MaggiesFarm - Outdoor Container - Bubblelicious Auto-Fem Soil Grow

caught up in here as well :) looks gorgeous MF. Sorry about your losses to those gnats......
Personally I think 'fim'ming outdoors (and indoors of course) is great, the more tops the merrier and its not that hard as long as the plant is old enough to fim. Topping can be done earlier than Fimming in my experience, although it's more stressful it's also more successful because there's no option left for the plant but to take to your top or die (and they've never died in my experience) once you've removed the whole tip of new growth down to the node.

With fims its different because the plant isn't left with an 'early life ultimatum moment' like with tops. Since you aren't cutting off the whole node in a fim, the node can almost always keep growing regularly (as a single top, otherwise you cut it too low and its a top instead of a fim effectively anyways) after it gets over the shock and stunt, you'll just have some ugly leaves and lose a week or two of growth to the stunt. The plant at that stage isn't worried about getting you a big fat harvest of sticky buds, its focused on survival and isn't going to bother trying to grow 4 new nodes for you off a single cut you made when it can just save its energy for a week and get back to what it was doing before you assaulted it with a premature 'fim'.

Those are my theories on it anyways , I wonder what others think about it. I've always been able to do tops as early as I want; though they can give some bad shock, they've always given me 2 tops. I've always failed when I've tried to fim early...always. I think tops can be started once there's at least 3-4 node spots, and you should wait to do fims 'til about 6-7. That's at least going to be the rule of thumb I use for myself from now on, since my latest fim fail.

Update coming this evening. Grace is showing some signs of either a pH problem or deficiency. I had to top Linda due to something attacking her main top. She's not growing very fast right now, but seems to be recovering. I'll get some pics up in a couple hours.

Grace and Linda have both been a little under the weather lately. There are a couple pics of leaves on Grace that are showing a problem. It could be a calcium deficiency due to pH lockout. My pH tester was way out of calibration and they were getting some low pH water. I've got that issue fixed now. Linda's top wilted and died late last week. I clipped it off and she is starting to recover with some nice new growth.

Grace has taken well to the LST. All of the lower branches are now growing straight up and should develop some nice buds. I've been tucking fan leaves and only plucking older ones. I'll probably do a light defol on her next week. She really smells great!
IMG_27799.JPG

IMG_2780_zoom.png

IMG_2781_zoom.png

IMG_2782_zoom.png

IMG_2783_zoom.png

IMG_2784_zoom.png

Linda had to be topped so I'm hoping I end up with a couple nice colas on her.
IMG_2785_zoom.png

IMG_2786_zoom.png

IMG_2787_zoom.png

Any ideas on what's wrong with Grace? Am I on the right track?

I think once you have your ph stabilized, the available mutes will most likely correct itself. But i would say Cal/mag is a good choice, and it wont really effect anything if it is k

Thanks for the advice guys. Tiger Bloom is part of her feeding which should take care of the P and K when the pH is right. She also gets 5ml/gal molasses with the CaMg+.

Hey MF, (no longer calling you maggie lol, Sorry!! Saw your profile, you're a guy. :laughtwo: I'm too young to know every Bob Dylan song.... but I love All Along the Watchtower ;))

Your little spotted deficiency, is something I'm coming to know as, a Fox Farm burn. FFOF, and FFLW, or FFHF... basically any fox farm soil can do this. You may want to go take a look at another grower's issues using FFOF/FFLW recently, they look like the same thing though your case is much milder as of now. Here's Raiven's grow journal: Raiven's 1st Indoor Grow - THC Bomb Auto - 2014

Raiven's small plant in particular had the roughest time of it. But eventually, after trying everything from pH adjustments to adding ferts to flushing, even the small plant starts to perk up. Now, personally I think it was his flushing that fixed him back up. I've never seen flushing overly damage any plant either. I'd recommend doing a PeeJay style of flush (dunking up to 3/4ths of your containers in a tub of clean water and letting them sit for a while) and I bet it'll clear right up. I certainly WOULDN'T recommend adding any nutes or ferts whatsoever. It may appear as a deficiency but I bet it's got to do with pH and the general "hot" nature of FF soils - but this doesn't mean go and mess with the pH!!! That will probably just make it worse and kill any happy biota/microbial life that are starting up down by the roots! If you can flush it to get some of the "heat" out of the soil, and only feed half as much for a while, the soil and microbes should start to buffer the pH for you so you don't need to worry about it. Hope this helps!

Looking lovely by the way, and your little FF burn isn't something to stress over too much either; I bet even if you just keep doing what you're doing you'll still end up with a happy harvest. :ciao:

Your damaged leaves won't repair themselves as I'm sure you know, so as long as the new growth is good, you're golden.

Its possible its the ff, but seems like he would have had issues before now.

It's totally possible its not the FF, maybe he got a cooler batch of it....
That said I'm as close to 100% sure its the ff as I could be lol :S and seriously recommend a PeeJay style flush before anything else. If he does that and it doesn't help I'm a french monkey's uncle Lol.

no updates in either journal :eek: those in laws and relatives must have hit you like D-Day.. fight them off like Teddy said! :laughtwo:

I just wanted to add to timothypaul's comment, actually unless you start feedings early (like Raiven) or your soil is just way out of balance, totally hot; soil mix problems tend to show up around 6 weeks of being in there, it takes a while to accumulate enough to start locking out, messing with uptake and messing with pH. I think that's what happened and I think MF has a mild case of that. I don't mean to sound arrogant or too sure of myself lol, I've just learned that when I really mess up is when I second guess myself, and I've got a strong feeling that its the FF soil being a touch too hot, and a good flush could get everything back into the optimal conditions - worth a shot at the very least, its nearly impossible to hurt your plant with a proper flush.

Waiting for an update :blushsmile: :popcorn:

I totally agree with the flush, and is actually what i was referring to when i said get your ph back in balance. Although i didn't directly say it, it what i meant.

Hey MaggiesFarm, she'll be fine. I'd go with a flush also, can't hurt and should get your ph inline and take care of any lockout issues you might be having. Keep up the good job.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did your grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom