Magical Butter 2 Review: Making Concentrated Cannabis Oil With MB2 Machine

I'm hoping I can keep this thread alive. I'm treating my autistic/epileptic daughter with medical cannabis and am very new to this, so getting overwhelmed with all the information on different ways to use cannabis medicinally. I'm trying to decide between using a recipe like this one for making a concentrate versus using a recipe using coconut oil. What's the difference between the two? Does the everclear cook out during the reduction phase? If the concentrate is more potent, and removes the impurities from the plant, can I dilute it down with more oil after the reduction to make for better, user-friendly dosing?

I have so many questions that I've been unable to find answers to. Would really appreciate any help here guys. Thanks a bunch.

Talk to @sweetsue .

Precisely, do this! Search for her here. Get your post count up and Private message her.

I'm hoping I can keep this thread alive. I'm treating my autistic/epileptic daughter with medical cannabis and am very new to this, so getting overwhelmed with all the information on different ways to use cannabis medicinally. I'm trying to decide between using a recipe like this one for making a concentrate versus using a recipe using coconut oil. What's the difference between the two? Does the everclear cook out during the reduction phase? If the concentrate is more potent, and removes the impurities from the plant, can I dilute it down with more oil after the reduction to make for better, user-friendly dosing?

I have so many questions that I've been unable to find answers to. Would really appreciate any help here guys. Thanks a bunch.

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I'll answer below, but there are lots of people here that will help you for sure. Oh yeah, sweetsue is a great place to start.

Maybe start conversing with those with the same conditions, here:

Medical Marijuana Treatment

I would note that the term 'oil' might mean different things to different people. I use the MB2 to infuse coconut oil for edibles, which last about 4-8 hours. You can also use it to make ISO wash oil, which is concentrated cannabis oils extract suitable for vaporizing, which takes effect immediately and lasts 1-4 hours. It's good to have both, but there is likely someone here that has far more insight into what protocol will best help your daughter's specific needs.

I am familiar with seizures though. I was on Dilantin for a good spell. Canna may not cure all, but it should help greatly for what you seek, and has very little net negative downside if any. Please search some of the Med topics.

The alcohol boils off, but there may be some small residue, so be aware of that in case there are allergies. Yes, you can dilute after.

Click on this link, SweetSue's Cannabis Oil Study Hall you don't have to read the thread just ask Sue for some advise and she will give you some advise & links so you can help your Daughter. Don't worry, you can & will do this.

:cco::love::cco:

This is a must have item if your making edibles the old way. Bought one of these (Magical Butter 2 Machines) a couple months back to do something with the trim. I love making Cannabis Tinctures. :circle-of-love: Excellent pain killer. One of my friends has nerve pain in the feet that this gets rid of with a few drops. No more dangerous addictive drugs! He gave a bottle to a a woman who was suffering with spinal injuries from a car accident. She is now out of pain with only a few drops.

Of course I just took 4 dropper fulls and I'm feeling quite high. I mixed it with a swallow of water and chugged it down. The alcohol may sting your mouth so in my opinion it is best absorbed through the digestive tract.

I use 75% grain alcohol with 1/2 to 3 ounces of decarboxylated trim.

I like the tincture because:

(1) It is very medicinal. Heating in the machine with alcohol extracts not only the resin, but a broader, more complete spectrum of organic compounds of the plant.
(2) Alcohol is thinner and flows more easily when using the provided with unit(new scientific superior filter bag). Cleaning the machine afterwards i almost non existent. Oils are messy.
(3) Alcohol kills all molds or anything else you don't want in your body.
(4) You can easily control the dose needed with a dropper bottle. For this reason I prefer it too smoking. You can control exactly how high you will get.
(5) The effects last longer than smoking but not as long as eating edibles.

Magical Butter Second Generation (MB2) Review

Once in a while, a product comes along that not only exceeds expectations, but rewrites the book on them. The Magical Butter machine is just such a product. Simply put, this machine makes cannabis infused oils, butters, and now even medicinal cannabis oils and tinctures. Anybody who has tried to make cannabis infusions without this machine knows that it can be a very time consuming, messy, and challenging process. The Magical Butter machine has taken nearly all of that headache away, and put edible cannabis within reach of anyone who can afford the $174.95 price tag.

What's the Big Deal?

As cannabis becomes more and more widely recognized for it's medicinal benefits, the demand for healthy alternatives to smoking it has increased. In fact, it was just such a circumstance that lead to inventor Garyn Angel creating the Magical Butter machine. A friend of Garyn's, suffering from Crohn's disease, had heard that medicinal cannabis might be helpful to his condition – having already exhausted traditional medications that simply weren't working for him. Wanting to help, Garyn set about creating what would ultimately become the Magical Butter machine.

Creating Cannabis Infused Butter or Oil for Cooking

I'm no stranger to cannabis infused cooking oils, myself. Suffering from chronic pain and frequent muscle spasms, I occasionally use cannabis to help me stay relaxed and comfortable when the pain becomes intolerable. Like many of todays medicinal cannabis patients, I was not a smoker and had never been comfortable with inhaling smoke and toxins into my lungs. A couple of years ago, I spent countless hours researching and putting together a guide for making cannabis cooking oil so that others could avoid the costly trial and error process I went through. While my process works great, it is smelly, messy, and if done right will consume a fair portion of your day. It also requires a double boiler, candy thermometer, a lot of attention, and a bit of ingenuity. The worst part? Make a mistake, and hundreds of dollars worth of medicinal cannabis is suddenly worthless.

The process for making infused oils/butters with the Magical Butter machine? Pour the oil (or butter) into the machine, place the herb in the machine, push a couple of buttons... and wait. That's it! It's mind-blowingly simple, and the resulting infusion is fantastic. Whether making butter, cooking oil, tinctures, or even medicinal cannabis oil – the process is laughably simple when using the Magical Butter machine.

Cannabis Oil – Enemy to Cancer?

More and more research and anecdotal evidence points to a link between cannabis oil concentrates and the slowing or even stopping of developing cancers. In this sense, we are not talking about the kind of infused oil for cooking mentioned above, but rather a highly concentrated oil that can be used for medicinal purposes. It's a tarry looking substance, once created, that is a consistency similar to molasses when cooled. In this concentrated form, patients add a small amount (think in terms of a drop or drops) to food that they ingest or apply under the tongue, or on their gums. When mixed with food, it's not cooked in, but mixed into it for ingestion. Medicinal cannabis pioneers like Rick Simpson have been touting the benefits of these oils for cancer treatment for years, and the popularity and demand for such has been astronomical. The problem until now, is that the process for making this type of oil falls somewhere between daunting... and downright scary. Instructions found on the internet often involve toxic solvents and their creation are not at all for the faint of heart.

The newest version of the Magical Butter machine (MB2) makes creating medicinal oil dramatically easier and much less scary. For this review we went ahead and prepared a batch of medicinal cannabis oil.

Important note – When making cannabis oil, always make sure that you are working in a well-ventilated area, away from flames or ignition sources:

Making medicinal cannabis oil with the Magical Butter Machine

Step 1: Remove the top of the machine, and set it aside. Pour into the machine 2 ½ ounces of medicinal cannabis*.​
Step 2: Pour 750 ml of “Everclear” alcohol into the machine. If you can find the 95% version of Everclear in your state, that is preferred here, but the 75% Everclear will work (note: the oil will be of slightly better quality with the 95% Everclear).​
Step 3: Replace the top on the Magical Butter machine and plug it in. Set the temperature for 160 degrees (do not set the temperature any higher than this). Press the button labeled for tinctures “4 hours” and let the machine run. During this time the machine will heat up, buzz, whir and grind periodically as led lights flash and glow. The lights are a great whimsical touch, and actually give it a bit of a “magical” feel. After it completes the 4 hour cycle, let the machine cool for an additional half hour.​
Step 4: Pour the resulting liquid through a strainer into a container. Squeeze out as much of the liquid through the strainer as possible.​
Step 5: Carefully pour the liquid into a saucepan. Turn the heat onto warm, and allow the liquid to come to a soft boil. This process is called a "reduction" and should be well attended and stirred along the way. After about 45-60 minutes of stirring and simmering, the oil should be reduced down to a consistency similar to a warm maple syrup. The small amount of oil left, is the highly concentrated medicinal cannabis oil. Carefully pour this into your desired bottle/container. Due to it's preparation using alcohol, this oil should store for a fairly long time. Note, that in making the oil for my review that I broke the smaller container I intended to use, resulting in my putting the oil in a large jar. The large jar works, but a smaller glass container with an eyedropper would be much better, as an example. Upon completion, amount of oil will vary depending on the quality and strain of cannabis used. For me, it produced roughly 12 grams of oil.​
* Medicinal cannabis oils require a fair amount of cannabis, which in itself is daunting to some patients. Keep in mind that efficacy may be diminished if using smaller amounts.​

Minor Quibbles

Is the Magical Butter machine perfect? No, but it's pretty fantastic. The filter included with the MB2 device is a “gold” coffee filter, which works and is also an old-standby for straining these oils using more traditional old-school methods. While it performs the task just fine, it's a bit cumbersome to strain your material through. Herbal filter bags, or even cheesecloth would probably work better – and thankfully are an easy enough upgrade should someone want to simplify things even more. The coffee filter they include becomes especially difficult to use when infusing a large amount of oil and herb. It's a bit small for the 2 ½ ounces used in the medicinal oil recipe, for example.

While it really shines at making butters and oils for cooking, it has some limitations when making concentrated cannabis oil as mentioned above. The machine is unable to to replicated some freezing processes that would remove chlorophyll and increase the overall purity and quality of the oil. Still, the resulting oil seems to be an effective medicine for those considering a simpler method like this.

Also, another reviewer at 420 magazine had issues with making cannabis oil at higher elevations – it seemed that for some reason the alcohol would evaporate too fast, and had done so prior to the machine running it's 4 hour program. Having said that, we had no issues when using the machine outside of higher elevations. Still, something to consider before investing in the machine.

Lastly, the Magical Butter machine has a handy cleaning function, which probably works well for most herbal infusions, but for making cannabis oils falls a bit short. The nature of cannabis oil is that it's extremely sticky and gooey, and the called-for soap and water cleaning process won't quite cut the gooey residue left behind, at least after making concentrated cannabis oil. Thankfully, it's easily cleaned with a little bit of rubbing alcohol, which cuts through the sticky residue much more effectively than the soap and water.

Bottom Line

Especially since the inclusion of the ability to use the Magical Butter machine for medicinal cannabis oil and tinctures as part of the second iteration of the device (MB2), this machine really does revolutionize cannabis infusions. Speaking as someone who has labored for hours just to make a single batch of “magical brownies” this machine not only makes the process easier – it's almost fun. I smiled at how simple it was to operate and raised my eyebrows at the resulting oils it produced. It feels durably constructed and sturdy, and amazingly well-imagined. The cannabis oil created for this review turned out fabulously, even as it was my first time making medicinal oil like this. The resulting medicine produced was exactly as expected. Just make sure to have good ventilation for the part of the process that happens outside of the machine, as the resulting vapors can be pretty strong. Finally, the machine comes with several recipes and excellent instructions. If you are into making oils or butters for cooking, these recipes are invaluable and cover a wide range of culinary delights.

All and all, this machine works phenomenally for the functions it performs and completely exceeded my expectations. If you have been wanting to make medicinal cannabis oil, cannabis butter or cannabis infused cooking oils this machine takes a difficult, time consuming process and makes it a relative breeze.

Link to original Magical Butter review by Doc Bud: Magical Butter Product Review
Link to follow up review by Doc Bud: More on Magical Butter

xlr81.jpg

xlr82.jpg

xlr83.jpg

xlr84.jpg

xlr85.jpg

xlr86.jpg

xlr87.jpg

-----------------------------

Reviewed by Xlr8
What of using coconut oil ? I have a high tolerance to thc. Would 18 grams of trim be enough? To 500 ml coconut oil and 10 ml liquid form lecithin ?

I make butter for brownies for sleep, pain etc.. (plus I need to gain weight.) When I clarify, some of the butter is reduced, so For each cup (2 sticks of good Irish butter) I add another 1/2 stick. Ive been using trim but will go to nugs-I grow quite a bit so there are no limits re amount-the ratio maybe 1 oz decarbed nugs for a resultant cup of canna butter. The trim, it's pretty good, will be used to make bubble hash.
The only difference between the oil or butter is that with butter, you have to clarify the butter. The temps, & times are the same 160* & 2 hours. The oil recipe says 1 hour, lol, but on the other page it tells you that for coconut oil, use 2 hours. I used 2 0z of "bud shake" to 4 cups organic coconut oil. I make cookies that have a 1/2 tsp dose each average & they get me through alot of "old age pain", I have been an equipment operator most of my life in cranes, & truck cranes, & all that lower back pain, becomes bearable.

Hey KJ.

I FILL it to the line with product. It works out to be about 40g for me. Trim is good, buds too. Leafs I don't bother unless they are crusted. With that as an input, I use about 3 cups of oil, again now I just fill to the line.

My recipe: One sheetpan of weed, decarbed in the oven should fill to line, then cover with coco oil to line, and 1 Tbs of lecithin. Push the buttons, strain, clean and done. A one cubic inch of brownie made with the oil will be about 15mg of THC on my 'feel' meter, depending on how much oil the brownie recipe asks for. I look for brownies with 1/2 cup, or 2/3 cup of oil requirements and then substitute the cannacoco-oil. :Namaste:

Hey KJ.

I FILL it to the line with product. It works out to be about 40g for me. Trim is good, buds too. Leafs I don't bother unless they are crusted. With that as an input, I use about 3 cups of oil, again now I just fill to the line.

My recipe: One sheetpan of weed, decarbed in the oven should fill to line, then cover with coco oil to line, and 1 Tbs of lecithin. Push the buttons, strain, clean and done. A one cubic inch of brownie made with the oil will be about 15mg of THC on my 'feel' meter, depending on how much oil the brownie recipe asks for. I look for brownies with 1/2 cup, or 2/3 cup of oil requirements and then substitute the cannacoco-oil. :Namaste:
How long do you run your oil for with decarbee buds or trim? If you don’t mind me asking

How long do you run your oil for with decarbee buds or trim? If you don’t mind me asking

I decarb in the oven 225 for 15-20... usually pull it out by smell if it starts to cook too much, let cool but not really needed, throw in MB2, and run as per directed. I think my settings are 160F on the Butter setting, so two hours. I run trim (sugar only) and old buds that I never got to consume otherwise. Usually 3/4 sugar trim, 1/4 sub-prime buds. :) And lechithin when I remember. And it is worth remembering. :smokin:

For 500ml , I would add 28 grams of the best you have on hand, or can spare, if you have a high tolerance. Sugar trim works great, but buds are the absolute best. I use mostly trim... unless I have buds I want to get rid of.

I decarb in the oven 225 for 15-20... usually pull it out by smell if it starts to cook too much, let cool but not really needed, throw in MB2, and run as per directed. I think my settings are 160F on the Butter setting, so two hours. I run trim (sugar only) and old buds that I never got to consume otherwise. Usually 3/4 sugar trim, 1/4 sub-prime buds. :) And lechithin when I remember. And it is worth remembering. :smokin:

For 500ml , I would add 28 grams of the best you have on hand, or can spare, if you have a high tolerance. Sugar trim works great, but buds are the absolute best. I use mostly trim... unless I have buds I want to get rid of.
Oh see someone is suggesting 6-8 hrs for the oil .. I ran two hrs today but added the lecithin in with trim and oil . Was told after might be better to add lecithin after down cooking ? But then manually stirred seems silly why would one want to not add in so it can stir evenly over time . Lecithin is critical to add as it helps the process out a lot breaking it down better no? So why wouldn’t you want to add that in with all others ?

Guess it is trial and error also depends on quality of buds im sure as well. :reading420magazine::hmmmm:

Oh see someone is suggesting 6-8 hrs for the oil .. I ran two hrs today but added the lecithin in with trim and oil . Was told after might be better to add lecithin after down cooking ? But then manually stirred seems silly why would one want to not add in so it can stir evenly over time . Lecithin is critical to add as it helps the process out a lot breaking it down better no? So why wouldn’t you want to add that in with all others ?

Guess it is trial and error also depends on quality of buds im sure as well. :reading420magazine::hmmmm:

I'm extracting into coconut oil, which is a 2 hr setting, as directed. You can run it twice, or longer sure - I do not. If you are making 'oil', of the variety that is usable with a pen/vape ... with the MB2, that is a different proposition, and a process I don't do enough to really speak on.

Lecithin in coconut extraction is not critical at all, it's an emulsive, which aids the process, but doesn't add anything. I've run mine without it plenty of times, and only one hour instead of two, and it's still very strong. :Namaste:

rso-dosage-calendar-chart1.png

Back
Top Bottom