MaggiesFarm - 1st Grow - Soil - Indoor/Outdoor - Nirvana Freebies - 2014

Good idea! I think I will transplant them now and then move them outdoors just before the in-laws get here. I can top them and start training them while they are still indoors.

Happy you made it, Renegade! :welcome:

Quick report this morning. My plants are responding to me leaving them alone. Most of the droopiness is gone and no new bad spots have appeared on the leaves. I plan to top FTB-02 after the next watering, probably Friday.

Has anyone heard of mixing human hair in with the soil, as a N source? From what I read, it's a great N supplier but breaks down rather slowly. A friend came by last night and said he had something for me. He owes me $150 so I thought "great!". He presents me with a bag of hair and told me to use it as fertilizer. I guess I'll throw it in the compost pile.

Congratulations, very good news from your garden sorry for ur friend !! keep up to fight as u said.

good work too :) no easy everyday but we learn so much !!

It's five days since your last pics, may i ask you how the look now .?

kind regards T.

Too busy and too much activity around here this weekend to get much done with the plants. I should be able to post some pics tomorrow.

Hey, MaggiesFarm. Thanks for the journal. Caught up and subbed up. On my first grow, so will pull up a chair on this one with great interest. Right now the only advice I can offer is "Neither a borrower nor a lender be". :goodluck::goodluck::goodluck:

may be to early to tell yet but the leaves look like an indica! :)

im subbed in, glad to hear your plants recovered. looking forward to seing them laying out in the sun

Welcome MrTeddy and Gf!

Well, the kids are looking pretty good and they are growing slowly. We had way too much stuff going on around here the last week so I wasn't able to break away to transplant. That will get done this week. I was able to snap off a couple pics before my phone battery died on me. The new growth looks good on both. Is that lighter green on the top growth something I should be concerned about?

FTB-01 measuring in at just over 6.0".
CAM001403.jpg

FTB-02 is still an inch+ taller.
CAM001411.jpg

What can I do to get the stalks to start beefing up?

Now for some good news. I won a small grow box complete with lights(CFLs), charcoal filter and 6 plant hydro system on a hydro dealer's site on Sunday. It will come in handy. I hope to have it by the end of next week.

More info later.

After looking a little longer at the pics it looks like an iron deficiency, most likely caused by a ph problem. When I watered the other day I think they got some 8.0 ph water by accident.

im banking on Nitrogen Deficiency.. thats almost solid yellow with a green center just like N deficiency..

as to beefing up your stocks, do you have osculating fans around ur ladys? that will make a wind draft making them beef up so they dont break (replicating the outside air)

I&i

Edit: it seems to be in progression stage however, so you caught it just in time.

if your worried about them breaking due to being to tall and adding air now, build a triangle frame with bamboo or anything you can that is clean (its going into ur soil needs to be clean) and zip tie some branches to it until flower time, a week into flower cut the zip ties free (dont get the zip ties to tight as the branches keep growing, i like to be able to fit 2-3 fingers inside the zip tie after its on.)

Thanks for the input Gf. I thought a nitrogen deficiency would show up on the bottom leaves first since the new leaves will pull N from there? Whatever it is, I'm sure it boils down to a nute lockout due to ph problems. I swear it's easier to get the 40,000 gallons of water in my pool to the correct ph than 5 gallons in a bucket.

I do have a fan in the closet so they are getting some good air circulation.

i assume the fan is directed towards the plants and are hitting them slightly?

How many plants are under that light? some plants may not be getting as much light as they need.

im pretty sure whats happening (take this with a grain of salt please)
is that the new growth is trying to take in nitrogen and the older part of the plant is not allowing its nitrogen that it needs.. (nute lockout)

"mobile elements
mobile elements are more likely to exhibit visual deficiencies in the older leaves, because during demand these elements will be exported to the new growth"

Edit: sounds confusing.. confusing myself here

this isnt what ur using for ur nutes are you? believe this is for hydroponics only

ok found this one, i assume this guy :p

i personally like 3 part mixes myself, so i can add my mirco first then grow then bloom. ive never understood how they get 1 part mixes to keep from locking out nutes

Yes, the fan is blowing across the tops of the 2 plants. The FF Grow Big I've used is the soil version. I'm going to go back to using ph corrected distilled water with CaMg+. They will be getting transplanted tomorrow or Friday for sure into some fresh FF OF.

Hi Maggies, As some experts said with my brown spot, don't worry as it's still growing, still green :)

Good luck for the rest, lady looks beautiful

after re looking at the pics, they do just look like they are new growth that havent darkened up. i try and not stress over my plants, just had a mother try and go into flower on me for some weird reason.. so i put it directly under a t5 light by itself and now its grown some weird 3 finger leafs.. will just let it sit and do its thing, if need be, she gets thrown out and replaced by a new playgirl :).

(i do say this, while i have several clones of the mother already.. my rule of thumb is if my plant looks like its not doing so well, take clones let the mother die and find the new mother) but this is coming from a guy that spends as some like to tell me (way to much time with my plants) i do love them all equally, but if one is showing weak signs.. no reason to make it struggle, just put it out and start fresh.

NOT RECOMMENDING YOU TO DO THIS AS I GET PLANTS AND SEEDS AT NO COST.

(cbds are treated much differently, little harder to get my hands on even in a medical state)

The lighter green new growth on your plants indicate your plants are using more nitrogen then you are supplying and can slightly increase the amount of nitrogen you are feeding.

Here is a nutrient availability chart

pH_chart7.jpg

Thanks for the comments and info everyone.

KJC, once they are transplanted today or tomorrow I'll be ramping up the feeding a little bit. Thanks again!

after re looking at the pics, they do just look like they are new growth that havent darkened up. i try and not stress over my plants, just had a mother try and go into flower on me for some weird reason.. so i put it directly under a t5 light by itself and now its grown some weird 3 finger leafs.. will just let it sit and do its thing, if need be, she gets thrown out and replaced by a new playgirl :).

(i do say this, while i have several clones of the mother already.. my rule of thumb is if my plant looks like its not doing so well, take clones let the mother die and find the new mother) but this is coming from a guy that spends as some like to tell me (way to much time with my plants) i do love them all equally, but if one is showing weak signs.. no reason to make it struggle, just put it out and start fresh.

NOT RECOMMENDING YOU TO DO THIS AS I GET PLANTS AND SEEDS AT NO COST.

(cbds are treated much differently, little harder to get my hands on even in a medical state)

So after some research, and a almost sleeping with the ladys last night ;) ive came to the conclusion that my issue (plant went into flower, brought back into veg, now has 3 point leafs) is they have became mutated due to the stress. doesnt seem to be uncommon from what ive researched, anyone here hear of anything like this?

Females of all species are capable of anything when enough stress is applied.

The most common thing to happen would probably be for them to turn hermie. That would really suck.

got a good laugh outa me with the first part of your comment.

im not to worried about it as i took clones from them already and literally just planted into some soil. so if the mother goes its not the end of the world. but yes, if it doesnt grow some 5 finger guys within the week im throwing her outa the tent. dont like looking at IT ha

In my first journal here on 420 mag I used FFOF and had a hell of a time due to 2 things. Feeding when it wasnt needed and worrying about PH. Bagged soils have PH buffers added so theres no need for PH adjustments and doing so just causes problems. Ocean Forest is known to be a hot soil so adding nutes will only cause problems. Once you transplant and add fresh soil youll get another 4 to 6 weeks before needing to add any extra nutes.

Heres a copy/paste from the FFOF page:

Garden tip: Perfect for containers and ready to use right out of the bag. Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 to allow for optimum fertilizer uptake. There’s no need for nitrogen fertilizers at first; instead try an organic blend like FoxFarm Big Bloom® Liquid Plant Food to encourage strong branching and a sturdy, healthy growth habit.

Being that this is a grow to prove to your wife you can pull it off, I would suggest going with a less is more train of thought. Chasing PH will drive you nuts and ruin your grow. I would suggest just using de-chlorinated tap water for veg and maybe top dressing with some EWC or making a tea with them if you do need a boost during veg. Then for flower something easy like Pure Blend Pro Bloom thats a 1 part organic bloom nute. If you get the worm castings you can amend your used soil and re use it next grow which will save money and should help keep the wife happy also.

The light colored tops of your plants looks like normal new growth to me. I love seeing that color on my plants because it shows they are growing which is what we want to see.

Back
Top Bottom