Magnesium Deficiency? Pics

Chibs

420 Member
Hi, I'm 70% sure this is Magnesium deficiency but I also started using liquid koolbloom about 1 week before the showed up. So I've cut off the koolbloom and added Cal/Mag to my nute mix to see if it remedies it. It's only been 2 days so yet to see any improvement from the nute change. What do you all think? appreciate the advice!

20210914_202650.jpg

20210914_202718.jpg

20210914_202729.jpg

Hi, I'm 70% sure this is Magnesium deficiency but I also started using liquid koolbloom about 1 week before the showed up. So I've cut off the koolbloom and added Cal/Mag to my nute mix to see if it remedies it. It's only been 2 days so yet to see any improvement from the nute change. What do you all think? appreciate the advice!

20210914_202650.jpg

20210914_202718.jpg

20210914_202729.jpg
Hey @Chibs welcome to 420magazine my friend.
What are you growing in?
Coco?
Stay safe.
BILL

hi Bill, Thanks for the warm welcome!

Soil w/ Perlite.
General Hydroponic's nute line with soft water. 600 - 800ppm
Current PH of soil is 6.5 though it's creeping up so I might add some ph down next water
Tent Temp stays around 21-23 degress celcius

These are clones of the grow I just finished in which I had two of the same strain growing. Only one showed these symptoms, which happens to be the one I grab clones I'm growing now. The other plant that I grew got feed the same nutes but didn't show any of the same symptoms. Unfortunately I didnt take clones of this plant.

I was using Cal/Mag during veg but I had been told they don't need it during flower.

Cheers

Hi Chibs - What is the NPK ratio of your base mix of nutes, ie before you add 0-10-10?
Yes, they do need CaMg and N in flower just less so than veg
Try getting your pH down to 5.8-6.2, other than that I can't see any reason - first look suggests to me P or K but that cannot be the case here unless there is some kind of lockout

hi Bill, Thanks for the warm welcome!

Soil w/ Perlite.
General Hydroponic's nute line with soft water. 600 - 800ppm
Current PH of soil is 6.5 though it's creeping up so I might add some ph down next water
Tent Temp stays around 21-23 degress celcius

These are clones of the grow I just finished in which I had two of the same strain growing. Only one showed these symptoms, which happens to be the one I grab clones I'm growing now. The other plant that I grew got feed the same nutes but didn't show any of the same symptoms. Unfortunately I didnt take clones of this plant.

I was using Cal/Mag during veg but I had been told they don't need it during flower.

Cheers
Try keeping your ph at 6.2.
Use calmag throughout flowering.
How long have they been in that soil.
Are you alternating with water and letting dry properly.
Feed let dry give water let dry feed let dry water let dry?
Stay safe.
Bill

Sorry, I aint good at working out what the actual NPK ratio all up but here is the ratios on the bottles. I'm mixing it at 3/4 strength. If I was to follow the bottle, it'd be 10 litres of water.

14 Litres of Water
Micro (6-0-1-0) 14ml
Veg (4-1-6-1) 7ml
Bloom (0-3-4-2) 21ml
I was adding 12ml of (0-10-10) koolbloom til they started showing bad signs.

I did a flush, cut the koolbloom from the mix and started adding 10ml of cal/mag but that was just one day ago so yet to see if it helps.

Try keeping your ph at 6.2.
Use calmag throughout flowering.
How long have they been in that soil.
Are you alternating with water and letting dry properly.
Feed let dry give water let dry feed let dry water let dry?
Stay safe.
Bill

I only use the soil for one grow then it goes into my compost.
And yes, I let the soil dry. Usually i water every 4-5 days tll late flower when they get really thirsty and i find myself watering every 3 days.

This plant might be thirsty for Magnesium. If you read back you'll see that I grew another plant from the same seed batch along side the original mother plant that these plants from. The mother plant suffered the same thing happening last grow but a little later on. The other plant I grew didn't suffer the same effects, I was feeding them both the exact same nute mix and they both had the same soil. Unfortunately I only took cuttings from the one plant that happened to be the one that turned out to have senstivity issues. It showed the strongest genes til I put them into flower, etc.

I only use the soil for one grow then it goes into my compost.
And yes, I let the soil dry. Usually i water every 4-5 days tll late flower when they get really thirsty and i find myself watering every 3 days.

This plant might be thirsty for Magnesium. If you read back you'll see that I grew another plant from the same seed batch along side the original mother plant that these plants from. The mother plant suffered the same thing happening last grow but a little later on. The other plant I grew didn't suffer the same effects, I was feeding them both the exact same nute mix and they both had the same soil. Unfortunately I only took cuttings from the one plant that happened to be the one that turned out to have senstivity issues. It showed the strongest genes til I put them into flower, etc.
Just curious to see how long she been in that pot?
Wondering if she been in it long enough to get a lock out.
Adjust your ph, add calmag and see if the condition subsides.
Stay safe.
Bill

The effected leaves started at the top of the plant..the bottom leaves haven't been effected so far. I've attached more pics to give you a idea of the setup, etc. It's a little cramped but I've got ventialtion, etc.
20210915_003518.jpg
20210915_003602.jpg
20210915_003623.jpg
20210915_003506.jpg
20210915_003610.jpg

Just curious to see how long she been in that pot?
Wondering if she been in it long enough to get a lock out.
Adjust your ph, add calmag and see if the condition subsides.
Stay safe.
Bill
Only for 2months. It was grown from a cutting in a smaller pot for the first month or so. Then i repotted it and veg for another month before flower. It's now just after 4 weeks flowering

You gotta get your head around nute rates mate, it's kind of important
So your current mix is 1ml/L Micro & Kool with 0.5ml/L Veg & Bloom
That seems out of balance
I am not familiar with your nutes and can't really work out the %s from your post
In flower your overall NPK ratio should be something like 3-5-4 & CaMg, plus an occasional PK 10/10 weeks 3-5
Blind guess, but something like 2ml Veg, 4ml Bloom + 1ml Micro sounds more usual to me
Don't just take my maths, read the labels and correct me if I'm wrong

Micro (6-0-1-0) 14ml
Veg (4-1-6-1) 7ml
Bloom (0-3-4-2) 7ml
Has GH changed the formulation? Or is this not the Flora series? (which I have down as):
Micro (5-0-1)
Gro (2-1-6)
Bloom (0-5-4)

Using those NPKs at your dosing provides:

73ppm N
15ppm P
57ppm K
62ppm Ca
18ppm Mg

With 3.25ml/gal KoolBloom,

73ppm N
57 P
139 K
everything else the same

Using your stated NPKs (no KoolBloom):

96ppm N
10ppm P
57ppm K
62 Ca
18 Mg

I’d say that they are likely underfed.

You gotta get your head around nute rates mate, it's kind of important
So your current mix is 1ml/L Micro & Kool with 0.5ml/L Veg & Bloom
That seems out of balance
I am not familiar with your nutes and can't really work out the %s from your post
In flower your overall NPK ratio should be something like 3-5-4 & CaMg, plus an occasional PK 10/10 weeks 3-5
Blind guess, but something like 2ml Veg, 4ml Bloom + 1ml Micro sounds more usual to me
Don't just take my maths, read the labels and correct me if I'm wrong
Sorry, I had the wrong amount of Bloom. It's 21mls.
I understand NPK and the different mix ratios depending on the phase of the plant, I just not good calculating all the different values of the bottle i'm using to come up with a total NPK ratio. Like I said, the nute mix didn't effect one plant but effected another so it's something to do with this particular plant from which I took cuttings. It either doesn't like 0-10-10 or is Mag hungry.

The normal mix per bottle is:
Micro 1.4ml/ltr
Veg .7ml/ltr
Bloom 2.1ml/ltr
I have been using 3/4 strength nutes though as these nutes tend to burn if used at full strength.

The problem is spreading like nute burn, it goes from top to bottom, effecting the younger leaves first. But there isn't any yellowing before, just brown forms on the tips and on the leaf in between the leaf veins. Unlike nute burn, the brown tends to form in between the leaf veins before moving to the tip of the leaf. Nute burn tends to start at the tip.

Sorry, I had the wrong amount of Bloom. It's 21mls.
I understand NPK and the different mix ratios depending on the phase of the plant, I just not good calculating all the different values of the bottle i'm using to come up with a total NPK ratio. Like I said, the nute mix didn't effect one plant but effected another so it's something to do with this particular plant from which I took cuttings. It either doesn't like 0-10-10 or is Mag hungry.

The normal mix per bottle is:
Micro 1.4ml/ltr
Veg .7ml/ltr
Bloom 2.1ml/ltr
I have been using 3/4 strength nutes though as these nutes tend to burn if used at full strength.

The problem is spreading like nute burn, it goes from top to bottom, effecting the younger leaves first. But there isn't any yellowing before, just brown forms on the tips and on the leaf in between the leaf veins. Unlike nute burn, the brown tends to form in between the leaf veins before moving to the tip of the leaf. Nute burn tends to start at the tip.
So starts with tips and new growth - that tells you it's a mobile nute def N,P,K,Ca,Mg
A dose of PK/CaMg should stop progression of the brown usually associated with K def
I don't understand how such tiny doses can risk burn, but only you have the label so IDK

Has GH changed the formulation? Or is this not the Flora series? (which I have down as):
Micro (5-0-1)
Gro (2-1-6)
Bloom (0-5-4)

Using those NPKs at your dosing provides:

73ppm N
15ppm P
57ppm K
62ppm Ca
18ppm Mg

With 3.25ml/gal KoolBloom,

73ppm N
57 P
139 K
everything else the same

Using your stated NPKs (no KoolBloom):

96ppm N
10ppm P
57ppm K
62 Ca
18 Mg

I’d say that they are likely underfed.

I'm using Terra Aquatica which is owned the the original owners of GH before they sold it. GH has become harder to get where I live and way more expansive. Going to switch to Emerald Harvest nutes after these nutes are finished to try something new for once. Been using GH line for years! but like it said..it's hard to get now. Maybe cause of Covid..don't know. And it's more $$$ than it was...

I guess TA changed the ratios a bit.
I forgot to add that I also add 2ml's of the Floralicious Plus per 14 litres of water.

I took some pics of the nutes

20210915_014829.jpg

20210915_015056.jpg

20210915_015047.jpg

20210915_014752.jpg

20210915_014802.jpg

20210915_014704.jpg

20210915_014743.jpg

So starts with tips and new growth - that tells you it's a mobile nute def N,P,K,Ca,Mg
A dose of PK/CaMg should stop progression of the brown usually associated with K def
I don't understand how such tiny doses can risk burn, but only you have the label so IDK
700-800ppm with all the nutes added which about right for growing in soil.

You can see the mix ratio on the far right which is the flower stage. 1.3 -1.7ec.

Using the provided information (except that I didn’t catch how much CalMag or enough of the label):

122ppm N
27 P
97 K
65 Ca
19 Mg

Looks low on K. A little CalMag would also round it out. But not too much - perhaps 1ml/L if it’s something like 2%N, 4%Ca and 1%Mg.

The above is without KoolBloom.

I dont believe magnesium would cause necrosis directly.
First it would have interveinal chlorosis, and mostly on lower growth and you dont seem to be having it.

Do you know about the pourthrough procedure?
I would advise you to try it to see the nutritional status of your pots and the pH. If you dont have a ph meter, try a ph strips for pool sampling.
It may be excess of something.
Or PH too acid, causing iron toxicity.

But to really know it, you have to test it.

Using the provided information (except that I didn’t catch how much CalMag or enough of the label):

122ppm N
27 P
97 K
65 Ca
19 Mg

Looks low on K. A little CalMag would also round it out. But not too much - perhaps 1ml/L if it’s something like 2%N, 4%Ca and 1%Mg.

The above is without KoolBloom.
I have some potash I can boost the K with. Thanks for the info...i'll try it out

Yes, I know how to test PH from runoff. I posted the PH above. it's currently 6.5 heading to 7

Back
Top Bottom