Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Table

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

i think the led was having to deal w/the hid's heat. what do u think, beans?

Re: Magic Beans' Advanced LED Diamond Series 200w VS. 250w HPS - Lemon Skunk Flood Ta

Suprised nobody has pointed out the big plant on the led side was the only one in a big bucket. Isnt that a large variable?

...The HPS actually yielded less than the LED. Now there could be many reasons to this. I am not in any way trying to say that it is not possible that the LED would beat the HPS 9/10 times, but I am thinking there is more to it than it preformed better. It could have been too far (although it was at 16" which I believe would be just perfect for a non vented HPS)...

16" is kinda far for a 250.

i think the led was having to deal w/the hid's heat. what do u think, beans?

250w hps gives off very little heat. I can almost zip up my 3x3 tent all the way with a 600w mh conversion bulb running.

I think its the pot size. Look 3 times bigger then the rest, and size does matter with containers and root mass. Bigger root mass usually means a bigger plant.

Though im a little skeptical, id love to try out anyone of their diamond series leds, or the all blue veg one even. The price kills me though. $545 beans for this 200w diamond series is a lot of loot for just 200 watts and its small foot print.

From what ive read, leds seem to be following moores law. They are getting smaller and the price is dropping exponentially. Just like computer chips.

@corners i agree with you but my experience so far with advanced led lights is a good one and the heat is noticebly less. I had heat issues from the get go when i ran my tent. 85 average with T5s, although i haven't tested these lights in my tent yet (which shall be soon) I have been running the leds and i can tell the heat difference big time. Hope they will save me some on electricity, but heat factor with me was great. But yes, costly, big time....so im hoping they produce well, so far so good.

@corners i agree with you but my experience so far with advanced led lights is a good one and the heat is noticebly less. I had heat issues from the get go when i ran my tent. 85 average with T5s, although i haven't tested these lights in my tent yet (which shall be soon) I have been running the leds and i can tell the heat difference big time. Hope they will save me some on electricity, but heat factor with me was great. But yes, costly, big time....so im hoping they produce well, so far so good.

Cool. Ive been looking around to see if i can find them cheaper, maybe on alibba. I think i found the people that actually make the same diamond series leds for advanced. Closer to a $1 a watt.

They did say they were the same makers. Guess they make 100w to 800w diamond series for advanced. Trying to get a shipping quote

Cool. Ive been looking around to see if i can find them cheaper, maybe on alibba. I think i found the people that actually make the same diamond series leds for advanced. Closer to a $1 a watt.

BUT , leds like computer chips have been exponentially dropping in size and price, and increasing in power and heat every single year. So i cant wait
If you look online you can find a "similar" light, as far as shape and look. The problem is if you order from those sites you are taking your chances. They may not use the same chips and in the same wavelengths and quantity. Most importantly though is the customer support. If you light doesn't perform do they offer a 90 day no questions asked money back guarantee, or if it stops working will they replace it for up to three years? I highly doubt you'll find that level of service dealing directly with the factory in China.

I had actually considered going that route myself last year but decided the benefits of dealing with a company here in the U.S. was worth the extra cost. Additionally, these lights are being thoroughly tested in these public journals so you can order them with a degree of certainty they will work. You can't say the same of the cheaper lights.

If you look online you can find a "similar" light, as far as shape and look. The problem is if you order from those sites you are taking your chances. They may not use the same chips and in the same wavelengths and quantity. Most importantly though is the customer support. If you light doesn't perform do they offer a 90 day no questions asked money back guarantee, or if it stops working will they replace it for up to three years? I highly doubt you'll find that level of service dealing directly with the factory in China.

I had actually considered going that route myself last year but decided the benefits of dealing with a company here in the U.S. was worth the extra cost. Additionally, these lights are being thoroughly tested in these public journals so you can order them with a degree of certainty they will work. You can't say the same of the cheaper lights.

Yeah, 3 year warranty. I doubt the 90 day bit, but i could buy 2 or 3 of the same thing for the same price of one if it did break, couldn't i?

I dont know, just exploring. Leds prices are going to plummet soon. If i bought a 600 or 800w from advanced i seriously doubt id recoup my money before led prices hit the floor. Its already begun its march down. Im still looking because my brother would like something like this. I ordered a small spotlight from advanced, wanted the veg blue panel, but couldn't afford it.
Hard not to look at the prices this chinese company gives me and wonder why cant i just buy straight from the source. Like i said earlier, all this will be nothing soon as the prices plummet

Hopefully i can get a little bit more money soon and just get the real thing.

And im usually pretty big on buying local, its just hard when everybody and their mom undercuts you with chinese products and everything American is more expensive most of the time. Double edged sword and all. Damned if you do, damned if you dont., Know what i mean?

@corners....i believe advanced are only made in US or so they claim so if some china company is telling you they make it they may be BSing you and i would really think about it. As for prices of leds, i honestly don't think they are going to drop in that fast of a time period just look at regular leds for houses that have been around for a while now, they are still expensive and holding value, if you wait too long you prob could recoup cost by then, if you buy some crazy foreign one even with warranty you may be getting yourself into more headache than its worth. I think you might wanna try the advanced led with 90 day money back, veg with a T5, switch over to a advanced for flower and see what happens. Right now for me with veg it seems good.:high-five:

Advanced uses US Made Chips (or did until very recently) the units are still assembled in China. As far as I know all LED grow lights on the market are assembled in China. The difference is in the design and components. Advanced was only using US made chips in the panel until they found a higher quality chip to use. They are constantly seeking improvement in their lights and will only use the best quality components. That includes the LED chip, the heat sinks, the lenses, the case, and the drivers (power supply).

Yes, you can buy a factory direct unit for less, but they are not using the same quality components. If you do some research on the cost of a quality individual LED chip (look for a Bridgelux or CREE) and you will see they can cost a few dollars each. Now if you put 288 of those into a unit you can see where the cost comes from. I am sure they get a volume discount but the bottom line is, they are using higher quality parts than the basic drop-ship lights.

To recap:
1) As far as I know, all of the major lights are made in China
2) Not all Chinese lights are made the same
3) Cheaper light=cheaper parts
4) Not all lights are thoroughly tested before they are ordered (light ratios etc..). Many companies try to copy-cat the leaders and just order what they think is going to work.
5) If you decide to order a cheap light from China, please start a journal. I would like to see what they can do.
6) I am willing to pay a little extra to be able to pick up a phone and say "Kyle, my power supply went out" and hear the reply "Don't worry Steve, a new one is in today's FedEx". It's hard to put a price on that.

And lastly, help support 420 by using the sponsors.

EDIT: I should caveat that by saying that Advanced LED's Extreme Flower series is still all US made Chips.

Advanced uses US Made Chips (or did until very recently) the units are still assembled in China. As far as I know all LED grow lights on the market are assembled in China. The difference is in the design and components. Advanced was only using US made chips in the panel until they found a higher quality chip to use. They are constantly seeking improvement in their lights and will only use the best quality components. That includes the LED chip, the heat sinks, the lenses, the case, and the drivers (power supply).

Yes, you can buy a factory direct unit for less, but they are not using the same quality components. If you do some research on the cost of a quality individual LED chip (look for a Bridgelux or CREE) and you will see they can cost a few dollars each. Now if you put 288 of those into a unit you can see where the cost comes from. I am sure they get a volume discount but the bottom line is, they are using higher quality parts than the basic drop-ship lights.

To recap:
1) As far as I know, all of the major lights are made in China
2) Not all Chinese lights are made the same
3) Cheaper light=cheaper parts
4) Not all lights are thoroughly tested before they are ordered (light ratios etc..). Many companies try to copy-cat the leaders and just order what they think is going to work.
5) If you decide to order a cheap light from China, please start a journal. I would like to see what they can do.
6) I am willing to pay a little extra to be able to pick up a phone and say "Kyle, my power supply went out" and hear the reply "Don't worry Steve, a new one is in today's FedEx". It's hard to put a price on that.

And lastly, help support 420 by using the sponsors.

EDIT: I should caveat that by saying that Advanced LED's Extreme Flower series is still all US made Chips.

I also found out they dont come with any optic lenses, about .12 cents a piece and shipping is easily over 100 bucks for the smaller panels

I also found out they dont come with any optic lenses, about .12 cents a piece and shipping is easily over 100 bucks for the smaller panels
Advanced is doing free shipping until Dec 15th if you mention one of the grow journals on 420, also throwing in the rope ratchets. If you call, ask for Kyle.

SteveHman, do you work for Advanced? You seem so loyal to them?

Point 3) Cheaper Lights = Cheaper Parts - That is a ridiculous thing to say. According to this, If I imported some lights from China, and stuck a hefty price on them, that would imply that they use higher priced parts???

Point 3) Cheaper Lights = Cheaper Parts - That is a ridiculous thing to say. According to this, If I imported some lights from China, and stuck a hefty price on them, that would imply that they use higher priced parts???

If you request the spec sheet, as I have from Evergrow (the manufacturer) you will see they include in the base price 4 bands of LED.

What you are paying for from advanced is:

1) Like Steve said service, with the Chinese manufacturers you pay for the units before they ship and you pay shipping, if they are DOA it is YOUR PROBLEM.

2) Upgraded LEDs - also as Steve said the base chips in the panels are inexpensive chips, Advanced upgrades to top quality chips (cree, phillips etc) and includes light guides with the Diamond series

3) Upgraded POWER SUPPLY and Fans - The base evergrow units use sleeve bearing fans and lower quality power supplies. By dictating spec on thier componants they ensure high quality componants are used.

4) 11 spectrums of tested light. Advanced gets test light constantly with new color mixes - I know because I have been offered test lights in the past. So it is not every year they just add the most talked about spectrum and send it out, every couple months they order a new round of test lights and record results, then incorporate improvements in the next generation.

So in this was AdvacedLED is not just a reseller, they really are creating their own unique product. Just like you can put together a PC with various components and if you use a Dell case does that make it a Dell?

Evergrow is like what Aleinware used to offer, a completely custom built insides with a common outside.

Have you seen these guys with Chevy, Dodge, Ford pasted on their car windows? Its the same thing with us and advanced - we are loyal because we feel they have a better product.

1)That is not my experience, if I have had ever had a problem light, the 3 companies in China that I have dealt with have been super helpful in regards to sending out replacement parts, etc

2)The Advanced units DO NOT use CREE, Philips etc

3)The components are upgraded, but honestly, they are marginally better than the base line parts. Remember, not all Chinese manufacturers cut corners, It is in the more reputable ones best interest to use a high quality part - They do have standards, not all Chinese manufacturers are out to sell em' cheap and sell em' high.

4)11 spectrums of light? Advanced use 2 types of red, 2 types of blue, 1 white, 1 IR and 1 green - That's 7, unless they are counting the -+10nm above and below the peak nm stated. Which would make it more than 11 spectrums.

The bottom line is, many of these guys are charging +++ for what essentially is the same product.

I have contacted Advanced on numerous occasions asking for more information on the LED chips that they use - Not a single reply back yet.

@corners....i believe advanced are only made in US or so they claim so if some china company is telling you they make it they may be BSing you and i would really think about it. As for prices of leds, i honestly don't think they are going to drop in that fast of a time period just look at regular leds for houses that have been around for a while now, they are still expensive and holding value, if you wait too long you prob could recoup cost by then, if you buy some crazy foreign one even with warranty you may be getting yourself into more headache than its worth. I think you might wanna try the advanced led with 90 day money back, veg with a T5, switch over to a advanced for flower and see what happens. Right now for me with veg it seems good.:high-five:

Ive literately watched leds at lowes drop in price when i grab cfls.I also think theres actually a formula stating all this. Now, led companies can be like car companies and just charge you the same every year, if not more for the same product

Makinma,
Welcome to 420.

To answer your question, no I don't work for Advanced. I have used other manufacturers LEDs and found the ones that I bought from Advanced to outperform the others. I tend to be a brand loyalist when a product exceeds my expectations and Advanced does that.

How is cheaper lights=cheaper parts ridiculous? If you have 288 chips in a panel and it costs more to purchase the higher quality components, wouldn't you charge more for the item? Also, what non-business owners forget is that the people from Advanced also have to pay their staff, their lease on warehouse space, utilities and other costs associated with running a business, on top of that make enough of a profit to grow.

You can always buy an item direct from the source cheaper, but you lose several things in the process. Customer service is the big one for me.

I'm glad that you've had a good experience dealing directly with China, perhaps you will share your knowledge by posting a journal for us to read.

I have the price sheet so I know the markup, even if they paid the base price on the sheet they are marking up less than 100%

This is from the sales quotation DIRECT from evergrow:

2.Price Term: FOB Shenzhen
3.Payment Term: TT/ Western Union/ Money Gram

That means they deliver it to the dock in china and YOU pay. You pay for shipping both ways on a warrentee repair. (Completely at their digression if they repair it, if you ship it to them and they deem it to be your fault they will charge you.)

Yes the +-10nm counts as a band.

Direct from AdvancedLED:

"3w High Output LEDs - Bridgelux, Epistar and SemiLED"

I was of the same mind as you a couple months back, but when I did the research I found it was not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom