Made some canna-butter

Bruce Wheelman

Legal Advisor
420 Staff
Well, I used my furlough day yesterday to make some brownies and canna-butter. See my other post about the brownies.

Having read the about the process, I got my things together (pot, 1 lb butter, 1 oz ground med. grade buds, womens stockings (instead of cheese cloth), and a tupperware container:

DSC06512.JPG

DSC06513.JPG

DSC06514.JPG

I added about 1" of water to the pot, and boiled the water. Then I added in the 4 sticks of butter and got them melted as well - using a thermometer to keep the temps below 190*.

DSC06516.JPG

DSC065181.JPG

DSC065191.JPG

Next I added in my ground up bud, and slightly reduced the heat.

DSC065211.JPG

DSC065231.JPG

I allowed my mixture to simmer for around 3 hours, stirring occasionally. During this time I got out my tupperware container and stretched a stocking over the top to provide a method to strain the cannabis plant material out of the butter. I also used the time to make my brownies - see other post.

DSC065271.JPG

DSC06525.JPG

DSC065261.JPG

DSC065281.JPG

At around 3 hours, I noticed a fatty layer starting to form on top of the water-butter-cannabis mixture. I had read that was the indicator that my simmering was complete.

DSC065341.JPG

Then I poured the mixture through the "nylon strainer" into the tupperware container. The nylons caught all of the plant material, and after allowing a few minutes to cool, I carefully pulled the nylon off the top of the container, and wrapped the plant material inside the nylon. I then squeezed as much of the remaining butter out of the plant material. After squeezing, I ran 1/2 coffee cup of HOT water over the nylons to try to get as much of the butter out of the plant material as possible (I figured the water was going to separate in the container anyway). I then discarded the nylon and plant material, and placed the container in the fridge over night. The following morning, I had a container with "celery green" colored butter on too of some nasty looking water. I removed the butter and placed into a different container for use later - cookies or anything else I can think of.

DSC065361.JPG

DSC065351.JPG

I hope I did it right. :peace:

I'll be making some cookies tomorrow. I'm currently pretty fucked-up from the brownies I made. Wasn't too sure last night, but I had a 2x2 square this morning on an empty stomach and I've decided to rename them my "Blast-off Brownies" -- I'd say the quick cook method really worked.

Anyway, I digress...the butter smells wonderful this morning and I look forward to cooking with it.

:peace:

Questions that I have and made a post without any answers are...

I made some Cannabutter but it came out with a Pugnant and Odd Flavor. Kind of taste the same way herb does, no very pleasant in my opinion. Took a lot of Jelly to mask the flavor. The potency was pretty decent, it was my 1st batch anyway.

I used Salted Butter since I had nothing else in the fridge.

The question is, how your butter turned out? Did taste like plain butter? Did had a strong herb taste and odder?

I will like to make more but if cannaoil does a better job at it, I might try that better.

Just wondering. :)

Let me see if I can answer your questions......see my response below in blue.

Questions that I have and made a post without any answers are...

I made some Cannabutter but it came out with a Pugnant and Odd Flavor. Kind of taste the same way herb does, no very pleasant in my opinion. Took a lot of Jelly to mask the flavor. The potency was pretty decent, it was my 1st batch anyway.

I used Salted Butter since I had nothing else in the fridge.

The question is, how your butter turned out? Did taste like plain butter? Did had a strong herb taste and odder?OK - this is normal for canna-butter. Every edible I've ever tasted had that "cooked canabis" flavor

I will like to make more but if cannaoil does a better job at it, I might try that better. I also made some brownies and they also had a tell-tale flavor of cooked cannabis - no way to completely cover it and try to feed it to someone unsuspectingly

Just wondering. :)

HTH....:peace:

Thanks for the reply.

I am not trying to sneak it to anybody, just the flavor/smell is a bit too strong for my taste.

But if is normal is ok, I guess I have to deal with it.

Thanks again for the reply though

I am assuming the best way is with chocolate, like brownies, right? :blushsmile:

What type of weed did you use..and does it really matter

I used some "leftovers" from a previous grow....all buds ground up (I think there was some Pineapple Kush, Sour Kush, Bubba Kush, and a bit of an White Widow).

Why does it matter what strain was used? I can see a difference between trim, shake, and bud....but other than that it comes down to desired effects. Obviously this batch was predominately an indica batch, but I've had canna-butter made from other "blends of bud" and have always been satisfied with the results.

So far cookies and banana bread are "XXX"rated :Rasta:

Greetings NCAL :+]
Great post ..wow pictures.....u gave me a good idea ..the stockings was perfect...yesterday i finally found Cheescloth at a paint store..and did what u just described....one thing ...
How strong will the butter be ?
i
have not tried any of buds yet to give me an idea of the actual smoking strength sooo cant determine what is enough to try a test .
Thanks in advance.

S1

Just start with one cookie and wait for 1-1.5 hours to see the effects. You will want an empty stomach for best results. If it doesn't work as intended, try 2 cookies next time....and so on. But be careful - the buzz from edibles is different and stays MUCH longer - becoming uncomfortable for some people. So, a bit of T&E is important - also everyone is different and will feel the effects differently.

Personally, I use HIGH quality MMJ buds for my edibles (as opposed to schwag, trim, or shake) and after making my butter made some cookies - about 4 dozen choc chip to 1/2 pound of butter (about 1/2 oz of MMJ). 2 cookies and I'm nicely buzzed for 4-5 hours - add in one more and I'm done for the day. YMMV.

great post bro i always wanted to kno how to make cannabutter

Back
Top Bottom