Maer's 540W Advanced LED — G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

Re: Maer's 540W Advanced LED – G13/Haze - DIY 4" PVC Revised StevehmaNFT Grow

Still no roots on clones. Things continue to be dank in the closet and more sugar is packing on. I wonder if this is because of my shitty start? I also wonder if I should wait regardless of trichs because of the first 2 weeks being f'ed up.

I've been going off of how the overall plant is looking, trichs being one part of that. I look at the projected finish time according to the breeder and a week prior I start to check out the trichs, also look at the fan leaves for yellowing and the pistils turning color and then just an overall sense that they are ready. You will kind of know after a few grows. Then, here's the hard part.....wait one more week and then chop. Half-strength nutes final two weeks and that's it, at least for me.

Did a full res change to begin my flush... they are seven weeks yesterday - only a couple plants showing orange pistils but under the scope most are showing amber trichs. I dont know what to do but I -DO- know that the roots are close to filling the tubes (pics to come) so I think I will have no choice but to harvest in a week or two.

5.0 pH
640 ppm
68 res set point
83 flower room set point

P1020750.JPG
P1020755.JPG
P1020759.JPG

So I did a res change today and here is the update on the roots that I trimmed last week....

P1020726.JPG
P1020731.JPG

P1020741.JPG

You can see in the last picture how much healthy root mass their is, I think because my water level is running so high the root grow more bulk, next time I will lower the level early in the grow.

These are the root I trimmed, nice white and cucumber smell:
P1020748.JPG

Buds are densing and sugar is packing on:

P1020791.JPG
P1020775.JPG
P1020763.JPG
P1020773.JPG
P1020790.JPG
P1020766.JPG
P1020769.JPG

AND I have implemented an artificial intelligence battle mech security system:

P1020796.JPG

Looking great, nice looking roots (no slime :) ). With all of your EE experience, I bet that robot is programmed to attack and defend.

I really like the NFT systems for ease of use, simplicity and great results. Well done!

+reps for all of this and the Arduino project you and OG13 have been working on.

Edit: I got the "you need to spread the love" message. I owe you some rep points.

Dam cool robot. I believe that was the bad robot from robocop. Good job looking great.

Will NFT sustain longer veg 36" tall, 30" wide, bushes? I'm trying to come up with ways to enlarge my grow to fill my 4x4 better and make more full use of the tent. I'm probably only at 70% efficiency presently.

@steve - Actually I'm a ChemE! I tried to give you reps for the busy life comment in your thread and got the same message, we need to make more friends lol.

@Kola - Indeed that is ED-209!! I have the Robocop figure too but they fight when in the same grow area, so he is guarding the clones.

@Bassman59 - I think my obsession with high water level (I thought it was better) led to a lot of problems. With larger plants, lower the water level so the roots make a denser mass at the bottom. In my system then kept sending out lateral shoots that filled the tube too much, I think if I had lowered the level early on this would not have happened.

I think my pump may be a bit over powered too because if you think about it your "flow speed" is your pump flow rate over the volume of water in the system. With a high water level the flow speed of the water is lower, where as with a true film with no dam / elbow the water will be moving very fast.

If you are trying to figure out your efficiency look at your gram / watt ratio and your g/m2. Make sure you measure the area of your canopy not the footprint.

Will NFT sustain longer veg 36" tall, 30" wide, bushes? I'm trying to come up with ways to enlarge my grow to fill my 4x4 better and make more full use of the tent. I'm probably only at 70% efficiency presently.
The aeroflo 36 is the right size for a 4x4. You can order the parts and make your own or just do a simple 4in PVC setup. You don't want to have 36" tall plants in there, their root mass would clog the system. Go clone-to-bloom, grow a SOG style canopy and you will have more harvests per year, which should also be a metric you consider in growing (how many grams per day of growing). My 6.5 grow is going for max yield but I don't know if getting a GPW with 4 weeks of veg and 7 of bloom (11 total) is more efficient than getting .75 GPW with no veg time in 7 weeks.

For an indoor grow you're going to be better off going more smaller plants to maximize top colas instead of one big plant.

@Steve - Actually I'm a ChemE! I tried to give you reps for the busy life comment in your thread and got the same message, we need to make more friends lol.

I think my pump may be a bit over powered too because if you think about it your "flow speed" is your pump flow rate over the volume of water in the system. With a high water level the flow speed of the water is lower, where as with a true film with no dam / elbow the water will be moving very fast.

If you are trying to figure out your efficiency look at your gram / watt ratio and your g/m2. Make sure you measure the area of your canopy not the footprint.
I just need to make sure I spread the love around more, I try to +rep at least 5 posts a day, but haven't been hitting that lately.

I read an article on NFT saying the recommended flow rate is 1~2 liters per minute, about 60-120 GPH (per tube) and to keep the film level low--if I recall it was less than an inch (but that was in a flat bottom system).

For an indoor grow you're going to be better off going more smaller plants to maximize top colas instead of one big plant.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I'm the new grower of course, so grain of salt. But after having read or been reading a 160pg+ thread on the topic of defoliation and making 36"cubed plants yielding 10z-15z per I am intrigued with fewer, more bushy. The idea of course was to create lots of canopy level bud sites & few fan leaves blocking penetration, thereby nearly eliminating popcorn and making all bud. *in hydro*

Hempy or rdwc in 1 bucket per plant may be the better way to achieve this I guess. I know for sure my tubs are too small for such width and would block each other out on mid to lower bud sites from crowding. But I was kinda thinking my clone grow would be a decent test to see the effects and figure out my needs for grow 3.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I'm the new grower of course, so grain of salt. But after having read or been reading a 160pg+ thread on the topic of defoliation and making 36"cubed plants yielding 10z-15z per I am intrigued with fewer, more bushy. The idea of course was to create lots of canopy level bud sites & few fan leaves blocking penetration, thereby nearly eliminating popcorn and making all bud. *in hydro*

Hempy or rdwc in 1 bucket per plant may be the better way to achieve this I guess. I know for sure my tubs are too small for such width and would block each other out on mid to lower bud sites from crowding. But I was kinda thinking my clone grow would be a decent test to see the effects and figure out my needs for grow 3.
In the time it will take you to veg, bush and trim a 36" cubed plant, I will be more than halfway through a flower cycle, by the time you harvest that plant I will be more than halfway through a second flower cycle. You will have used more electricity to veg out that bush whereas I will be going straight 12/12 from the cloner. I have been able to constantly pull a lb+ per grow in about the same foot print your 36" cubed plant will take. If I am able to do 1-2/3rd grows to your one, I will in effect yield about 66% more over the same period of time--and use less electricity.

I'm not sure I totally agree with that. I'm the new grower of course, so grain of salt. But after having read or been reading a 160pg+ thread on the topic of defoliation and making 36"cubed plants yielding 10z-15z per I am intrigued with fewer, more bushy.

Just for math lets say you vegged for 8 weeks? if your plants are 36x36 lets say I could fit 2 into my closet (6.5' x 2.25), at 12z's per plant that is 24zs in 4 months.

In 4 months I could run 2 cycles of clone to bloom with 18 plants and lets say 1.5z per or 54 ounces.

Just for math lets say you vegged for 8 weeks? if your plants are 36x36 lets say I could fit 2 into my closet (6.5' x 2.25), at 12z's per plant that is 24zs in 4 months.

In 4 months I could run 2 cycles of clone to bloom with 18 plants and lets say 1.5z per or 54 ounces.
and you would use 25% less electricity by not vegging

Edit: I think I will have to track grams-per-KWH used and grams-per-day and then figure total cost of growing a gram (nutes, electricity etc...).

I see your points guys. I'm already "pushing" the med laws here with more than 1 in mature state and in all cases the 1z of useable for MMJ possession/premisses is a joke. (allowed 1 in "mature" 6 in veg)

I'll think over my options with my space.

yea I dunno what defines mature but I figure well along in flower at a minimum.

I see your points guys. I'm already "pushing" the med laws here with more than 1 in mature state and in all cases the 1z of useable for MMJ possession/premisses is a joke. (allowed 1 in "mature" 6 in veg)

I'll think over my options with my space.

Roger that Bass, pretty bullcrap to limit to 1 ounce of meds when it takes so dam long to grow the med, in which case that 1 ounce would be long gone.

@steve...I like the efficiency of your grow with clone to flower and all, you really dont have the time to be screwing around with this. My states definition of mature is any visible flower with the human eye. Talk about vague, that means the cops could see a couple white hairs just when it lets you know shes a girl and they can claim that as mature even tho it aint worth diddly. can you say LAME!!!!! We need so much more in terms of fairness with this whole med issue, and honestly even more from the feds to finally make people stop having to live in fear.:peace:

The words of the law in my state say useable product, so if you extract 20onces to 1 once of naptha extract that will last you months. The other thing you can do is sell your excess to a dispensary then just buy it back at a slight markup with the money you got.

The words of the law in my state say useable product, so if you extract 20onces to 1 once of naptha extract that will last you months. The other thing you can do is sell your excess to a dispensary then just buy it back at a slight markup with the money you got.

Maer....My friend our state was the first to have med MJ and they still dont have a dispensary system nor allow it, talk about DUMB, also came up in legislation this year, looked promising, OOOPs got shot down again.:welldone:

Back
Top Bottom