Maer's Comparison Grow Idea Corner

Maer

I looked for an appropriate forum but really couldn't find one that applied to this.

I want to start a thread with ideas for comparison grows. As my setup matures I am striving to create a "set and forget" sealed environment with complete automated control. This is turning out to cost a lot but like all MMJ grows I am limited by the number of plants I can have at one time, so getting the most out of my allotted space is top priority.

So the crux of the thread is this - I want a thread for people to bounce ideas for comparison grows. Not just things that have been done, or qualitative analysis, but hardcore quantitative analysis.

I have a couple ideas I will follow this up with to make my point.

I understand the meds can make everyone goofy at times but as a wise man once said we need to, "promote the idea we're not all brain-dead stoners". So no lets cross some MJ with an oak tree, or oranges or any stupid ****.

:thanks:

Title: Side lighting analysis

Purpose: To evaluate the efficiency of side lighting vs top lighting

Assumptions:

Plants can absorb light from all angles so applying light to leaves and bud sites not at full saturation will lead to increased flower mass and resin production.

Method:

As it applies to my space (2x6) the space will be divided into 3 sections (2x2 each), using 1/4 particle board covered with mylar to separate the 3 areas. The growth method is a 16-18 site recirculating NFT system.

Area 1 is the control area lit by 1 - 180W Light.

Area 2 is lit overhead by 1 - 180W LED Light and 1 - 100W LED Light on each side (2 total).

Area 3 is lit overhead by 1 - 180W LED Light overhead by 2 x 100W LED Lights

All 3 areas supplied with clones of the same strain, of a consistent size at the start of the flower cycle.

Title:

Root pruning analysis

Purpose:

To evaluate the necessity of root structure in a hydro environment.

Assumptions:

Plants continue to grow roots as a result of evolutionary response to limited resources at any given location in soil. Hydroponic growing methods such as NFT provide more nutrients to the roots than they can absorb. I long root system obstructs the growing system and restricts the flow of nutrient fluid.

Method:

As it applies to my space (2x6) the space will be divided into 3 sections (2x2 each), using 1/4 particle board covered with mylar to separate the 3 areas. The growth system is a 16-18 site re-circulating NFT system.

Area 1 is the control area lit by 1 - 180W Light. The roots of these plants will not be pruned.

Area 2 is lit overhead by 1 - 180W LED Light. The roots of these plants will be pruned to 4” in length every 2 weeks.

Area 3 is lit overhead by 1 - 180W LED Light. The roots of these plants will be pruned to 6” in length every 2 weeks.

All 3 areas supplied with clones of the same strain, of a consistent size at the start of the flower cycle.

I'm interested in the side lighting comparison. Are you planning on adopting one of the mentioned ideas or ones from others suggested into your future grow?

If someone else does a good job with it then no I would not re-do the experiment. If someone else does them then I guess I will have to think of more.

Great thread Maer! I would like to see a comparison of many of the supposed techniques for higher potency, i.e. Driving a stake through the stalk, 48 hours of darkness as opposed to 12 (nature) before chop, Dehydrating the plants before chop, etc. Always nice to get more potent buds! Would love to know if any of the myths work noticeably.

Great thread Maer! I would like to see a comparison of many of the supposed techniques for higher potency, i.e. Driving a stake through the stalk, 48 hours of darkness as opposed to 12 (nature) before chop, Dehydrating the plants before chop, etc. Always nice to get more potent buds! Would love to know if any of the myths work noticeably.

The only problem is those would require multiple lab tests for comparison, preferably 2 or 3 per plant, and unless a lab is willing to sponsor - as the lady said, "too buku".

The only problem is those would require multiple lab tests for comparison, preferably 2 or 3 per plant, and unless a lab is willing to sponsor - as the lady said, "too buku".

You're right. I guess that would be impractical for us small time personal growers here at 420. But im going to keep brainstorming!

Side lighting? Full spectrum, ie 'white' light?
I grow with bare-bulb vertical CMH HID. I've stayed with this set-up for reasons.

Side lighting meaning T5HO or LED lights lighting the sides of the plants in rows. By full spectrum 12/12 means one MH and one HPS in a single fixture alla the Growzilla.

side lighting is irrelevant now days with aircooled hoods! and quality controlled temps, leave temps are much cooler at the top with the lighting be closer. the lighting hits all thee topside of the leaves which is where it is needed for pphotosynthesis. so its seems to me if ya focus on your canopy height and lamp temp near your tops u wont need side lighting. if ya need sid lighting your growing your plants way to tall and/or with to little lumens. the only side lighting i have ever seen do it and i mean gett it done was krusty on overgrow, but reall cant say thats side lighting, :"when he had multiple 1ooow hps bulbs hanging in rows and plants in buckets rowed inbetween the bulbs. large plants and what look like to have good density down low, but??? who knows but him, lol... but the one thing i wondered was how often he burned himslef tryin to work in and/or around the buckets, lol? so not really side lighting. photo and grow journal may still be on that site i dint know?

one opinion later and one joint later,

Back
Top Bottom