Magnus8's Canna Cream, Body Butter & Canna Lotion Study Hall

But I'm going to have to continue growing without nutrients for a long time, I fear, because I just cannot afford them.
Many of us here are finding success with MegaCrop from greenleafnutrients.com. They'll ship you a 500 gram sample for the cost of shipping, and with a range between 4-6 grams/gallon through the grow, that's around 100 gallons.

It grows great plants, so you might want to give that a try if it's in the budget. And if you like it, it's much cheaper to buy than most other nute lines.

Many of us here are finding success with MegaCrop from greenleafnutrients.com. They'll ship you a 500 gram sample for the cost of shipping, and with a range between 4-6 grams/gallon through the grow, that's around 100 gallons.

It grows great plants, so you might want to give that a try if it's in the budget. And if you like it, it's much cheaper to buy than most other nute lines.
Thanks so much, but with a budget that leaves me with only $175/month for food AND incidentals, it might still be out of my range. But I'll check out the free sample for sure.

:ciao:Hi Magnus, so good to see you back online. Sorry to hear of (Summer of grief) the hard times.
How old is Greta? Good luck on the estate.:goodluck:
I love my pumpkin infused oil.
Life's good here except for bring cold--being winter and all:rofl:
I was privileged to meet a few members this year and grow a few buds
All is well enough in my life.
:thumb:

Hi Hasgirl! Hi InTheShed!

The strain of cannabis is not the problem here. The problem, for two summers in a row, is that I've grown outside but the growing season has been cut so short both years that my plants were never able to fully flower. You dont get much magic when your plants have been in flower only 2 or three weeks before the early frost hits! When I tried to grow inside this year, however, I had no -- zero -- nutes to give them. So no nutrients grows a rather weak and lackluster weed. But I'm going to have to continue growing without nutrients for a long time, I fear, because I just cannot afford them. The harvest I did get from these undernourished plants was stronger than what I grew the two summers before, but still not on par with what I could purchase if I had the cash. I may still try to make some cannabutter from what I've got. There's a cheesecake recipe I've got my eye on, as well as a flourless chocolate cake I'm thinking of making for my upcoming birthday. Either would do well as edibles. Also, with my ex visiting me from Ontario this month it's one way to ensure I get to eat the whole cake by myself. You see, she doesn't like getting stoned -- silly thing that she is.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of making liquid soap and it is time for the next phase in production so I must run.

Hope everyone is well.

Magnus.

HI Magnus.

I can't afford the equipment to grow indoors, so have to make do outdoors. I also have a spine injury, haven't been able to work in five years, and have been denied all assistance, so I feel you on the money front.

I'm on the 43rd parallel, and through some cheap season extension I had plants finish on November 4th with 6 inches of snow on the ground. If you check out some of the larger farm supply places they sell remnants of greenhouse plastic. My girlfriend bought me a piece for my birthday. That, some pvc pipe, duct tape, rebar and other odds and ends laying around the farm let me successfully harvest in a challenging climate. It got destroyed in a windstorm Thanksgiving morning, but I saved the plastic and will start over next year.

That's the hard part. Cheap nutrients are the easy part.

The biggest thing you can do is start compost. Ideally worm compost. It's much easier to let those little guys do the work than using a pitchfork to do it yourself. Once you are done with the initial set up, it involves no more work than taking out the trash. Mix it into your existing soil. Making compost tea with it can help feed your soil bacteria which in turn will help unlock free nutrients already in your soil but unavailable to your plants in their current form.

Bulk rabbit food, you know the pellets in the 50# bag, those are alfalfa meal. Great source of nitrogen and cheap.

Wood ash for your potassium needs. Plenty of wood stoves just pooping this stuff out in the great white north.

We've been growing plants since long before there were plastic bottles. Don't let the lack of the dollars keep you from being successful. Just get creative.

been growing plants since long before there were plastic bottles.
:thumb:

If you can locate stinging nettle growing anywhere in your area (it a weed so should be somewhere!) it is a complete plant food. You can make a FPJ with it (put a bunch of it in a large bucket, fill bucket wth water, cover loosely, stir daily for a few weeks until ready) which works great but is a very stinky process, but you can also just boil it up on the stove and feed your plants with the tea it makes - you can drink it too, highly nutritious! Then the leftover pulp goes into the compost.

It’s a whole process for sure, embarking on a grow like that, so one needs to be up for the journey. It’s absolutely possible tho.
Glad to see you came through seem pretty tough times and are landing on your feet Magnus! :Namaste:

@Cannabinerd awesome username! :D And you’re still fairly new so, :welcome: to 420 Magazine!

Hi,

I've read and enjoyed this full thread and I'm looking for some advice/input into making a butter.
I infused material into grapeseed oil and it is pretty dark and fully decarbed.
Pics over at Sue's pressure cooker thread but this is what I have

What do I already have -
Soy Wax flakes
Beeswax pellets
Tea Tree oil
Peppermint Oil
Pumpkin Seed oil
Cocoa Butter

All bought after reading this thread.
Should I add in Pumpkin Seed, oil which would dilute the strength somewhat or just look at thickening it to a solid?

Interestingly, I found it difficult to take away the smell with the essential oils and the grapeseed extraction smells the same as the olive oil extraction I did previously.
I tried some in roller bottles with Tea Tree oil and could see from this that my mother would probably need a solid butter.

I'll start small with some test batches.
Any suggestions on components and ratios ?

My target is arthritis, back pain and eczema so probably different components and ratios for all.

Many thanks.

D

My target is arthritis, back pain and eczema so probably different components and ratios for all.

We have very similar targets. I've also got a friend with fibromyalgia that I would like to help.

The learning process isn't easy as there seems to be a lot of contradictory information out there.

I'm new at this, but one thing I have seen pretty across the board is that medium chain triglyceride (MCT) oil seems to be the way to go for eczema. Other oils seem to exacerbate the problem.

Hi,

I've read and enjoyed this full thread and I'm looking for some advice/input into making a butter.

What do I already have -
Soy Wax flakes
Beeswax pellets
Tea Tree oil
Peppermint Oil
Pumpkin Seed oil
Cocoa Butter

Should I add in Pumpkin Seed, oil which would dilute the strength somewhat or just look at thickening it to a solid?

Interestingly, I found it difficult to take away the smell with the essential oils and the grapeseed extraction smells the same as the olive oil extraction I did previously.
I tried some in roller bottles with Tea Tree oil and could see from this that my mother would probably need a solid butter.

Many thanks.

D

Hello.

Since you've already infused your cannabis with grapeseed oil, there's no need to add pumpkin seed oil, too. At this point, I usually add my beeswax and butters. And, then I add about 20 drops of peppermint oil and 20 drops of tea tree oil, both of which are good for pain relief.

I use my cream mainly for severe osteoarthritis in my knees and it works really well.

Magnus posted these ratios for me when I made my first canna cream:

Start your beeswax at 4% and add more until reaching up to 8%. I wouldn't go higher than that for reasons already stated - absorption problems.

Keep your Shea Butter at 2% until you've added as much beeswax as you're going to and then, if it is still too thin, mix in another 2% of the Shea butter.

Shea Butter can get pretty greasy pretty quickly so you might not want to add more than a total of 4% of your total mixture. If you've got 8% beeswax and 4% Shea Butter and it is still thin, apart from adding cocoa butter, I'd say be happy with what you've concocted from your own two hands.

Hi,

What do I already have -
Soy Wax flakes
Beeswax pellets
Tea Tree oil
Peppermint Oil
Pumpkin Seed oil
Cocoa Butter
Many thanks.
D
My oil is made from 50/50 pumpkin seed and grapeseed oils, and it gets absorbed very quickly. Pumpkin seed is fastest I believe but can make spreading it around tougher for that reason. Adding more oil now would dilute it so check to see if you're getting the effect you want before cutting it with any other oil.

Keeping in mind that anyt thickeners you add to the oil will make it less absorbent, soy wax is easier to clean up and beeswax is tougher to clean but is a mild anti-inflammatory. I don't use essential oils to mask the scent, but play around with small batches to see what you like before adding it to the main batch.

I don't know about the eczema aspect, but I have found that topical pain oil works best when applied to pain that is near the surface of the skin, like knees, elbows, toes, and hands. Pain that is buried under fat and muscle like lower back or hip pain is best dealt with by applying it to the Medial Dorsal Rami (described here) where the cervical vertabrae meet the top of the spine. The post explains the reason.

Massaging oil into the part where it hurts is a good idea, but targeting the nerves as they enter the skull is a spot not to miss.

:goodluck:

Thanks everyone.
I remember the Medial Dorsi Rami discussion where I was feeling the back of my neck and decided I couldn't find it ( or didn't have one), haha.

Yes, I expect the arthritis and back pain concoctions to be different.

I'm going to keep it as strong as possible, so I'll leave it with grapeseed oil and forget the pumpkin seed oil addition for now.

I'll try a small 50:50 ml to mg ratio of Soy Wax to my extraction ala Sue.

Then I have the beeswax also to try with my oil.
Have any of you used beeswax and cocoa butter?

Do I need to buy Shea butter?

I've also toyed with the idea of adding the oil to Cetraben, Sudocrem or others.
The result will probably be just a mess, but you have an idea where my thinking is taking me.

If there is a cheap enough carrier lotion or cream already out there, I'm happy to piggy back on it.

I've used both cocoa butter and shea butter at different times. I also have some mango butter that I haven't tried yet.

I make and sell my canna-cream and people really like the cocoa butter and peppermint oil one, smell-wise. :battingeyelashes:

I've used both cocoa butter and shea butter at different times. I also have some mango butter that I haven't tried yet.

I make and sell my canna-cream and people really like the cocoa butter and peppermint oil one, smell-wise. :battingeyelashes:
I'm liking the idea of cocoa butter and peppermint oil.
If I used 50ml of oil, how much cocoa butter and peppermint oil would I be looking at as a rough starting point ?

I'm liking the idea of cocoa butter and peppermint oil.
If I used 50ml of oil, how much cocoa butter and peppermint oil would I be looking at as a rough starting point ?

I'm not good at math. Just ask anyone. Right, Shed? :laughtwo:

But, here's my recipe and you can do with it what you can to make your measurements fit, okay?

Canna-Cream – April 8, 2018

Ingredients (Weigh all ingredients):

• 28 grams of beeswax to a max of 34.8g
  • 22 grams of shea butter (max) or 14 grams of cocoa butter (max)
  • 10 grams of decarbed Hash Plant
  • 274 grams of sweet almond oil, which includes 174 grams infused with cannabis
  • and, still to be added – tea tree oil, peppermint oil* and maybe lavender oil
*peppermint oil and cocoa butter go well together

Instructions:

• Decarb cannabis in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes.
  • Add 174g of the sweet almond oil to mini crockpot and decarbed cannabis. Stir off and on over 3 hours.
  • When the infusion is done, strain the plant material and then add 100 grams of uninfused sweet almond oil, the beeswax and shea butter.
  • Once it has melted, move to the fridge or freezer to see how well it sets.
  • If it’s too runny, re-melt it and add more beeswax (but be careful and only add 1 gram at a time as too much beeswax can hinder absorption); adding more butter is another possibility but with it you have to be careful it doesn’t get too greasy.
  • Honestly, it gets easier the more often you make it.

I found an interesting recipe for sunscreen made with coconut, raspberry, and carrot oils. The possibilities are obvious. :battingeyelashes:

Has anyone worked with sunscreen yet?
Hi SweetSue. I just saw this post.

I did a sunscreen lotion a few years back and made enough of it that I still use it. I used carrot seed oil as my sunblock and I believe that may have been my only oil apart from some shea butter as my hard oil requirement.

It worked very well. It was summer at the time and my wide and I were working outdoor markets selling soap. We were outside a lot and my homemade sunscreen lotion worked brilliantly.

Magnus

I'm not good at math. Just ask anyone. Right, Shed? :laughtwo:

But, here's my recipe and you can do with it what you can to make your measurements fit, okay?

Canna-Cream – April 8, 2018

Ingredients (Weigh all ingredients):

• 28 grams of beeswax to a max of 34.8g
  • 22 grams of shea butter (max) or 14 grams of cocoa butter (max)
  • 10 grams of decarbed Hash Plant
  • 274 grams of sweet almond oil, which includes 174 grams infused with cannabis
  • and, still to be added – tea tree oil, peppermint oil* and maybe lavender oil
*peppermint oil and cocoa butter go well together

Instructions:

• Decarb cannabis in the oven at 230F for 110 minutes.
  • Add 174g of the sweet almond oil to mini crockpot and decarbed cannabis. Stir off and on over 3 hours.
  • When the infusion is done, strain the plant material and then add 100 grams of uninfused sweet almond oil, the beeswax and shea butter.
  • Once it has melted, move to the fridge or freezer to see how well it sets.
  • If it’s too runny, re-melt it and add more beeswax (but be careful and only add 1 gram at a time as too much beeswax can hinder absorption); adding more butter is another possibility but with it you have to be careful it doesn’t get too greasy.
  • Honestly, it gets easier the more often you make it.
I can work with this. Thanks.

Hi SweetSue. I just saw this post.

I did a sunscreen lotion a few years back and made enough of it that I still use it. I used carrot seed oil as my sunblock and I believe that may have been my only oil apart from some shea butter as my hard oil requirement.

It worked very well. It was summer at the time and my wide and I were working outdoor markets selling soap. We were outside a lot and my homemade sunscreen lotion worked brilliantly.

Magnus

Well there you are Magnus. :hug: We’ve missed you. :kisstwo:

Good to know about the carrot oil. I’ll be looking more closely at this recipe for others. I tan beautifully here by the Gulf Coast. I don’t think I burned at all this year, and I’m still tanned a month or more since we had to start wearing more clothes. Lol!

Good to know about the carrot oil. I’ll be looking more closely at this recipe for others. I tan beautifully here by the Gulf Coast. I don’t think I burned at all this year, and I’m still tanned a month or more since we had to start wearing more clothes. Lol!

Hi Sue, I've been doing research on the safety aspects of various essential oils to hopefully add some bonus medical value into our topical recipes and am getting ready to do a series of posts on it. Carrot oil is one that stuck in my head, so I checked again real quick. Some sources claim that carrot oil has the potential to be phototoxic, so you might want to do a little digging before using it in a sunscreen. If that is the case, it would have to be used in small amounts to remain safe.

I was down a scientific document rabbit hole last night and came across some other interesting info about topical use of carrot oil. I'll see if I can find it again.

Back
Top Bottom