Maer's - 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experience

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

Below are a few pics of my veggie garden earlier this year using nothing but my 3 part. The tomatoes were f'in amazing but needed some humic acids added for taste. Adding biojuice would have probably enhanced taste as well.

How did you cool those buckets in the summer heat?

Re: Maer's - BluePlanetNutrients 3 part + Organic - NFT / Soil - Winter Veggie Experi

How did you cool those buckets in the summer heat?

I had them growing in an area that only received direct sunlight from when the sun came up until about 1 pm and then they only got partial sunlight until about 3 pm and then shade for the rest of the day. So they got sun during the coolest part of the day and then shade during the hottest part. They were transpiring so much water that I had to top off each bucket every evening. I literally had to top off with 2 to 3 gallons each day. I am on well water and it is really cold coming out of the ground so they got a nice dose of cool water each day. I finally got tired of topping off the water and just let them go. I picked so much fruit that I was tired of salad every night and my neighbors were tired of tomatoes and cucumbers as well. Next time I garden outdoors, I will rig up a RDWC system so I can just top off a 55 gallon drum and check the pH and tds more easily as well. I love DWC because it is so easy and forgiving.

So you had no fungus, root rot, algae, nothing? and they sat outside open like that? no bugs... nothing??!! WTF! those buckets are 100% lightproof? I guess the hydroton would block the light from getting to all the roots? but no algae?

I has some caterpillars defoliate a pepper plant so I started using 7 dust and that solved the problem. As far as the roots, 1 or 2 plants had some minor rot but I ran a little h2o2 in those buckets and that seemed to clear it up

What rate should I add blackstrap molasses once they begin to fruit? The gallon of strapped I just got says it is not for hydro.. use Sweet it says...

I have also heard not to use molasses in hydro, especially one that is aerated and uses sprayers. I guess it give bacteria a great medium to grow in. Also my understanding is that the molasses is to feed your bennies which in turn feed your plants. I can't recall where I read it, but I recall that you can use it in a DWC system though.

I am sticking to using the molasses only in my hempy buckets and I'll use Sugaree in the hydro.

Molasses is used to feed the beneficials like SteveHman said. It also contains a lot of potassium, nitrogen, magnesium, trace elements, vitamins, etc... IN fact, high quality blackstrap molasses can contain up to 5% N and 5% K. I use 5-1-3 molasses in my organic products when making them. It works wonders in soil. I have experimented with it in DWC and I am still not 100% sold on using it in hydroponics because it foams up some and can create a mess, clog injectors, etc.. If you do use it, just use a SMALL amount but you probably better off using it only in soil. I have a friend that said he has used watermelon juice in hydroponics with good results when finishing off his plants. He was using it in flood tables. I can't remember the exact amount but he liked it. I never did get to smoke that stuff but he said that it was pleasantly sweeter....

Well sucks I made that mistake I will have to order sweet now. I have a plan for next years garden so I will make the Strapped part of that.

So the experiment is going to be to use the humate tea for the toms right? I am going to be running DM zone so I don't worry so much about bacteria, but I am not brave enough to use the molasses.

ya, use the humate tea and biojuice when fruits are forming.

The bio juice will be "bio - less" (because of the zone [chloramine]) but the other ingredients will do well?

Oh, I know. The bio-juice contains alfalfa tea and seaweed tea which are both readily available organic nutrition for plants. I am speculating that it will improve taste because it is organic. I have never used it in hydro but have wanted to since I started making it.

Sorry for the lack of updates, I am going to post a big one soon. I have been battling root rot in my other grow.

I have cranked the tomatoes to 3.0 EC, I will let you know how they deal with that tomorrow.

The plants responded well to 3.0, and 3.5, I went to 5.2 or so today and the leaves have curled under a bit. I am going to add some water and see what happens.

ok by popular request!

You can see the leaves curling down:
P1020475.JPG

Lettuce and Bell peppers:
P1020471.JPG

Mesclun, Cilantro, and Poblano
P1020466.JPG

Back
Top Bottom