war on drugs, It's time to pull the plug/These special interest groups are nothing more than corporate thugs/Let's end the war on weed, the people have agreed/These special interest groups have kept these laws with bribery."

Posting the elaborate music video for "Pot Shop" to YouTube in early January, the clip has already generated close to 4 million views, clocking in at 3,870, 736 as of February 21. The video features appearances by Playboy Playmate Amanda Cerny, Miami ophthalmologist Dr. Linda Kaplan ("Marijuana lowers eye pressure," she said) and a very quick cameo towards the end of the video from Macklemore himself in a show of support for the parody.

Pot_Shop.jpg

News Hawk- TruthSeekr420 420 MAGAZINE
Source: kroq.cbslocal.com
Author: Scott T. Sterling
Contact: Contact KROQ « The World Famous KROQ — Alt Rock Music News, Photos, Videos, Concerts

Back
Top Bottom